5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and tips. I prefer the alerts in the cameras to those in BI because I have already used the camera alerts for home automation functions. I’ll keep asking about it from time to time and hopefully the developer will have a look.
I heard back for BI support today. All is well!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve abandoned sub streams for the time being, too many things going wrong, biggest issue is clips not correctly appearing in the time line, so playing an alert with a picture of the alert actually plays back another clip.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve abandoned sub streams for the time being, too many things going wrong, biggest issue is clips not correctly appearing in the time line, so playing an alert with a picture of the alert actually plays back another clip.
Did you turn off use RTSP timecode yet

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you turn off use RTSP timecode yet
Just checked, I hadn't. Now that you mention I do remember reading of people with funny date/time stamps on clips but that's not what I an seeing. I get everything in the proper order listed but when I click on the clip it plays an earlier clip. Get that on a few of my cams.

Do you think disabling this setting might help? Might have to give it a try at some stage.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just checked, I hadn't. Now that you mention I do remember reading of people with funny date/time stamps on clips but that's not what I an seeing. I get everything in the proper order listed but when I click on the clip it plays an earlier clip. Get that on a few of my cams.

Do you think disabling this setting might help? Might have to give it a try at some stage.
It may help. If you're using UI3 then I think it might just be a quirk; does the correct clip play if you click it again

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It may help. If you're using UI3 then I think it might just be a quirk; does the correct clip play if you click it again
Not using UI3, the same thing happens when RDP’ed onto the console or from the IOS app, both play the wrong clip.

So I did a repair and that had the effect of truncating some clips to around 5 or so seconds but the strange thing is that it wasn’t the first 5 seconds of the clip, it was part way into the clip.

No idea what is going on but the truncated clips worked fine before, the repair also didn’t resolve the wrong clip playing either.

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where did you guys find your sub-stream path?
I was able to set up sub streams on part of my cameras following the instructions. But on a couple of the cameras the boxes for main stream and sub stream are completely blank. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

justabeginner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I searched before I posted but most likely didn't use the correct terminology. I'll give it another go.

longmover

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've got substreams working with all my cameras but for some reason the preview FPS for my reolink 410s is about half that of the incoming rate, i.e. the main stream is comingin at 15fps but only previewing at 7-8. I can see the stream switch from sub to main when i maximise the feed in UI3 but the framerate is rubbish. Dropping the sub stream takes it back to 15fps. Is this normal?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say that's typical performance for a Reolink camera. They have low end processor capabilities and when the load of main and sub streams hits it they bog down. Add to that the fact that Reolink normally doesn't maintain the frame, iframe and bit rates that are set in its configuration and you'll see behavior like that from them.

longmover

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the advice, looking at the camera the CPU never gets above around 35% and the incoming stream details show a 15fps 4MP main feed and a 0.3mp 6FPS sub, it just doesn't translate to the preview image via UI3.

I tried upping the framerate of the sub feed from 6 to 12 and the main feed's rate changed as well. Something strange going on here...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, I point to the fact that Reolink does not maintain the rates they are set to. I have one Reolink and it wanders all over the place in those terms, all day every day. In fact, if I use the substream in that camera it shuts down the main stream on its own. Granted, it's an older camera, but Reolink hasn't changed their design in those terms. The Dahuas and Hikvision cameras I have, a total of ten, sit rock solid all day, every day, 24 hours a day. You are seeing a problem that is specific to Reolink.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sub stream's frame rate should be equal to the main stream's frame rate. This is one of the tips given here: Sub Stream Guide
"should" and "must" are two different things. there doesn't seem to be any side effect from not doing this, aside from UI3 not displaying the main stream in the correct FPS.