200 photos of the porch because the sun is playing peek a boo

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision NVR with Hikvision 4mm turrent (replacing with something tighter soon). I have motion detection going at 20% sensitivity on the walkway, porch on access to a window they could crawl into.

Everytime the sun goes in and out of the clouds it is "motion" and I get 3 TINY snapshots (what were they thinking).

Will try going to 10%, but doubt that will work, hints for dealing with the sun, is line cross better?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everyone got this problem. Changing camera view or Line crossing can work a bit better depending on where you draw the line. (pun intended). Otherwise you need external alarm which is much better of course, like pir

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish thermal cameras were cheaper. They don't see shadows like normal cams do!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most reliable option is a cam with alarm inputs hooked to an external pir or pir/microwave motion detector.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish thermal cameras were cheaper. They don't see shadows like normal cams do!
They're getting there. Facial identification is poor though with thermal.

BTW, they're adopting them at traffic lights just for that reason - not blinded by car lights, glare, etc.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
actually don't see line crossing as an option in the H-series DVR from Nellys, just the motion detection, took it down to 0 sensitivity will see what that does. None of the cameras I bought from Nellys have alarm, nor does the h-series dvr have spot that I recall. Eventually will put in a real alarm system and perhaps then I can send a post or get from that system to the h-series and get a flag or something like that.

Hard to know all the stuff you want/need until you have it functioning and it's so imperfect.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
actually don't see line crossing as an option in the H-series DVR from Nellys, just the motion detection, took it down to 0 sensitivity will see what that does. None of the cameras I bought from Nellys have alarm, nor does the h-series dvr have spot that I recall. Eventually will put in a real alarm system and perhaps then I can send a post or get from that system to the h-series and get a flag or something like that.

Hard to know all the stuff you want/need until you have it functioning and it's so imperfect.
Log directly into the camera to find line crossing with internet explorer.

Without knowing the exact model numbers for cameras and NVRs then it's hard to give anything but generic help.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned (or if you've considered it) but it may be possible for you to MASK areas of the FOV which are problematic and cause issues triggering your camera.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well zero sensitivity is zero motion, one problem solved, another created.

Since it's the sun and it moves, whatever I exclude at 5:00pm will not be the same as 1:00pm :(

Will go log into the camera via the nvr remote configuration and see if that works.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just disable the alerts, if you manage to tune it so the clouds dont set it off.. it will never go off for anything else either.

Motion detection built into the cameras is not useful for anything other than marking a timeline for when activity could have occurred.. if you want alerts, then use a real security system with 100% reliability.

perfect example happened just a few days ago, at 2am the house goes on alert the front door is open.. wife got out of bed went down and shut the door, and reset the security system.. it apparently didnt get latched properly... had our house ever, even once notified us that the front door was open when it was infact not; I doubt anyone woulda got out of bed and the door would have been open all night long.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Motion detection was introduced when HDDs were really expensive and space needed to be saved.

People using motion detection and wanting it never to go off falsely soon realise this is a mistake when they can't find the footage of something that happened.

Ideal setup is 24/7 record with motion to highlight events. You can fast forward through stuff that is false, you can't playback something not recorded.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Just buy a real camera with decent analytics. Simples.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
$2500 for an openeye, already checked, that is just the camera, then you got the software license and their dvr..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If the software on a $2500 camera is that much better than on a $70 camera, why don't they sell $70 models and take over the industry?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Most real cameras have pretty good analytics. Look at Avigilon, Bosch, Sony or Panasonic. Sure, not $70 but then a crapload less than $2500.

Or continue to buy cheap product and complain about how they won't do what you want them to do. :) Sometimes in a challenging environment you need the right tool for the job.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes in a challenging environment you need the right tool for the job.
Yeah like not using cameras in lieu of a real security system.. unless you have eyes on the live stream cameras provide no active security; so dont using them to alert you that arbitrary analytic thresholds have been exceeded.. because its not making you any more secure.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah like not using cameras in lieu of a real security system.. unless you have eyes on the live stream cameras provide no active security; so dont using them to alert you that arbitrary analytic thresholds have been exceeded.. because its not making you any more secure.
No argument. I was merely pointing out that there are real analytics out there that work well and are affordable (for certain definitions of affordable). Sure, use a more appropriate technology where applicable, just don't assume because your cheap camera has crap analytics that they all do.

As far as security goes, video analytics outdoors don't work period. Anyone who says they do is selling something. They do make it easy to find stuff for post incident analysis and the difference between a good and bad analytic can be 300 events/day vs 3, and it's the 3 you want to see.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No argument. I was merely pointing out that there are real analytics out there that work well and are affordable (for certain definitions of affordable). Sure, use a more appropriate technology where applicable, just don't assume because your cheap camera has crap analytics that they all do.

As far as security goes, video analytics outdoors don't work period. Anyone who says they do is selling something. They do make it easy to find stuff for post incident analysis and the difference between a good and bad analytic can be 300 events/day vs 3, and it's the 3 you want to see.
If video analytics don't work outdoors then how would it solve op's problem.....be real...most home small business users are not spending 1k+ per camera... there are many easy ways to get accurate alerts.... pir, contact sensors....or region crossing in blue iris....you sound like a Ferrari owner in a Toyota forum..