2nd Amendment thread

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Our daughter will be 16 in a few months and wants a shotgun so that she can join the trap club at school.

What is the go-to / tried and true shotgun now?

My first shotgun was my great grandpa's Stevens 410. Then I got a Mossberg 500 20ga as a teenager. That's about my limit on shotgun knowledge. I have always preferred rifles and handgun's so I am not well versed on the shotgun side.

Are the 500 or 870 still the big contenders? Or are there other models I should be having her look at?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our daughter will be 16 in a few months and wants a shotgun so that she can join the trap club at school.

My first shotgun was my great grandpa's Stevens 410. Then I got a Mossberg 500 20ga as a teenager. That's about my limit on shotgun knowledge. I have always preferred rifles and handgun's so I am not well versed on the shotgun side.

Are the 500 or 870 still the big contenders? Or are there other models I should be having her look at?
I would think with imports you could find a decent double barrel for her .. wonder what Paul would recommend

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

I never did get into Trap either, but there's a large club at our range.

The 870 is still popular*, as are Berettas, Brownings, and WInchester. Higher end stuff that starts at $5000-$10,000 I don't know much about.
*Remington has a checkered history over the past 10 or so years, not sure of the current production.

My Uncle had a Beretta one grade up from the current 686 Silver Pigeon that I WISH I knew what happened to it...:(

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/Best-skeet-trap-clay-shotguns/
10 Best Shotguns for Trap Shooting [2024 Reviews] Trap Shooting Guns for Sale

Last edited:

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

more important than anything is it has to fit her — how big is your daughter?

I started my son at 12 or 13 shooting clays with a stoger youth model over under in 20 gauge. He was small, 80 pounds maybe.

Reaction score
Sounds like complying with 922r could easily be 40%+ of the cost of a decent AK. Asinine effing gubermint rules.

My beautiful Russian mistress is a Saiga 7.62 converted to AK-47. Did all the 922r conversion shit myself, and it works WONDERFULLY! Certainly my favorite! Or was until that boating accident.....

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
My beautiful Russian mistress is a Saiga 7.62 converted to AK-47. Did all the 922r conversion shit myself, and it works WONDERFULLY! Certainly my favorite! Or was until that boating accident.....
Collapsible or folding stock?