49225 XNA Good but annoying when it matters.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When it really matters, it seems this cam loves to pick the wrong time to SUCK at focusing. Been a problem from day 1. Does well a majority of the time but this boils my blood.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Turning off PFA did not resolve the issue unfortunately. It actually did improve focus in general but the random way out of focus issue remains. Thinking it is just the camera's general operation. It isn't terrible but it definitely WILL broaden my search to other brands. Not to whine on a soapbox but this camera replaced a Dahua 59225 that was horrendously bad with tracking. This cam tracks very well but can't nail focus reliably. Even so, it is still worth the $$.

Attachments

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
My 49225 does not show any of your OOF symptons maybe its defective and needs to be returned to the seller for an exchange or refund.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
User error ....not set right, the camera needs a clear FOV and in your scenario this is not the case with cars parked both sides of the road obstructing the cameras tracking

I could set that camera to track the white car but you would loose the front house view.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep - several factors coming in play, some and you can address and others just have to live with:

• Potential issue with the angle of the sun and the color of the car and not enough contrast difference causing the camera to look up to hunt for target.
  • Zoomed out too wide.
  • Too many items that the camera could lock onto.
However, in your case, you would probably benefit by the setting the PTZ Limit and not allowing it to go any higher than it is right now in that setup. It may prevent that looking up movement you are getting regardless of the above issues.

1607729012812.png

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I just wanted to try and set up Autotracking at night time to see if I could capture the cars details including number plate as the junction is pretty busy on a night. Autotracking at night is very different from the daytime as it needs light and contrast along with the cars headlights which glare so had to make a few adjustments on the HLC.

View attachment PTZ.20201213_170000_1.mp4

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep - several factors coming in play, some and you can address and others just have to live with:

• Potential issue with the angle of the sun and the color of the car and not enough contrast difference causing the camera to look up to hunt for target.
  • Zoomed out too wide.
  • Too many items that the camera could lock onto.
However, in your case, you would probably benefit by the setting the PTZ Limit and not allowing it to go any higher than it is right now in that setup. It may prevent that looking up movement you are getting regardless of the above issues.

View attachment 76688
Problem is if I limit the ptz, the circle to the right is higher ground and it wouldn't track correctly.

As far as locking on, if it sees the white car coming, why does it zip to the sky?

I will try narrowing the field and zooming in a little and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to cross-thread with your comment in the other review thread. This above is me BTW LOL - I was dumb and naive once and created my login here through Facebook and now locked out of my original account due to some issue between the Facebook login and this site - hopefully it starts working again.

What I have noticed in mine (and replicated in yours above) is that for a split second once it identifies a target that the camera seems to make the initial movement from stationary to tracking, I am guessing that as it is panning to start following, the algorithm must miss the object in certain situations so it keeps panning until it stops and by that point it is gone. Notice how that car is moving left to right, yet the camera moves right to left and I think that is where it gets hung up. I got mine to stop that by having a narrower field and zooming in a little bit so that as it starts the pan it doesn't have as many objects to interfere.

Now regards to the focus issue you have mentioned here and in the other thread - mine does that too. I think there must be some vantage points or surroundings that it struggles in. In my case, a lot of the time when it is zoomed in a lot of the background is very aged asphalt road and I think all the little nuances in the road wreak havoc on the autofocus - again just a guess on my part. But at closer range or farther range, it seems to be better.

Your video in the other thread is interesting. When that car parks you would think that would be the focus and it all seems a little off. Yours by comparison has a lot of dark in it compared to mine. And at the end, there is still a lot to view in that final image - it almost looks like it is focusing on a small tree branch much closer.

I am wondering if a larger target tracking number would help in your case - or by initially having a tighter starting point that may do it. I would suggest trying the tighter preset first and then adjust the target tracking area.

I also knocked the sharpness down quite a bit and that helps. The image is a little soft, but focused. I also played with dropping the resolution but then upping the sharpness and that seemed to work too.

One thing I noticed as well as for a particular zoom level, you can hit the plus or minus quite a few times before the zoom number changes. I turned the Z number on as an overlay and count how many clicks it takes to move to the next level and then go back to the middle of that Z level and that seemed to help too. Maybe just coincidence, but when I had it like right on the click between two zoom numbers, it seemed to have more troubles.

But I have noticed that the PTZ tends to be a lot of tweaking and testing and tweaking more to get it right - only to have the changing season sun mess with it once you think you have it figured out.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to cross-thread with your comment in the other review thread. This above is me BTW LOL - I was dumb and naive once and created my login here through Facebook and now locked out of my original account due to some issue between the Facebook login and this site - hopefully it starts working again.

What I have noticed in mine (and replicated in yours above) is that for a split second once it identifies a target that the camera seems to make the initial movement from stationary to tracking, I am guessing that as it is panning to start following, the algorithm must miss the object in certain situations so it keeps panning until it stops and by that point it is gone. Notice how that car is moving left to right, yet the camera moves right to left and I think that is where it gets hung up. I got mine to stop that by having a narrower field and zooming in a little bit so that as it starts the pan it doesn't have as many objects to interfere.
It is being triggered on the left and the object is moving quickly to the right as you said. I am not sure how to keep it from doing that. Even if I set the tripwire to only trigger when the object moves from left to right it will still move to the left to try and track it. Having 2 separate tripwires close together with different rules really confuses the camera so that is not an option.

Now regards to the focus issue you have mentioned here and in the other thread - mine does that too. I think there must be some vantage points or surroundings that it struggles in. In my case, a lot of the time when it is zoomed in a lot of the background is very aged asphalt road and I think all the little nuances in the road wreak havoc on the autofocus - again just a guess on my part. But at closer range or farther range, it seems to be better.
There is a ton of detail in my landscape so maybe if I lessen the sharpening it will help, I will try.

Your video in the other thread is interesting. When that car parks you would think that would be the focus and it all seems a little off. Yours by comparison has a lot of dark in it compared to mine. And at the end, there is still a lot to view in that final image - it almost looks like it is focusing on a small tree branch much closer.
In that video, NOTHING is in focus at that point so if it chose to focus on a specific object, that object would be clear. Everything in the entire frame is a blur.

I am wondering if a larger target tracking number would help in your case - or by initially having a tighter starting point that may do it. I would suggest trying the tighter preset first and then adjust the target tracking area.
I already tried that. Had the target tracking size up to 45 and then when a person walked past, I would get a torso, no head or feet. My happy medium is around 38-40 for my landscape.

I also knocked the sharpness down quite a bit and that helps. The image is a little soft, but focused. I also played with dropping the resolution but then upping the sharpness and that seemed to work too.
Going to try that now.

One thing I noticed as well as for a particular zoom level, you can hit the plus or minus quite a few times before the zoom number changes. I turned the Z number on as an overlay and count how many clicks it takes to move to the next level and then go back to the middle of that Z level and that seemed to help too. Maybe just coincidence, but when I had it like right on the click between two zoom numbers, it seemed to have more troubles.
I also noticed that. I am now trying the focus mode "semi-auto". Dahua wiki states that in semi-auto, the camera won't attempt focus until it changes the zoom level. Not sure what the result will be yet. In auto, it attempts focus after every time it pans, tilts or zooms. Many times, the initial zoom nails the focus, then when the camera pans just a little it goes oof.

But I have noticed that the PTZ tends to be a lot of tweaking and testing and tweaking more to get it right - only to have the changing season sun mess with it once you think you have it figured out.
LOL! so true! I curse 2 things in my set up, the I want to run over the light pole and chop down the friggin tree. These 2 things ruin so many tracks.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also went with an intrusion box and that helped mine a lot. I still get an occasional wonder off to the left, but almost every other track with a tripwire would pan the sky.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So here is this morning and after making the suggested changes. Clearly, something isn't right with this camera. Setting up this preset zoomed in any further would be useless.
The tripwire is to the left of the light pole. At first, it nails the focus..... then goes out and NOTHING, not even the light pole is in focus. Nothing in the entire frame in focus. Once it zooms in further, its good.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
SIMPLE- return for a FULL refund as it is obvious it has Focus issues which I mentioned before.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is another quick track where mine looses the tracking as the 2 people pass the black car but catches them again once they have passed it.
PS: take no notice of the colours and saturation brightness as I reset my camera last night and forgot to put my backup config file back on.
View attachment PTZ.20210109_150000_1.mp4

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is frustrating! It will be interesting to see what midday looks like without the long shadows.

While it is a great camera, I think it has trouble with the shots that are more perpendicular like yours and mine. @ljw2k has more of a face on/straight on shot and I think it has an easier time with those views. When my targets are farther out and I have a more straight on shot than a perpendicular shot where they are just moving to/away from the PTZ, it does much better. I was attributing that to the distance, but it might very well be that tracking an object that is moving more to/away from the camera than also moving left/right while moving to/from is part of the issue.