$69 motorized varifocal 4x (2.8mm-12mm) Longse

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yes he seemed to be very eager to help and well promote their products. I am not sure to whom he sent 400 PMs, which does seem excessive, but I got only a few messages from him.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@klasipca - putty caches commands in the terminal, if you still have it open you can use the up and down arrow keys to go backward and forward, respectively, through your command history to recreate his l33t steps

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Lets start with some sample images at night. Huisun is running 8k bitrate (maximum in NVR) while Longse 12k bitrate. Keep in mind both use the same IMX322+S2L. This is patch black setting, so only IR light.

So far my findings:
Image quality appears slight better then Huisun mini v2 with ISO+ setting on, without it about the same
Zoom speed is kind of slow, but without PT functions it really doesn't matter
Focus while not instant seems to be spot on, need to spend more time testing it
No corridor mode (unlike s500)

Body is identical s500, only difference as we know it are internals, I took it apart, but didn't see anything exciting. The cord is too long with external POE module. All parts have solid all metal build. Feels like an expensive cam which would last.

Interface with the PTZ button

The PTZ menu, even though there is no PTZ, just Z

Full wide. IR on. Default ISO+ setting

Full wide. IR on + Huisun IR on. Default ISO+ setting

Full wide. IR on. Disabled ISO+ setting

Full Tele. IR On. Default ISO+ setting

Full Tele. IR On. Disabled ISO+ setting

Huisun v2 full wide

Huisun v2 1.8x zoom

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, glad you got this working finally.. can you do a sample video showing how well it responds and how fast it focuses when playing with the zoom level? Most varifocals in this price range are horribly slow when compared with a typical PTZ's zoom.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are pretty good low-light images - what's impressive is the sharpness and lack of noise. That makes such a big difference.
For the price I'd say that's a very good value camera.
I'm more than tempted to swap out some of what I currently have installed.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @klasipca, great shots. The last image is from the v2 x4?? If so that is 100% better than my x4.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pics look great @klasipca. How does motion from this can look? Any motion blur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Comparing Auto zoom cam to s500 on this video. The zoom functionality sometimes slow to activate or lags when you click the button, probably needs a firmware fix, but realistically I don't see myself using zoom on it at all without ability to Pan/Tilt. Focus is fine.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Full size comparison between the two cams. (open in another video to see full picture). The light is from IR from both cams. Tested motion, no ghosting or anything weird.

S500

VF

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
One more video and I think it covers it. As you know it compression on youtube kills quality, but screenshots above is what you can expect. I am wondering what that ISO+ setting does which enabled by default and improves picture substantially (which btw causes to lose connection to the cam as you can see on the video)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Couple images from mini dome with 3MP IMX124. Not really impressed with night image from this cam or microphone sensitivity, but it was cheap.

ISO+ off

ISO+ on

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
To summarize:

PROS:
Surprisingly excellent image quality day and night (with IR). Image is sharp at full wide and tele. No ghosting or anything out of the ordinary using default settings. Considering that Huisun v2 uses the same sensor, this VF cam has a slight advantage in IQ.
Focus works very well, not instant, but accurate.
Works with Hikvision NVR as expected (recording, as well as motion alerts). Zoom/Focus work as well
Works in Android app (Tiny Cam Pro). Zoom function does not work.
Solid all metal build quality

NEUTRAL:
Zoom function is not instant, lags behind occasionally when you attempt to zoom in/out. Not an issue though if you don't expect to constantly abuse zoom feature.
Long pigtail cable with external POE

OTHER:
No Corridor mode
ISO+ setting (enabled by default). I don't see any reason to use Normal mode which degrades picture.
Firmware bugs. Switching between Normal and ISO+ crashes UI. Occasionally stops responding for a few seconds when zooming in/out

Overall, this camera is quite good considering its price point, very good night time performance with IR and motorized VF function which gives you a flexibility with mounting cam and fine tuning afterwards. I am actually surprised that it manages to provide almost as good night time image as Longse s500 which you can seen in the screenshots above. This might become my new favorite cam over Longse s500 which lacks lens/vf options.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does it have a card slot? Thaks for the review.

To summarize:

PROS:
Surprisingly excellent image quality day and night (with IR). Image is sharp at full wide and tele. No ghosting or anything out of the ordinary using default settings. Considering that Huisun v2 uses the same sensor, this VF cam has a slight advantage in IQ.
Focus works very well, not instant, but accurate.
Works with Hikvision NVR as expected (recording, as well as motion alerts). Zoom function to be tested, but I suspect it doesn't work
Works in Android app (Tiny Cam Pro). Zoom function does not work.
Solid all metal build quality

NEUTRAL:
Zoom function is not instant, lags behind occasionally when you attempt to zoom in/out. Not an issue though if you don't expect to constantly abuse zoom feature.
Long pigtail cable with external POE

OTHER:
No Corridor mode
ISO+ setting (enabled by default). I don't see any reason to use Normal mode which degrades picture.
Firmware bugs. Switching between Normal and ISO+ crashes UI. Occasionally stops responding for a few seconds when zooming in/out

Overall, this camera is quite good considering its price point, very good night time performance with IR and motorized VF function which gives you a flexibility with mounting cam and fine tuning afterwards. I am actually surprised that it manages to provide almost as good night time image as Longse s500 which you can seen in the screenshots above. This might become my new favorite cam over Longse s500 which lacks lens/vf options.