3D Printing Dual Camera Mount for Pairing Z12's

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I primarily print in PETG for my projects. PLA would not be great outdoors. ASA is even better than PETG for UV resistance, but I'm not fond of generating fumes during printing.
I chose black color to help the PETG resist UV, but know it won't be a forever lasting thing. If I can get five years, I will be happy. I have had good experience with my pole mounted 3D printer PETG mount. That has been up for a couple years and is holding up well in sun, snow, and LOTS of rain.

Printed as one piece which slips over top of lamp post.

View attachment 182866

One of the turret mounting rings attached.

View attachment 182867

Mount slipped upon lamp post
View attachment 182868

The final installation with two turrets to assist the PTZ's. You can also see my "brims" protecting the turrets from rain.

View attachment 182869

Based on this experience, I expect the new dual Z12 mount to do well in PETG. I might not fully trust the new mount in vertical position, given the 7 lbs of camera that will be torquing it. Thankfully, it is going on a horizontal junction box.
What modeling software do you run?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fusion 360. Learning to 3D model was probably as time consuming as tuning print parameters. I remember starting out and all I could do was print other people's 3D models. The major milestone was when I learned enough to redesign my extruder.

The post mount picts are when the print was new. I can tell you, it doesn't look that much different today, but it has only been two years in the elements)

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My dilemma today is whether to deploy a used Z12 vs a new in box Z12 (a spare camera, but prior generation). Given the huge performance leap of the two Z12-S2 cameras over my prior Z12's, I don't see much reason to keep the new-old stock as a spare. However, the used Z12 is already painted. The new one would be a PITB to paint properly at current cold temperatures. Then comes the decision of which camera to dedicate to overview vs LPC (Z12-S1 vs Z12-S2)

I would deploy another IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2, but not brave nor stupid enough to request authorization from the house CFO for yet another camera purchase.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Fusion 360. Learning to 3D model was probably as time consuming as tuning print parameters. I remember starting out and all I could do was print other people's 3D models. The major milestone was when I learned enough to redesign my extruder.

The post mount picts are when the print was new. I can tell you, it doesn't look that much different today, but it has only been two years in the elements)
Check out Too Tall Toby on Youtube. He has a lot of good videos and prints to practice with. He also hosts speed modeling tournaments which are pretty cool to watch. I work for Mastercam and use his prints in my tests all of the time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any special tricks to painting your cameras?
Many here repaint them to match the house or blend in to the surroundings.

Some go all out and rough it up with some fine sandpaper and some cleaner and apply a coat and wait a day and paint another.

Some go with the kind of paint that peels off if you need to take it off in the future (forget what it is called right now).

Some just start painting them with no prep.

I have done all 3 and personally I haven't seen a difference after years in operation, so now I just paint it with no prep - I have done spray and brush and both hold up the same.

Now I simply slap a coat of paint on. Wait 20 min and apply another coat and wait 20 minutes and hang it up and then touch up any that came off during the install.

Like I said, years later I can't tell the difference between the ones I proper prepped and those that I just slapped it on.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just wipe down the cameras with 100% isopropyl, mask the optics, and spray paint. The adhesion is adequate without Bulldog prep spray. We're not mechanically abrading out cameras, just adding color. It's a bit of risk re warranty coverage. I basically expect the warranty to be voided.

I paint mostly to satisfy the local Architectural standard committee for our HOA. Makes for a pretty stealthy camera set until one is practically upon them.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My dilemma today is whether to deploy a used Z12 vs a new in box Z12 (a spare camera, but prior generation). Given the huge performance leap of the two Z12-S2 cameras over my prior Z12's, I don't see much reason to keep the new-old stock as a spare. However, the used Z12 is already painted. The new one would be a PITB to paint properly at current cold temperatures. Then comes the decision of which camera to dedicate to overview vs LPC (Z12-S1 vs Z12-S2)

I would deploy another IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2, but not brave nor stupid enough to request authorization from the house CFO for yet another camera purchase.
My recent purchases of 3 cams was done with the proper requisition filed with the CFO. But here's the defence I will be using in the pending military tribunal:

1) Two cams were purchased used;
2) One cam was purchased refurbed from Andy which basically means an open-box at 34% discount;
3) These cams are not "more cams";
4) These cams will be replacing lower-end (1/3" sensors) cams;
5) The new cams are more "intelligent";

The big trick will be to install the cams while she's at work and then have her notice when we turn the TV on.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Wish me luck!

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was wondering if that PETG was going to be strong enough to support those camera with that infill, but once I saw them mounted so gravity is doing some of the work it made a lot more sense.

I 3D printed some camera mounts that go up against the lap siding and fit between the housing. It was on the shady side so I did PLA. Held up for years.

Looks good. Makes me want to upgrade our Wahoa printer..

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For now, I'm letting the new Z12-S2 be the overview camera (also doubles for daytime LPC).
The old Z12 is set up as the day/night LPC.

Does anyone know what zoom setting on the Z12 gives equivalent to max zoom on a Z4? I'm speculating whether I can use a Z4-S4 as the overview.
I can get current zoom number from the API. That givess a decimal number.

I'm guessing 0.3 zoom on Z12 is about same FOV as 1.0 zoom on Z4?
Definitive answer would need someone with both to set to set a Z4-S4 to max zoom, and then adjust a Z12 to get same FOV. Then interrogate the Z12 for its current zoom number.

Given that my Z12 overview day and night framing zooms switches between 0.450083 and 0.337770, I'm doubting a Z4 would have adequate zoom range, but maybe I'm wrong.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fairly pleased thus far. Nice having two cameras in that location. I was getting away with one east and one west camera because the road goes into a cul-de-sac. One cameras was for scene and other for LPR since cars must pass both cameras in both directions.
Having a proper pairing looking west is a nice step up. It's not our main traffic flow. That is covered by a proper four cameras looking north and south.

I think a new Z12-S2 is in the future, but for now the old Z12 is doing find as LPC and the new Z12-2 as scene capture.

From this pair's position, the biggest benefit is getting side views for when I need to rapidly scan for matching make / model. With a grid view in SecuritySpy, I can clear a couple days of traffic in a few minutes.
This is what part of the vehicle grids look like from the two Z12's. They have slightly different framing from each other.

grid two cams.jpg