200 photos of the porch because the sun is playing peek a boo

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as security goes, video analytics outdoors don't work period. Anyone who says they do is selling something. They do make it easy to find stuff for post incident analysis and the difference between a good and bad analytic can be 300 events/day vs 3, and it's the 3 you want to see.
I know for a fact that video analytics are used in a lot of gov't and other sensitive installations (power plants, airports).

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I know for a fact that video analytics are used in a lot of gov't and other sensitive installations (power plants, airports).
Indeed, I know lots of people who spec and install them. Doesn't mean they are either switched on, reliable or trusted though. At best they are an early warning or a filter (as in, hey look at this over here as it might be an intruder).

i did an extensive trial at an airport in Aus a year or so ago where we spent 12 weeks testing 4 different analytics vendors systems against a human in the hope of replacing a full time guard with technology, and I could beat the analytic 10 times out of 10. That involved ideal conditions, 2 visual and 2 thermal cameras to avoid shadows and discriminate vehicles and people. The reality is analytics work under contrived ideal conditions, but they still don't do a reliable enough job to perform a security role.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ideal setup is 24/7 record with motion to highlight events. You can fast forward through stuff that is false, you can't playback something not recorded.
Thats what I do. And i have two cameras with flags in the photos. Did my best outline where they wave with the motion detection in BI but it still happens. I just deal with it since my HK 4mm Turrets don't have alarm i/o so a PIR isn't an option until i decide of some of those sealevel relays are worth the cost.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Does BI have any way of applying logic to the motion events from the camera? I get passable results on R0 & R3 cameras by applying motion, intruder detection & line cross in the camera and gating them together in the VMS such that all 3 have to trigger to cause the VMS to flag an event.
I still get false events on night/day/night transitions and when a cloud passes over and causes a large scene brightness change, but reduced the false triggers considerably.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does BI have any way of applying logic to the motion events from the camera? I get passable results on R0 & R3 cameras by applying motion, intruder detection & line cross in the camera and gating them together in the VMS such that all 3 have to trigger to cause the VMS to flag an event.
I still get false events on night/day/night transitions and when a cloud passes over and causes a large scene brightness change, but reduced the false triggers considerably.
No (though it can be easily added- the developer is very responsive)...however, if using BI's own motion detection zones...some users also "clone" cameras, basically setting up a duplicate cam in blue iris for alerts only, this allows you to separately manage size/contrasts and other settings for alerts. (the duplicate can be hidden from the main display screen)...

you can tailor the alerts like this...from the help file.
The selection Fire when gives you the option to make these alerts global. It is possible to setup alerts on only one camera, and then fire those alerts when any camera on the system is triggered, or when any camera in a specific group of cameras is triggered. You may also limit the alerts for specific types of trigger: Motion (video), Audio, DIO (digital input signal), Group (another camera triggered this alert), or External (via the mobile app or web interface).
By default, Motion may occur in any of the 8 zones A-H if you use the Zone and Hot spot feature. However you may limit alerts to occur only when motion occurs in specific zones in either an "any" (any one of the zones) or "all" (the motion travels through all specified zones) mode.
There is an option labeled Also re-triggers. An initial trigger occurs when the camera goes from the non-triggered state to the triggered state. A re-trigger occurs when the camera is already in the triggered state, but additional motion or other trigger events occur.

You may specify to Allow disarm time in seconds. This will delay an alert in order to allow you time to disarm Blue Iris, for example to prevent an alert following entering your own home. During the disarm period, the loudspeaker icon will blink rapidly in the status bar. Typically, disarming means to use the traffic signal icon or to manually change the profile #.
In order to reduce the likelihood of a false alarm (as by shadows, insects, wind, etc.) you enable the Wait for motion at least X times in Y seconds option. For purposes of this feature, the camera must be in the triggered state, and motion (or external trigger source) must alternately begin and end. Note that regardless of this setting, Recording will still occur whenever the camera is triggered if you have specified to record based on motion/trigger.