5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wish it could also record triggers to a different location from the sub stream. :thumb:

My CPU usage has gone from 20% to 4-5%

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish it could also record triggers to a different location from the sub stream. :thumb:

My CPU usage has gone from 20% to 4-5%
You need to do is ask the developer. If you dont ask wishing will do no good.

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That request doesn't even make sense to me. Did it make sense to you?
Basically to have a camera profile record the main and sub stream. Not only continuously but also record a sub-stream without having hidden cameras, if that makes sense.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Stable with 5.2.7.1

Not stable with 5.2.7.2 (crashes when selecting individual cameras and have to kill the service to restart)
I just updated to 5.2.7.2 this morning and I'm experiencing the same thing. In the GUI, if I select an individual camera, it crashes.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be sure to email support as per the help file.
I was going to but a weird thing happened. I went to roll back to 5.2.7.1 and it wouldn't take it. Not sure if there was something wrong with my backup file or what. I ended up re-installing Blue Iris and imported my 5.2.7.2 backup. All seems to work as advertised now.

flarn

n3wb
Reaction score
5.2.7.3 released.

Is anyone else having motion detection issues using substreams? I just can't get anything to trigger. I have wide angle cameras and I'm guessing this may have to do with "minimum object size" of 100 being too high for the low resolution substreams?

edit: after upgrading to 5.2.7.3 the UI3 live view seems to be updating every 5 seconds. CPU usage still <10%. I tried turning off the "video during remote desktop = 5 seconds" in case this was somehow impacting UI3, but no effect.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3 live view still works fine for me in 5.2.7.3 even with one cam's sub stream enabled as a test. Did you turn on Limit decoding or something?

I can't confirm anything about motion detection in the sub stream yet. I test new releases on my main BI system so I don't intend to keep a sub stream active permanently until the feature is more polished. (I still have a second continuous recording box as a backup)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone following the progress, 5.2.7.3 has fixed (for me) the crash upon maximizing a sub-streamed cam, and it has more or less resolved all issues surrounding the Anamorphic setting. There are still other issues being worked on so I wouldn't recommend upgrading for sub-streams yet.

Although if you don't use sub streams then there's no reason not to update as far as I can tell.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone following the progress, 5.2.7.3 has fixed (for me) the crash upon maximizing a sub-streamed cam, and it has more or less resolved all issues surrounding the Anamorphic setting. There are still other issues being worked on so I wouldn't recommend upgrading for sub-streams yet.

Although if you don't use sub streams then there's no reason not to update as far as I can tell.
Yes... working well here with 28 cameras sub-streaming. Can now double click on single cameras and see the normal (high) resolution stream. Very happy.

[edit: have now reverted to 5.2.7.1 again as 5.2.7.3 still has some bugs with substreams, as Brian warned. It was OK for 40 minutes but then became unstable]

Last edited:

flarn

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you turn on Limit decoding or something?
This fixed the live view and the motion recording issues I was having. Thank you! Something changed between 5.2.7.2 and 5.2.7.3 and the treatment of this setting.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
This is one hell of an update, changes the entire game play.

What sub stream resolution are people using or recommend?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
This is one hell of an update, changes the entire game play.

I prefer the same resolution of 1080P but just drop my FPS and bitrate real low. BUT not all my cams have that option except the Dahua's that support 2 sub streams. Those work great for me, but my 2231's only support 1 sub stream @ 640x480 or D1 BUT these do not keep the aspect the same in BI. It seems to force the main stream to 4:3 as well.

Also I noticed it will display whatever your sub stream is set to here:

Annotation 2020-05-05 085350.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
my 2231's only support 1 sub stream @ 640x480 or D1 BUT these do not keep the aspect the same in BI. It seems to force the main stream to 4:3 as well.
All aspect ratio issues should be resolved in 5.2.7.3. Are you still having some?

flarn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two models of Hikvision cameras and these are both limited to 640x360 (if you want to keep the correct aspect ratio)

That's fine with me, though you can enable a third substream that does 1280x720 by going to:

System | Maintenance | Enable Third Substream

(you lose features like H264+/H265+, face detection, etc. which you probably aren't using anyway)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is very common for none of the sub stream resolutions to be the same aspect ratio as the main stream, so I've been pestering Blue Iris support to make sure the sub streams get rescaled appropriately without negative side-effects. Ken chose to implement this by automatically assigning the "Anamorphic (force size)" setting. As of BI 5.2.7.3 it should be completely automatic so you don't need to worry about the sub stream aspect ratio. There may still be bugs, but it worked fine for me on the one cam I've been using for testing this feature.

For example my test cam is a Dahua "1831" 4K bullet. Main stream resolution 3840 x 2160 (aspect 16:9). The only sub stream resolutions are:

• 704 x 480 (aspect 107:60)
  • 640 x 480 (aspect 4:3)
  • 352 x 240 (aspect 107:60)

None of those is even close to 16:9. The actual best rescaling of 704 x 480 to 16:9 is 853 x 480, but Blue Iris rescales to 856 x 480 in order to satisfy certain technical requirements. This is close enough that I'm not going to argue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As for which sub stream settings are best, that is something you need to determine for your own situation. You might do like @Tinman and use a high resolution sub stream with a lower frame rate, or you might do like I plan to and use a relatively low resolution with a higher frame rate.

In the example of my 4K camera, the biggest sub stream resolution is only 4% of the main stream resolution, but this is still plenty big enough to serve for motion detection and to be rendered in group streams.