2nd Amendment thread

Reaction score
Anyone else have this as their first firearm?
Not my first gun, but I have three. All-Weather stainless/synthetic, traditional wood stock black barrel, and a custom take-down.

Interesting story on the first two. My wife and I were at the gun show back in 2012 and I was trying to decide between the two. She said "just buy both". But I really did not want to buy two. So she said "if you don't buy them both, I will buy the one you don't buy". So she basically forced me to buy both. She can be so mean sometimes.

DSC_4372.JPG DSC_4379.JPG DSC_0304.JPG

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been following Washington Gun lawyer for a while and a few others such as Armed Scholar and Four Chairs and the most interesting thing about what Benitez did this time was that after his rulings on prior cases were essentially disrespected by the Ninth and another court (delayed, purposely kicked to the end of the docket) by taking advantage of his placing a customary 'stay' on his own ruling as a courtesy to allow the other venues' review... THIS time he apparently took note of their tactics and did NOT self-impose the customary stay... he essentially flipped them the Law Finger and said "this stands, NOW", I don't need your nod, you can't be trusted, this is Law Of the Land. (His ruling strikes down an injunction of existing law, now the older law resumes its proper role.)
This is a very important detail and kudos to the Honorable Judge Benitez!

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not my first, but I have some 10-22s.
Including a Stainless and a 'tactical' and a Green laminated take-down Charger.
10--22s are great machines but my fave back in my squirrel-hunting days was the Marlin Model 60.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Reaction score
Do any of you guys do any long range shooting-- Like 1,000 yards out to a mile?

I kind of have the itch to give that a shot, so to speak, but I need something that can be a dual-purpose range and deer gun in .308...

And under $1,500, preferably not more than $1k

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I kind of have the itch to give that a shot, so to speak, but I need something that can be a dual-purpose range and deer gun in .308...

1 mile?! wth you plan on hunting? Upright two legged bi-peds?

Reaction score
I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5mm Creedmoor that I got for long range shooting. But have only gone out to 430yds or so.
DSC_2070.JPG

I did shoot out to 1000yds at a Long Range School that was run by the NRA back in 2016 and has since been spun-off to Outdoor Solutions.

Long Range Shooting | Hunting Schools | Texas | UT | MI (outdoorsolutionscorp.com)

At the time they were using a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5mm Creedmoor. You can get one in .308 from Cabela's for $540. They have since moved on to Remington 700 5-R and Benelli Lupo. The optics will make a huge difference at those ranges. They were using Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20X50 8 MOA scope at the time. It is $1700 from Optics Planet. They are now using Zeiss.
6.JPG

I really liked that school. The rifle was just fine out to those distances. But beyond 1000yds to a mile, you would need something better. Of course, the Rem 700 is a top notch for long range and most of the competitors at the club I belong to are using some form of Rem 700 in their builds. But those guys spend $5000 or more on their rigs.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I have a 308 FN SBR A2 I believe. Nothing fancy.

The farthest I got with it was a mile. My scope was maxed, I was holding over to the max my reticle had.
There was nothing precise at a mile. I was shooting at silhouette size target and was just happy if my rounds were hitting the target.

But, 1000 and lower the thing is a tach driver, (Multiple hits on bowling pins consistently.). If the 308 had the steam left at 1000 for a reliable kill I would trust that rifle all day long.

It may be over the 1500 mark now. I think I paid 1200 for it 15 years ago or so if I remember right.