3D Printing Dual Camera Mount for Pairing Z12's

Reaction score
You clean the plate and print it again! That's the beauty of 3d printing! It's similar to digital photography in that there's relatively little cost to make another or even to make mistakes. Prints that take a day or more seem like a big deal, but they aren't because most of those hours, you're asleep or at work anyway.
So you have to throw away the problem, not recycle it, correct? So how much in material cost would this mount cost?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have to throw away the problem, not recycle it, correct? So how much in material cost would this mount cost?
Some printing software produces a record of the amount of filament used in the print by length or weight and that info could be used to see the exact cost.... Just spitballing, I 'd guess that's maybe two of bucks of filament.
@guykuo might have that info.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Works out to

209 gram base
126 gram cover

total 335 grams at $18 / 1000 gm spool Overture PETG

335/1000 * $18 = $6.03 for the cover and base prints.

Of course, now that I have printed and installed it, I've come up with some refinements for the design that will make the cover portion stronger and easier to align during installation.
Once you have the parts printed and use them, it's pretty frequent that you decided to make it even better.

On the plus side, CFO said to go ahead and order another Z12-2. Maybe something to do with us driving an extra hour in peak traffic back to restaurant after she left her purse - or maybe purely coincidence. :)

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Works out to

209 gram base
126 gram cover

total 335 grams at $18 / 1000 gm spool Overture PETG

Of course, now that I have printed and installed it, I've come up with some refinements for the design that will make the cover portion stronger and easier to align during installation.
Once you have the parts printed and use them, it's pretty frequent that you decided to make it even better.

On the plus side, CFO said to go ahead and order another Z12-2. Maybe something to do with us driving an extra hour in peak traffic back to restaurant after she left her purse - or maybe purely coincidence. :)
Thanks for the breakdown. Curious if you calculated the cost of the failed print?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ooof! My mistake; I had confused this thread with some other discussion elsewhere and had convinced myself that you had experienced a spaghetti fail or similar while printing this piece. I see now that I was wrong,
Carry on!

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So torn between the new Z4's higher resolution with bigger sensor vs more zoom with the Z12.

New design for mount adds alignment ridge to make lining them up during installation easier. Some internal (hidden) features in the cover further stiffen it. Riser is 1 cm taller to give more space for fitting the POE extender. It was a bit tight with the original design.

Here is cross section of model showing the alignment ridge.

My f3d file is also attached anyone wishes to print their own. The Fusion 360 model is parameterized.
Most likely things one might wish to adjust are the top offset (which sets how far off center the top is positioned), and pedestal height (height of riser)cross section.jpg

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah if you have been watching the @Parley experiments with the new Z4E in color for plates, it certainly does raise the question about the Z4E and Z12E more so than in the past.

Obviously the more zoom is better, but if one is on the fringes distance wise and can get color, that would be the way to go.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, that thread has not made things easier. I'm leaning to get a Z4-S3 to try. At worst it could be the overview camera. If only there was Z12 with 1/1.8 version. A Z8 would also be OK. Z4 is just a tad short of reach I desire. It's higher resolution might make up for enough of the zoom loss vs a 2MP Z12-S2. Can't know without head to head comparison here.

Sweating this too much. FInally getting a properly pair of cameras in that location is already a nice improvement. This is just going after more gravy

Reaction score
Thought it would be more expensive.

I have thought of getting into 3D printing. There are some things that I could do for different issues on my motorhome, and a few things around the house. But I think it may be just too much of a learning curve/time sink to get proficient, especially in designing each piece and the development of the printing instructions.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how many things you DON'T have to design because someone has already done it for you. I always take a quick check on Thingiverse first. Also, I've shared a number of my designs there...
THIS^^ look around Thingiverse.com Thangs.com and cults3d.com Use their search engines. You'll be amazed by the number of things that you've thought of...that others have designed already and freely distributed the files for.
Save the file or just the number/name of the file. PM me and I'll print it for ya.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ordered a Z4-S3

New design cover with alignment groove and hidden reinforcing ribs already printed. Here is its bottom showing alignment groove.
The surface is much smoother than one would surmise from the intensely reflected light.
Part is printed upside down. The top surface is actually nicely finished by my textured PEI print plate
new cover with groove.jpg

24 hour print of new base started with freshly dried, new spool of PETG. Top of the new base will have a ridge that fits into cover's groove.
About 21 hours remaining for print

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 5.20.46 AM.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Over halfway there. Only 11 more hours to go.

halflway.jpg

Meanwhile, I have been busy tuning focus for varifocal turrets and bullets. Each one is now refocused for separate day (visible light) and night (infrared+visible) lens focus via day/night python scripts.
To gather the focus setting for each camera, I used the CGI interface to have each camera perform an autofocus. Then, I interrogate the camera to get the resultant lens data. Had to be done for each camera in daylight and at night.
Finally, all the lens figures were put into CGI calls for each camera. As a result, each camera has its focus refined for night and day instead of using just one setting. Even without a change in zoom, the optimal focus differs between day and night lighting situations.

Still have a couple more to perfect, but I'm 95% of the way through. Already, the cameras are looking sharper than ever.

Here is a taste of how I use CGI to get the camera data. The focus and zoom figures returned from camera then go into the CGI call.
Note: You also need to set profile and set camera to manual focus mode for this to work.

perform autofocus
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=autoFocus&channel=1

get focus data
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getFocusStatus

Day data
status.Focus=0.780556
status.FocusMotorSteps=1800
status.LenAdjustStatus=1
status.ResetResult=Success
status.Status=Normal
status.Zoom=0.450083
status.ZoomMotorSteps=1202

set day with
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.780556&zoom=0.450083

Night data
status.Focus=0.822222
status.FocusMotorSteps=1800
status.LenAdjustStatus=1
status.ResetResult=Success
status.Status=Normal
status.Zoom=0.514975
status.ZoomMotorSteps=1202

set night with
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.822222&zoom=0.514975

The Python code then looks like this for the day script. You should put everything inside try/except blocks. Otherwise, a single camera going offline will bomb out all subsequent code execution.

import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPDigestAuth
import time

#camera nnn ====================
try:
#day profile
url = 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0'
requests.get(url, auth=HTTPDigestAuth('username', 'passcode'))
time.sleep(10)

#manual mode = 4, auto = 2, semi auto = 3
url = 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInFocus[0][0].Mode=4'
time.sleep(1)

#set zoom and focus for day position
url = 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.780556&zoom=0.450083'
time.sleep(1)
except:
a = 1

Lest you be concerned about my wearing out the turret mechanisms, only the bullets change their zoom every day/night transitions. The turrets stay at same zoom, and get only their focus set.

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Print completed successfully. Done in PETG at 0.15 mm layer thickness. 4 perimeters, 5 top / bottom layers and nozzle at 260C for better layer adhesion.
At the temperatures I usually print PETG, it is vital to dry the filament before use.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.58.47 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.58.16 AM.jpg

Another design improvement is that four outer corner bolt holes now go completely through the base. No longer have to worry about top, corner bolts bottoming out if they are too long.
New Z4 should arrive today. Weather permitting, will install tomorrow.

View attachment dual camera mount.mp4

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Print completed successfully. Done in PETG at 0.15 mm layer thickness. 4 perimeters, 5 top / bottom layers and nozzle at 260C for better layer adhesion.
At the temperatures I usually print PETG, it is vital to dry the filament before use.

View attachment 183356

View attachment 183357

Another design improvement is that four outer corner bolt holes now go completely through the base. No longer have to worry about top, corner bolts bottoming out if they are too long.
New Z4 should arrive today. Weather permitting, will install tomorrow.

View attachment 183353
Looks amazing!

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Z4-S3 and Z4-S2 both mounted on new version of 3D printed mount. Revised mount was easier to use with its alignment groove and slightly more space to house the Loryta POE extender.

I pointed the cameras during installation so I didn't have to fight the moment arm of two cameras in horizontal position. Also makes getting at the bolts easier.
See that mini ratchet? If you don't have one, grab one. Mine has saved me a lot of swearing when in tight quarters. It's also 72 toothed so the swing angle is small.

reach for the sky pilgrim.jpg

Swung down after cover is bolted in place. They are ready for aiming. The Z4 is painted speckled tan. Z12 is painted green. Will refine the paint job when spring comes round.
new z4 and z12 together 2.jpg

The lone street east Z12-S2 camera is seen behind the paired units. That one looks down cul-de-sac and gets a pretty shot of the mountains.
new z4 and z12 together 3.jpg

For now, the Z4 and Z12 are set to similar framing for head to head comparison. Will take a few days to get enough day and night traffic down street to determine which will be better for LPR from that location.

Already in daylight, I can see the Z4 seems a step up even from the Z12-s2 (which was itself a huge improvement over old Z12-s1). Here are two image caps at nearly same framing.

This is Z12-S2 at 0.45 zoom
01-20-2024 12-23-47 M Street West.m4v-00_00_04-00001.png

Z4-S3 at 0.51 zoom
01-20-2024 12-23-47 M LPR West.m4v-00_00_04-00001.png

EDIT - I got mine from ARES, but they dont' have the actual model I use. Was confused by the different product now on Amazon.
Sealy makes one that matches mine. Add one of these to your tool box. You'll be glad it is there when you need it. Accepts 1/4 inch hex bits and great in super close quarters with just 5 degree swing angle.
Sealey AK6962 Bit Driver Ratchet Micro 1/4" Hex Stainless Steel, 72 tooth

61LFawOPhQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61W8B5u5-qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ares current equivalent seems to be
ARES 42061 – 1/4-Inch Drive 72-Tooth Anodized Aluminum Micro Ratcheting Bit Driver – 72-Tooth Fine Tooth Gear – Compact Size for Tight Spaces

There do seem to be several models available now. Just make sure it is very compact and has at least 72 teeth.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Daytime LPC winner is already pretty obvious. We'll see about night captures later....

Z12-S2 on left / Z4-S3 on right

LPC.png

Come to think of it, there is no reason I can't have the two cameras swap roles. Whichever does better LPR gets the job at night, independent of Z4-S3 getting the job in the day.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, this was with both cameras at nearly same framing and both forced to autofocus via CGI.
I first get framing correct. Then send an autofocus command. Once that is done, I interrogate the camera for the result. The focus value then gets put into my night focus and zoom script for the camera.

Finally got dark enough to get initial Z4-S3 dark focus and zoom. Now for some "customers" to drive by.
I expect will further fine tune for IR late tonight.