You think you know it, you do it, but you're wrong

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Something like that. I don't recall exactly but was roughly in that range/time frame.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised to learn a camera would lose minutes over a period of a single day.
The worst clock drift I ever saw is a windows 7 virtual machine with some kind of incompatibility with the hypervisor (unraid). Currently its clock is off by 27 seconds, and according to NetTime it resynced just 16 minutes ago. I've since retired the VM for most purposes. That thing drifts by random amounts extremely often but for some reason it is always within about 2 minutes of the correct time. You could literally set the clock and come back 1 minute later and it could be off by a minute. So even doing an NTP sync every minute would not fix the issue.

In just a few minutes, the drift has changed, now it is only 20 seconds behind real time.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Prior to using the Time Server, viewing 11 cameras live, none of the times were in sync with each other, all out by a second or two or three, can't remember precisely. So was primarily for that reason I started with the time and now each camera has the exact same time, and every 10 mins is updated to the correct time, if need be. Like a comment above, I picked 10 mins to update for no particular reason.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been dealing with time drift in some form or another for the most part of my life. About every decade I have tried very hard to use, incorporate, and integrate the best in class time keeping technology the market has to offer. Like other technological Things in my home the biggest push has been to have as many devices local first vs cloud first.

I want to limit my reliance on needing a Internet connection especially for time keeping . . .

The greatest advancements to the common man as it relates to time keeping has been the second hand used market. Next, is the incredible competition for GPS enabled devices which has driven the cost down where anyone can have, use, and integrate their very own local first GPS NTP Server. :thumb:

I haven't looked back for more than 15 years since running my local first Stratum 1 Servers.

The big plan for the end of 2022 is to have every Atomic Clock, GPS NTP server fully integrated and deployed. As of this writing the big push is to finalize and validate hardline / wireless time servers to offer more resiliency, redundancy, and fail over.

Just a quick image capture from my ISM Server

Statistics from the five locally hosted Stratum 1 GPS NTP Servers which offer a PPS (Pulse Per Second) time reference.

The biggest push for me in 2022 has been to integrate new systems that support the four major GPS satellite services. As this insures 100% coverage no matter where I am on the planet. This is especially important when I or the team are in motion / out in the sticks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Very nice. Way beyond my needs and level.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Somebody should fix the planet. We have to add a whole day every 4years because it's RTC is crap. Thats 6 hours a year. or 3 hours every 6 months.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Very nice. Way beyond my needs and level.
It’s fair to say everyone walks their own path until there’s a want / need. The vast majority of the people on this forum are considered the 1% as it relates to video security.

People are hard pressed to look down their street and see a single video camera. Never mind people who have 3-5-20-64+?!? Yet this forum alone affirms the endless upgrades and increased number of cameras on their property.

Time keeping is simply another facet and addiction to home automation and security for many of us.

Almost every person I know has started off with just the RTC from the MOBO. Later people simply used Windows Time Servers.

The vast majority of the population just stop there! As seen here the IP Cam members want more so they install dedicated NTP Time Server software to enable them to mimic a local NTP Time Reference.

Again, that 1% has now become the 0.7% because few if ever go that far.

At some point there’s going to be an itch to get that Nth degree of time keeping.

I got that itch long ago and just kept on going because the technology is so cheap to obtain & use!