hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
i thought i had this sussed but no

changed the laptop to the camera default gateway

access the camera web UI

password has been forgotten by me

using latest sadp, detects camera, bottom right ( forgoten password link)

open password link and use bottom input fields

input engineer code and new passwords below

now i created my engineer code using the password create tool which uses the serial number, month and date

i added the created engineer code and a new password but a failed box appeared ??

what am i missing guys

camera is 2cd2342wdi uk spec
firmware is 5.3.8

perhaps i used the serial number wrong but from what i can see it is 2cd-2342wd-i2015********** blah blah blah the serial number starts at 2015 doesnt it ??

i went back to the web ui and tried various passwords i would use inc the factory versions but to no avail and eventually it locked me out for 30 mins, at that point i nearly dropped kick the thing into next week, and as far as i can see these 4meg cams have no reset button

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
changed the laptop to the camera default gateway
Not a good idea to clash like that - just use an unused value in the same range.

now i created my engineer code using the password create tool which uses the serial number, month and date
For that version of firmware, Hikvision must create the reset code to import in after they process your export.

If you tftp update the exact same version of firmware, the configuration will be cleared back to defaults.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cant alastair, if i change the cameras ip using the nvr camera configuration it does not change the cameras setting, as i have lost the password i cant access the camera from anywhere or using anything, the only option left is to reset password

and now i cant you say unless Hik process the export which i am guessing a password is also needed for or can i export without password in sadp

is it even possible to tftp into the camera without a password ??

the cameras ip is 192.168.0.64
its gateway is 192.168.254.1

so i cant web ui remote in through the nvr as the camera is on a different ip
i cant change the cameras internal ip setting as i dont have the password to access it

but i am interested in re applying the firmware to the cam, will this definately reset the cam back to its default factory needs activating state

is this method just a case of attaching a thumb drive to the nvr and updating the cam from the thumb drive, even though i dont have the password, not done a cam update that way before using the nvr

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is it even possible to tftp into the camera without a password ??
If the camera's bootloader still does the tftp updater - no passwords required.

changed the laptop to the camera default gateway Not a good idea to clash like that - just use an unused value in the same range.
What I understood by that was that you changed the laptop IP address to be the same as that of the camera default gateway - which would be either your router address, or the NVR PoE interface address - neither of which should be used by the laptop as it's a clash.
But maybe I misinterpreted what you said.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you enlighten me on the tftp update, is this the nvr update cam option or a local connected laptop ?? i am un familiar with tftp update

no thats fine, the laptop was changed so that i could actually use the web ui to locally access the cameras web ui and stab at a few passwords

to me using the web ui on the nvr, and setting the camera to manual config, then hitting the activate button and ticking use admin password should over ride everything and allow the nvr to configure the camera ?? for me that does not work, maybe i misunderstand

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
to me using the web ui on the nvr, and setting the camera to manual config, then hitting the activate button and ticking use admin password should over ride everything and allow the nvr to configure the camera ?? for me that does not work, maybe i misunderstand
Yes, that is correct.
But the camera must start in the 'Activation required' state so the NVR can set the password.

Generally the tftp update would be via a locally-connected PC.
The tftp updater tool and instructions (not the firmware ...) are in the first dropbox link in this post: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you alastair

question time though

reading the instructions does not mention whether the camera should be directly connected to the laptop in which case it will need a power source ( no problem with power source )
or connect laptop to spare poe port leaving cam also connected to poe port and using tftp

which way is required

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
or connect laptop to spare poe port leaving cam also connected to poe port and using tftp
That should work, if no other power source. But better with a 12v DC source. And not a direct connection, both wired to a switch.
Although @Brad_C, on another camera type, had a tftp updater problem on PoE that did not exist on a 12v DC supply, maybe an interface up timing issue.
The big question is - will the camera bootloader have the tftp updater?
Just be sure to allow the inbound rule in Windows firewall - should be automatic if you agree on the pop-up window. And the tftp updater is problematic on Win10.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you Alastair, the camera had its 5.3.8 firmware reapplied using the method you linked to, all went well using windows 10, using your method reset the camera to default settings for the applied firmware, using sadp a new password was applied, access is now granted again

thank you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent! Well done, and presumably you've wiped the sweat off your brow now.
Hikvision firmware updates can be quite nerve-wracking, you don't always know what you're going to get at the end.
Might be good to add another user, and put a sealed envelope somewhere safe.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
actually after some short overnight testing it appears the camera failed to send info to the nvr, no events triggered, basic or smart, all settings are correct and should have recorded, this morning i rebooted the cam and it began recording basic events but so far 5.3.8 is proving unstable, i will give it 24 hrs on test in situ but if it continues to fail it will get downgraded to a previous fw