Zero Tier remote access to Blue Iris

Rgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Does ZeroTier require much overhead when running and not using in the background? I know that if you use Teamviewer set to autoconnect you have a lot of overhead.

Cooltiger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does ZeroTier require much overhead when running and not using in the background? I know that if you use Teamviewer set to autoconnect you have a lot of overhead.
My Dell 7040 with i7 6700 CPU running remote and headless. I am connected via ZT to manage and view it with Remote desktop.1679088921251.png

Reaction score
I have been using BI for a while and just found out about ZeroTier. Set it up a few days ago. WiFi working fine, but I couldn't get my android phone working away from the house. Walked through settings multiple times, no joy. Then started walking through step by step and discovered I entered the BI Server physical IP address from the ZeroTier site, and not the Managed IP address. Use the Managed IP address and you will be much happier.
Maybe I am confused but I don't think I need to mess with the BI server. I just want to setup a new camera in BI and have it pull from cameras that are remote and on a Starlink LAN.

Craig

Reaction score
There's a link to his original Zero Tier tutorial in his newer "Is Someone in My House?" remote access video.
Thank you Pogo but I have watched this one also. I just want to setup a new camera in BI and have it pull from cameras that are remote and on a Starlink LAN.

Craig

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Someone more knowledgeable than myself may chime in but I am thinking that the bandwidth required to stream 2 cameras full time may be a challenge.
Starlink is not enforcing its proposed 1 TB/mo limit yet but may happen in future.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tailscale is another option. I use pfsense firewall which has a tailscale option. I use it to easily setup site 2 site vpn. Setting it up on the firewall allows me full access to all devices on that network. Zerotier does not allow this from what I gather.

I have it setup at my parents. It allows me to go into their network easily but I have it setup so they cant go on to mine. Being incorporated into my firewall directly allows me to do this from any device on my home network without installing additional software on each computer.

I use zerotier and tailscale but I much prefer tailscale. Its pretty rock solid.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a video re connecting Blue Iris to Tailspin as there are several about connecting BI to Zero Tier?
I tried the vpn and zerotier methods of which neither would connect to Blue iris away from home, you really don't need a video per say with tailscale. If you can get the connection over wifi at home, tailscale is just a matter of downloading and connecting per their instructions. IE connecting 2 nodes, sharing 2 nodes. It is very simple. The only difference of in the house and on the road is turning it on, on my phone, then opening BI.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried the vpn and zerotier methods of which neither would connect to Blue iris away from home, you really don't need a video per say with tailscale. If you can get the connection over wifi at home, tailscale is just a matter of downloading and connecting per their instructions. IE connecting 2 nodes, sharing 2 nodes. It is very simple. The only difference of in the house and on the road is turning it on, on my phone, then opening BI.
What is the issue you are having? Did you check windows firewall and see if PUBLIC is enabled?

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are set up to receive notifications while away you are already on your way to a connection.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the issue you are having? Did you check windows firewall and see if PUBLIC is enabled?
I did everything under the sun and would only get a connection sometimes, and then maybe, maybe not the videos would load. worked on the vpn for a month, zerotier for 3 weeks, tailscale was immediate. Have a new phone now so don't know if that would have made a difference, but it aint broke so I won't fix it lol.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did everything under the sun and would only get a connection sometimes, and then maybe, maybe not the videos would load. worked on the vpn for a month, zerotier for 3 weeks, tailscale was immediate. Have a new phone now so don't know if that would have made a difference, but it aint broke so I won't fix it lol.
Make sure your using the zerotier address assigned to your blueiris pc and not the computer lan ip address . I once had them change on me for some reason.
Also make sure your settings under "Web Server" that you dont have bind exclusively checked.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure your using the zerotier address assigned to your blueiris pc and not the computer lan ip address . I once had them change on me for some reason.
Also make sure your settings under "Web Server" that you dont have bind exclusively checked.
I appreciate your willingness to help. I think there is a bit of confusion here. I'm no longer trying to use zerotier, finished with that over a year ago. Totally aware of all the trouble shooting of ip addresses, web server, etc. It simply would not work at that time. With tailscale working so easily I see no reason to go back to a different method. My router supports open vpn but I simply couldn't get things to work consistently. Tried everything I could find everywhere on both methods, a lot of reading and videos. Again, appreciate your help but I'm not having any problems with tailscale so I see no reason to try to change it. Just have to open the app to use it.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate your willingness to help. I think there is a bit of confusion here. I'm no longer trying to use zerotier, finished with that over a year ago. Totally aware of all the trouble shooting of ip addresses, web server, etc. It simply would not work at that time. With tailscale working so easily I see no reason to go back to a different method. My router supports open vpn but I simply couldn't get things to work consistently. Tried everything I could find everywhere on both methods, a lot of reading and videos. Again, appreciate your help but I'm not having any problems with tailscale so I see no reason to try to change it. Just have to open the app to use it.
Aww got ya! Tailscale is the best. I just hate it sometimes asking me to relogin when I use the app on my macbook.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a video re connecting Blue Iris to Tailspin as there are several about connecting BI to Zero Tier?
One video with quite a bit of usefull info about TAILSCALE can be seen at One thing that I learned from his video was that from your login console, you can disable the login expiration which defaults to expire within a few months after instalation. Tailscale also allows easy file transfers directly from your Windows File Explorer.
I use both Tailscale and Zerotier with BI with no problems. The only hassle is when using an Iphone, you have to switch between the 2 VPN's

duotronic

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had zerotier working for a week.
Two items I ran into:
The zerotier app slider on my android kept turning to the left and turning itself off. This stopped on its own.
Testing over cell network, I had to click the zt app settings and enable "use mobile data".
The bi Web server tab, the blue iris server set as the Local, internal (LAN) access ip. Can be set to either the original bi IP or the zt IP if "Bind exclusively is unchecked.".

Attachments

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In case in helps anyone, this is important troubleshooting info for anyone running BI as a service and using ZeroTier:

Setting to BI run as a service can kill remote access through ZeroTier. Setting BI to run with a "Delayed Start" lets ZeroTier get all operational before BI starts grabbing and setting IP addresses.

I'm still troubleshooting with remote access on my iPhone . . . I just got it working again. (It was working a week ago.) I'm not sure what I did to fix it yet! :rolleyes:

Andrew

Last edited: