Zmodo / Funlux suck how they manipulate the game.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Scratch that...I see what happened. They didn't "hide" for the reason you think. It was in the attempt to not have the community get a shilled deal essentially.

I happen to know that forum ;) You absolutely should mod alert shills!

If you feel that hasn't been working, just PM me there.
They dont care. There are lots of posts there from shills and bots, they deliberately leave them active.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea where you get the idea that 4 wires means only 1 pair used for data. that's just wrong.
The OP's post is about Zmodo and not any acceptable standards of Ethernet, POE, 10/100, T-568B, yada yada, etc.
I posted an image of Zmodo's "sPOE" connector in post #11 above.
The image is from Zmodo support.
I have repaired and replaced these cams for people and can attest to the accuracy of the image.
It has 2 wires for power and 2 for data just like in the image.
I know of no other way to convey this other than words and an image.....they are using ONE pair for data and ONE pair for power...the labels on the image for "data" and power" were placed there by Zmodo....it's really that simple.

NOW do you understand what I am saying here? :wtf:

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
They dont care. There are lots of posts there from shills and bots, they deliberately leave them active.
That hurts. We spend tons of time shill hunting. It's hard to catch them all with millions of members. Try watching live one time, it's amazing how many threads are posted.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That hurts. We spend tons of time shill hunting. It's hard to catch them all with millions of members. Try watching live one time, it's amazing how many threads are posted.
I'm talking about mods deliberately ignoring reports by multiple users. Here is an example of a pretty sophisticated bot you have there Most of the posts are links or copy past jobs. The links or comments are related to the OP but are not on point. Someone asks for a poe wire camera, there is a link to a wifi cam or similar. The bot will never respond to another users comments. So either your mods are too lazy to review the posts even after receiving complaints or they are too stupid to pick up on it. Not to mention that the site is a hotbed for liberal propaganda in the podium section filled with likely paid posters.

Last edited:

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't tell if you are calling me lazy, or stupid :rofl:

That user isn't a bot...but I know where you are coming from. I will let you to continue to think your thoughts...not looking to argue or justify the choices we have to make.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't tell if you are calling me lazy, or stupid :rofl:

That user isn't a bot...but I know where you are coming from. I will let you to continue to think your thoughts...not looking to argue or justify the choices we have to make.
You can choose, likely both.
See there you go, you didnt take the time to read the posts. You have done absolutely nothing to determine that its not a bot. Only a complete idiot does not see that its a bot. The fact that you are too lazy to review the posts or message the user to confirm, proves my point. Explain to me why the user NEVER responds to questions directed it at it, posts THOUSANDS of one line links and multiple incorrect responses to issues in tech support. The user is a bot 100 percent. Try this, message the users and ask for a specific response. See if you get one. That user is one of many similar bots.
I know exactly why you make the choices you make, its all about the post count and you wont delete a user with 3000 fake posts. Simple as that. There are many. You then charge more for the ads. Its a scam and its deceptive.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I try to laugh at the message SD added to be nice to the bots (new users), but sometimes it's hard.

I mostly read it as don't bother mod alerting bots. Sometimes you gotta ask, of all the gin joints on the net why on earth would you register to a site like SD just to post some of the stuff that is someone's first post.

Last edited:

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta ask, of all the gin joints on the net why on earth would you register here just to post that.
Assuming you mean me? I registered here for the site's purpose...not to defend another site. Saw this, so I commented. I am done with it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you mean me? I registered here for the site's purpose...not to defend another site. Saw this, so I commented. I am done with it.
I was commenting about bots registering to post bizarre crap on SD not you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Post away with your camera questions, I think we can stay on topic :)

bokenrosie

n3wb
Reaction score
So here's a fun fact I learned about my Zmodo system. That camera in the Garage was fine after all. Mickey and his friends made a snack of the wire that was run there. Since a few of the other cameras had already failed (i'd brought them to the NVR to test them) I just assumed...

The Hikvision that I replaced it with is a huge improvement.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mickey and his friends made a snack of the wire that was run there.
Rodents LOVE thermoplastic insulation, PVC insulation and polystyrene components for some reason.

Back in Feb. 2017 @tangent stated:
"Some plastics sometimes used in wire insulation are made with chemicals from corn and soy and are extra tasty to mice/rats/squirrels."

Last edited:

bokenrosie

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe time to put some PVC pipe out to that camera. Just one in the garage had the problem. They ate clear through the cable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a traffic signal & lighting tech, the squirrels would chew in a perfect circle around the thermoplastic top of the photoelectric cell for the street light, open 'em up like someone had used an old fashioned can opener leaving the 'lid' sticking up. The rain would come in, mess up the circuitry after a time and we'd get a call for the street light day-burning. At least the PEC would fail with the light on, as the circuit is designed to power the lamp ON with the normally closed contacts of the relay.

Their gopher cousins would burrow into any electrical pull box in the ground that did not have the bottom grouted and gnaw the traffic signal wiring. I pulled dozens of their electrocuted carcasses out of pull boxes and repaired the damage.

In Nov. of 2013 a gray squirrel chewed the ACSR (aluminum conductor steel reinforced) messenger on the overhead electrical service drop (which is also the neutral for a 120/240 volt, split-phase, 3-wire residence) going to my mom-in-laws house. Nothing in the house that ran on 120VAC would work, only the 240VAC water heater, clothes dryer and stove would work, as they don't need a neutral to operate.

The little devil gnawed through the metal like it was candy, only the 2 black hot legs supported the drop....makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

Apparently there's no driven rod beneath the house or anywhere near the panel for the meter and circuit breakers that's tied to the entering service neutral (the house was built in 1911). When that overhead drop was chewed, her 120VAC devices got their return to the utility via the cable TV box that had a ground for the cable coax collars/shields, those shields being grounded also further up the line at similar boxes on her neighbors' houses. I discovered this when I was troubleshooting her flickering lights prior to them going out completely and then discovering the chewed service neutral. You can see where the heat melted the insulation on the green "ground" wire and the coax collar due to the loose connection which caused much heat at the point of voltage drop. That little green wire, which ran from the panel to the grounding lug in the cable TV box, supplied the return to the utility company source via the cable TV shield for the entire house's 120 volt items when the squirrel chewed the overhead drop's neutral/messenger conductor (mouthful!). Of course, it didn't help matters either that the house doesn't appear to have a driven ground rod near the panel that was tied in to the panel. That would have provided most of the return instead of that little #14 green wire.

View attachment IMG_1939.MOV

flo-missing_neutral_111513.jpg

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a traffic signal & lighting tech, the squirrels would chew in a perfect circle around the thermoplastic top of the photoelectric cell for the street light, open 'em up like someone had used an old fashioned can opener leaving the 'lid' sticking up. The rain would come in, mess up the circuitry after a time and we'd get a call for the street light day-burning. At least the PEC would fail with the light on, as the circuit is designed to power the lamp ON with the normally closed contacts of the relay.

Their gopher cousins would burrow into any electrical pull box in the ground that did not have the bottom grouted and gnaw the traffic signal wiring. I pulled dozens of their electrocuted carcasses out of pull boxes and repaired the damage.

Over 5 years ago a gray squirrel chewed the ACSR (aluminum conductor steel reinforced) messenger on the overhead electrical service drop (which is also the neutral for a 120/240 volt, split-phase, 3-wire residence) going to my mom-in-laws house. Nothing in the house that ran on 120VAC would work, only the 240VAC water heater, clothes dryer and stove would work, as they don't need a neutral to operate.

The little devil gnawed through the metal like it was candy, only the 2 black hot legs supported the drop....makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

Apparently there's no driven rod beneath the house or anywhere near the panel for the meter and circuit breakers that's tied to the entering service neutral (the house was built in 1911). When that overhead drop was chewed, her 120VAC devices got their return to the utility via the cable TV box that had a ground for the cable coax collars/shields, those shields being grounded also further up the line at similar boxes on her neighbors' houses. I discovered this when I was troubleshooting her flickering lights prior to them going out completely and then discovering the chewed service neutral. You can see where the heat melted the insulation on the green "ground" wire and the coax collar due to the loose connection which caused much heat at the point of voltage drop. That little green wire, which ran from the panel to the grounding lug in the cable TV box, supplied the return to the utility company source via the cable TV shield for the entire house's 120 volt items when the squirrel chewed the overhead drop's neutral/messenger conductor (mouthful!). Of course, it didn't help matters either that the house doesn't appear to have a driven ground rod near the panel that was tied in to the panel. That would have provided most of the return instead of that little #14 green wire.

View attachment 39750

WOWZERS!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Over 5 years ago a gray squirrel chewed the ACSR (aluminum conductor steel reinforced) messenger on the overhead electrical service drop (which is also the neutral for a 120/240 volt, split-phase, 3-wire residence) going to my mom-in-laws house. Nothing in the house that ran on 120VAC would work, only the 240VAC water heater, clothes dryer and stove would work, as they don't need a neutral to operate.
A missing or weak neutral can cause a lot of problems. The voltage on the two phases can basically float depending on the load on each phase (above or below 120V, totaling 240V). The more unbalanced the loads on each phase are, the bigger the voltage fluctuation. I encountered something similar where there was a weak ground rod and weak/damaged neutral the result of an incompetent diy panel upgrade. The plastic insulation was melting off of the 240V service conductors coming into the box. It went unnoticed for many years until a space heater was connected and the main breaker tripped repeatedly.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Planning to upgrade my home Zmodo 14 camera system... need a little guidance