5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@Tinman Have a look in the EmpireTech thread and update the firmware. Yours seems kind of "long in the tooth" from what you posted versus what mine are running. I'd suggest the 3-25-2019 revision since that's working for me.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally figured out what the culprit setting was. I finally found what was different on the cams not pulling sub stream was. They were set to re-encode instead of direct to disk. I guess I never knew that was a requirement, but I do now :)

Attachments

lj502

n3wb
Reaction score
I had to uncheck the flac audio option in the recording option on my cams before it would access the sub streams, after that all was good.
John

pt_weez

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't really use the actual BI interface. It's a headless server in the corner of my basement where it belongs, so I'm UI3 all the way.

Not sure what .7 changed. I didn't really see any differences.

I'm loving the addition of substreams, as I'd already used them in other NVR programs, but I'll wait until it only uses them for internal stuff and still uses the main streams for the web UI. Right now, I can do that by turning on audio through UI3, but it's not a good solution.

Reaction score
whats the best configeration setup for getting blue iris to record the low res stream continuously, and record the high res stream only for motion events or live viewing?
do i set the low res as my main stream and the high res as my sub stream?

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had to uncheck the flac audio option in the recording option on my cams before it would access the sub streams, after that all was good.
John
Long time lurker and Blue Iris user (started with V3), I just registered to add what I found with configuring subtreams.

It took me a couple of days, but I also discovered that if you have AOI enabled, it conflicts with substream. I couldn't remove AOI by unchecking it either, I ended up deleting and re-adding the camera and it's working fine with substream. Not sure if I'm going to leave it that way, the AOI configuration solved a problem with Sentry picking up people outside of the motion trigger zone, resulting in false alerts.

Other than this one glitch, it's working well, CPU went from around 40% down to 10%.

It took some sleuthing to determine the substream URL for a couple of cameras. I used Onvifer on my Android phone to find the substreams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
whats the best configeration setup for getting blue iris to record the low res stream continuously, and record the high res stream only for motion events or live viewing?
This function is not available. If you want it email support and ask for it. In the interim you can do it the old way by cloning the camera and recording the substream continuously.

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like the feature as well. I have emailed support to ask for it. Perhaps you can as well?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
So 5.2.7.9 appears to be streaming main stream now in UI3 :)

update: whoops clicked wrong link to wrong BI system, it still isn't streaming main. :banghead:

Last edited: