Yet Another Free Extension for Blue Iris Adding AI Object Dectection/Reduction in False Alarms/Enhanced Notification of Activity/On Guard

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After reading 50+ pages on AI Tools and OnGuard... it is my understanding if I run all my cameras in 24/7 continous mode, I do NOT need to clone cameras?
I do not think a single camera is possible because the triggers that generate the jpegs would also mark the same event in your continuous recording.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not looked at AI Tools for 6 months or more so I don't know what he does currently.

On Guard is currently setup for a cloned camera. I know that makes setup a little messier/harder. However, I have been working on fixing bugs and adding some new features. So, for On Guard please use a cloned camera setup. That may change in the future. However, I am not trying to match AI Tools feature for feature, so the single camera setup may not be a priority.

Reaction score
making progress! but not without question.
How can Deepstack AI make out a person with 93% accuracy in that kind of pixelated blurry image? Heck, I would of been 93% accurately sure I was a shovel.
Problems I will tackle tomorrow:
1.) Blue Iris is recording from the substream cloned camera, not the main stream camera for the Blue Iris alerts. Not sure how to tell On Guard to send trigger alert to main stream camera so that Blue Iris alert recordings are high quality. As matter of fact, don't remember inputting a trigger URL anywhere.
2.) Can not get Live Image On Demand - Snapshot or Continuous to work. Keeps saying No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:80 Firewall turned off / Anti-Virus turned off. I tried both 80 and 81 for ports in the camera configuration (not sure what it was asking here...the actual physical camera port of default 80 or the Blue Iris port that uses 81 so tried both. Deepstack uses 8090 port). Tried a couple different working Blue Iris user names, no go. I am sure it's something simple once I get some sleep and coffee.

onguard example 1.jpg

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The no connection found at localhost, error. "The AI Detection process was not found at: "
I turned off Windows firewall just to make sure. Disabled bitdefender anti-virus just to make sure. Did put in the API, port 8090, detection API for Deepstack AI. grrr... I'll figure this out eventually :) I bet is a simple thing. Every time I hit "test DeepStack Connection", I get that [GIN] line in the DeepStack status window showing up. So that's something!
View attachment 77577
If the Test Connection feature works then sending a picture from the camera should work. However, the test feature just sends an image from an embedded file within the application and doesn't really read any actual camera file location. It was just designed to make sure you could reach DeepStack.

I would suspect your anti-virus software. Try turning it off and see what happens. In any event anti-virus should be setup to exclude On Guard from any management/prohibitions/etc. That is necessary to cleanup files.

Try doing a copy/paste of a .jpg file into your camera directory. Then, take a look at the log file (Under Help). That may provide some additional information

If it still doesn't work then the problem is probably someplace else in your setup. I will try to add a Test Camera feature that actually puts a file with the correct prefix in your camera file folder. However, it may be a chore for me to help you track the whole chain of events from file to object identification. I'll take a look after the next release (which I hope will be within a week). No promises on when an expanded test feature will make it in.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
making progress! but not without question.
How can Deepstack AI make out a person with 93% accuracy in that kind of pixelated blurry image? Heck, I would of been 93% accurately sure I was a shovel.
Problems I will tackle tomorrow:
1.) Blue Iris is recording from the substream cloned camera, not the main stream camera for the Blue Iris alerts. Not sure how to tell On Guard to send trigger alert to main stream camera so that Blue Iris alert recordings are high quality. As matter of fact, don't remember inputting a trigger URL anywhere.
2.) Can not get Live Image On Demand - Snapshot or Continuous to work. Keeps saying No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:80 Firewall turned off / Anti-Virus turned off. I tried both 80 and 81 for ports in the camera configuration (not sure what it was asking here...the actual physical camera port of default 80 or the Blue Iris port that uses 81 so tried both. Deepstack uses 8090 port). Tried a couple different working Blue Iris user names, no go. I am sure it's something simple once I get some sleep and coffee.

View attachment 77598
Unlike AI Tool On Guard currently requires the use of a camera clone to actually trigger the motion event and then pass it on the "video recording" camera. I don't know if this is related to your problem or not. I'm not a Blue Iris expert. There are a ton of settings there. The (old) instruction checklist from AI Tool had a pretty comprehensive list of things to do. However, it is my understanding is that things have changed there fairly dramatically, so... I'll help where I can but I'm deep into changing multiple things for the next release of On Guard.

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Feature request:

Camera Configuration - Camera Tab- Add an edit button. I started with my clips on a SATA drive and moved them to a SSD and had to recreate the cameras. I have some orphan areas of interest now.
Edit Areas of Interest - Add a delete button to get rid of orphan areas of interest.

The addition of notification via MQTT has been great. In On Guard I have turned off the Notification Urls and email alerts. I am receiving the MQTT topics in HomeSeer and triggering the Blue Iris clone masters to record based on conditions being met within events. I am also managing texts, email and push notifications with HomeSeer, sending the jpeg identified in the payload of the MQTT topic in the message. I am very happy with On Guard and DeepStack and how it has allowed me to take my video surveillance to a new level.

Reaction score
I will try to add a Test Camera feature that actually puts a file with the correct prefix in your camera file folder. However, it may be a chore for me to help you track the whole chain of events from file to object identification. I'll take a look after the next release (which I hope will be within a week). No promises on when an expanded test feature will make it in.
naw, no expanded test feature on my account. I am sure it's something simple I am overlooking. I was trying to read/watch vids at midnight which is never a good thing for the IQ :) I will also venture down the path of jz3082's post of relying on MQTT to shuttle things around after I know what I am doing and things get operational.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Feature request:

Camera Configuration - Camera Tab- Add an edit button. I started with my clips on a SATA drive and moved them to a SSD and had to recreate the cameras. I have some orphan areas of interest now.
Edit Areas of Interest - Add a delete button to get rid of orphan areas of interest.

The addition of notification via MQTT has been great. In On Guard I have turned off the Notification Urls and email alerts. I am receiving the MQTT topics in HomeSeer and triggering the Blue Iris clone masters to record based on conditions being met within events. I am also managing texts, email and push notifications with HomeSeer, sending the jpeg identified in the payload of the MQTT topic in the message. I am very happy with On Guard and DeepStack and how it has allowed me to take my video surveillance to a new level.
The next version (that I hope to release in the next week or so) will add enhanced MQTT support. You will be able send an MQTT when motion stops. You be able define your own MQTT message topic/payload. There will also be some other features and bug fixes. However, because the data format is changing somewhat you will need to rebuild your areas and camera definitions. In fact, these files will be stored in another location under your User directory. Therefore, the "orphaned" areas will be gone! You can always delete an area by opening it up and deleting it.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By orphaned I mean an AOI that you cannot open like below.

View attachment 77667
I've never seen one quite like that, but it may be related to a bug I fixed locally yesterday. That fix will be part of the next release. You should also see a little more user friendly error message.

You can manually delete the entire data file for the camera's area. You would then need to re-create your areas. The location/name of that file should be something like: C:\Users\YourUserNamerWhateverThatIs\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\On Guard\On Guard\MyCamera-AreasOfInterest.bin. Obviously, substitute the appropriate names. The absurdly long path to the files is part of why I'm changing the file location for the next version (at least it will be slightly better). I am also considering a feature to allow the user to automatically cleanup/delete his files.

Reaction score
FYI: to make Live Image - On Demand work, I could not use Tools/Camera Setting/Live Camera/Camera IP Computer Name as "localhost". Had to use the direct IP (192.168.x.x). Works now. I am sure not a OnGuard issue but my network setup.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI: to make Live Image - On Demand work, I could not use Tools/Camera Setting/Live Camera/Camera IP Computer Name as "localhost". Had to use the direct IP (192.168.x.x). Works now. I am sure not a OnGuard issue but my network setup.
I use localhost on my computer all the time. Blue Iris must be on the same PC. If that doesn’t work I don’t have any idea why it wouldn’t work. That should be baked into your PC

Reaction score
Yep, BI & Deepstack & OnGuard all on same PC. I may find out why after things settle down but for now, I'll run with the working entered IP entry.

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How does DeepStack get the image to process. Does On Guard send it over port 8090 or does DeepStack read it directly from the hard drive?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

BI has an option to bind to a specific network interface on your server in the webserver settings. If this is enabled (usually for security), BI won't listen on localhost anymore - you have to use your BI IP instead.

1608844004664.png

Reaction score
Web server /
BI has an option to bind to a specific network interface on your server in the webserver settings. If this is on (usually for security), localhost won't work, you have to use your BI IP instead.
Web Server / Bind Exclusively? That is unchecked.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a similar issue where : port wouldn't work but 127.0.0.1: port would.