Yet Another Free Extension for Blue Iris Adding AI Object Dectection/Reduction in False Alarms/Enhanced Notification of Activity/On Guard

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1.4.7 still crashes on my server. One thing I noticed in the even log as soon as it crashed was this SQL error.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib
Date: 1/7/2021 6:15:49 PM
Event ID: 2003
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: DOMAIN\Administrator
Computer: neptune
Description:
The configuration information of the performance library "sqlctr90.dll" for the "MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.
When I have the time I will try to install a VM with a Windows Server build in it. I know that you are using Windows DataCenter. Probably the problem would be the same on Windows Server.

I somewhat suspect that part of the problem is probably related to the fact that the application is not "signed" with a developer certificate. That's not an option since the project is open source and I don't want to spend the $300 to get a signing certificate anyway.

I think that the information about "not trusted" is the giveaway that there is some security setting that needs to be adjusted either with the application or with your setup. I am not a Windows Server expert so I'm not sure where to look without actually trying it. It does look like the location of the problem in the code has changed somewhat.

I don't know when I can get the VM installed. My WAG is that this would take a few hours once started, and possibly more disk space than I have available. I'll work on it when I have a chance, but even if I can get the VM installed I'm not 100% certain that it would help since my security settings would not necessarily be identical you yours. It is also possible that the problem may be related to a SQL installation somewhere on your machine that is interfering with the very restricted version of SQL (LocalDB) I'm using. So, even if the Windows Server install identical to yours I'm not sure whether I could get the SQL environment reasonably identical.

The other thing that could be going on related to Perflib (above is the Windows Performance Counter library) is interesting. The only way I'm using anything related to that is the CPU "busy" counter control on the main screen. It is possible that there is some security restriction around that too. It is also possible that Perflib is called indirectly by SQL stuff.

In essence what I'm saying is that it will take a lot of time and effort to track this down. Fixing a problem like this is not necessarily about just fixing my part of the equation. I will get to this, I'm not sure exactly when I can get back to you on it. It is probably that once I get a Server version installed the problem and solution will be pretty obvious.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many apologies! The problem was related to the resolution on my development machine. Unfortunately, I may or may not get a fix up tonight. About 10 minutes ago a tree came down in a windstorm and almost hit the house. It missed it by about 10 feet (at least I think it all missed). So, if I can't get it tonight the odds of tomorrow are slim to none. It did block our front door. Maybe I'll post a picture in the morning.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I've released 1.4.7.2 at the same location: Release On Guard Security Assistant Version 1.4.7.2 · Ken98045/On-Guard

This fixes the issue with things not in the correct screen locations -- things off the screen.

It turns out I forgot that the tool I'm using to create the windows scaled (changed the font sizes window sizes and everything else) on the screen so that many things were off the screen.

I changed the font scaling on my computer because I was having problems seeing things after starring at the screen so long.. I'd forgotten that this (very old) tool automagically changes all the sizes for everyone, rather than just for me. Unfortunately, is was very wrong for everyone else. My test computers have the same font size so they "just worked".

Oh, the joys of writing software. It really is my own fault for using such an old tool I guess since the newer tools don't have that problem. At some point I'll change over to a more modern version, but that is a pretty big change and I only want to do that when things have been stable for a month or more.

I did test this on about 6 different screen resolutions, and it seems to work. However, it is getting late and I need to get the chainsaw warmed up tomorrow morning.

Leave a message here with any problems and I'll get to it when I can. Probably tomorrow if I don't cut my leg off.

Reaction score
2021.01.07 23:45:54:9569 - 0 interesting objects found in file: D:\AI\AI_Front.20210107_234554083.jpg
2021.01.08 15:42:47:8256 - Out of memory.
2021.01.08 15:43:00:3143 - Parameter is not valid.
2021.01.08 15:43:02:0908 - Parameter is not valid.
2021.01.08 15:43:11:5233 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:14:3964 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:17:7196 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:30:3086 - On Guard started at: 1/8/2021 3:43:30 PM
Interesting. Not sure what this was about. But had to restart v1.4.6 OnGuard. Maybe I'll upgrade to latest v1.4.7.2

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2021.01.07 23:45:54:9569 - 0 interesting objects found in file: D:\AI\AI_Front.20210107_234554083.jpg
2021.01.08 15:42:47:8256 - Out of memory.
2021.01.08 15:43:00:3143 - Parameter is not valid.
2021.01.08 15:43:02:0908 - Parameter is not valid.
2021.01.08 15:43:11:5233 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:14:3964 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:17:7196 - Not enough memory resources are available to process this command
2021.01.08 15:43:30:3086 - On Guard started at: 1/8/2021 3:43:30 PM
Interesting. Not sure what this was about. But had to restart v1.4.6 OnGuard. Maybe I'll upgrade to latest v1.4.7.2
Sorry, I haven't seen that. I processed over 10K pictures last night alone (lots of moving branches!). Memory used hasn't increased. Maybe there is something in the code that is going in circles and keeps grabbing memory, but I have no idea what that might be.

I believe that 1.4.7.2 is working fine, but that's what I thought with 1.4.7

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
maybe was the infamous BI memory leak. I'll keep eye on it.
BI is a hog. Mine is currently using 3.7GB, but I do have 4 cameras, 2 of which are 2560x1920. That seems excessive. I'll need to keep an eye on it and see if it is increasing. You might want to keep an on on DeepStack too. My On Guard uses about 42MB which is really very little.. It is possible that it is leaking or getting into some kind of weird state though. If it happens again please open Task Manager and see if something strange is going on with On Guard.

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Beta Testers Needed!

I have committed the first draft of Version 1.5.1. These are not in a Release yet, but the setup files are in the main code branch. Just get the setup files by doing a Download Code.

This version does require that you re-create cameras and areas. The reason for this is that the camera and area settings are no longer stored in data files. Instead they are in the Windows Registry. These changes were made in order to make try to allow for future upgrades without needing to re-create cameras and areas. I can't promise that will always be successful, but I'll make every effort to do so. Note that some application wide settings are still still stored in your AppData settings location using the "automagic" Windows area. They will be going away very soon so that you can upgrade versions without them being blanked out.

In addition the following features have been added, other changes:
1. Url/Http notifications now include the ability to set Blue Iris Confirm and Flag settings. You can also reset these settings, but I don't know why you'd want to. Note that these flags only apply to the first .jpg file before the Cool Down. Later I may add the ability to flag/confirm all pictures with interesting images regardless of whether they are the first picture before the cool down period. Let me know if this seems necessary. I haven't paid much attention to these BI flags before.
2. You can add an optional wait time before making any URL/Http notification. With the creative use of wait times you can sequence URL/Http notifications to occur in the order you specify. Note that the order listed in the Notifications dialog is meaningless. If you want URL notifications to happen 1, 2, 3 you can add 1, 2, or 3 seconds before each URL notification.
3. You can set the URL Cool Down time to zero.
4. Several bugs were fixed (and hopefully not too many added).
5. The Test Pictures menu item is back (if you didn't get that already).
6. The ability to install for "All Users" has been removed from the setup application in order to simplify administration and debugging. This may be temporary. Be aware, however that the settings are now stored in the Registry for the "Current User".
7. When there are no pictures available for a camera a placeholder picture is displayed. If you don't like this picture provide your own!
8. The X and Y resolutions of the picture being displayed are shown at the top of the picture. These are there because the user can decide to change the resolution of the pictures in the save .jpg files. There is a lot of support to enable to use of changed resolutions without changing area definitions and I want to make sure that this is all correct. If they aren't then this may be more obvious. It also allows you to compare images at different resolutions.
9. The Cool Down period for URL notifications has been changed so that those of you storing images at a high rate of speed (more than 1/second) will not get multiple notifications within a second.

Unless I hear of substantial new bugs before Monday 2/18/21 I will probably create a new Release point then. Please let me know (here) if you have tried this version so I know if there weren't any bugs reported because nobody has tried it!

Reaction score
A good reason to upgrade past v1.4.6 ! Just been too busy with emergency vandalism event around here to upgrade of late but now that I have motion detectors outside as primary, camera work is now secondary. About to put all cameras onto OnGuard so .... 1.5.1 here I come!

Reaction score
sorry Ken... still using
Beta Testers Needed!

I have committed the first draft of Version 1.5.1. These are not in a Release yet, but the setup files are in the main code branch. Just get the setup files by doing a Download Code.

This version does require that you re-create cameras and areas. The reason for this is that the camera and area settings are no longer stored in data files. Instead they are in the Windows Registry. These changes were made in order to make try to allow for future upgrades without needing to re-create cameras and areas. I can't promise that will always be successful, but I'll make every effort to do so. Note that some application wide settings are still still stored in your AppData settings location using the "automagic" Windows area. They will be going away very soon so that you can upgrade versions without them being blanked out.

In addition the following features have been added, other changes:
1. Url/Http notifications now include the ability to set Blue Iris Confirm and Flag settings. You can also reset these settings, but I don't know why you'd want to. Note that these flags only apply to the first .jpg file before the Cool Down. Later I may add the ability to flag/confirm all pictures with interesting images regardless of whether they are the first picture before the cool down period. Let me know if this seems necessary. I haven't paid much attention to these BI flags before.
2. You can add an optional wait time before making any URL/Http notification. With the creative use of wait times you can sequence URL/Http notifications to occur in the order you specify. Note that the order listed in the Notifications dialog is meaningless. If you want URL notifications to happen 1, 2, 3 you can add 1, 2, or 3 seconds before each URL notification.
3. You can set the URL Cool Down time to zero.
4. Several bugs were fixed (and hopefully not too many added).
5. The Test Pictures menu item is back (if you didn't get that already).
6. The ability to install for "All Users" has been removed from the setup application in order to simplify administration and debugging. This may be temporary. Be aware, however that the settings are now stored in the Registry for the "Current User".
7. When there are no pictures available for a camera a placeholder picture is displayed. If you don't like this picture provide your own!
8. The X and Y resolutions of the picture being displayed are shown at the top of the picture. These are there because the user can decide to change the resolution of the pictures in the save .jpg files. There is a lot of support to enable to use of changed resolutions without changing area definitions and I want to make sure that this is all correct. If they aren't then this may be more obvious. It also allows you to compare images at different resolutions.
9. The Cool Down period for URL notifications has been changed so that those of you storing images at a high rate of speed (more than 1/second) will not get multiple notifications within a second.

Unless I hear of substantial new bugs before Monday 2/18/21 I will probably create a new Release point then. Please let me know (here) if you have tried this version so I know if there weren't any bugs reported because nobody has tried it!
One day I'll be github professional.... but... I click on the link from page 1 of this post ( Ken98045/On-Guard ) and it takes me to github. I see .msi for 1.5.1 as: BIN +8 KB (100%) Setup/Installer.msi but nothing happens. Is that the wrong link?

Reaction score
sorry Ken... still using
sorry Ken... still using

One day I'll be github professional.... but... I click on the link from page 1 of this post ( Ken98045/On-Guard ) and it takes me to github. I see .msi for 1.5.1 as: BIN +8 KB (100%) Setup/Installer.msi but nothing happens. Is that the wrong link?
found it. 1.5.1 downloading

Reaction score
what should I be on the look out for, Ken? Anything in particular you would like to have testing on? I could use the MTTQ on a camera or two for testing purposes even though I let Blue Iris handle that.
I have 5 front of house cameras using OnGuard & Deepstack as of last night. Already, Deepstack woke me up at 4am when it thought a bush was a person when neighbor's backup truck lights illuminated the bush :)

Ken98045

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what should I be on the look out for, Ken? Anything in particular you would like to have testing on? I could use the MTTQ on a camera or two for testing purposes even though I let Blue Iris handle that.
I have 5 front of house cameras using OnGuard & Deepstack as of last night. Already, Deepstack woke me up at 4am when it thought a bush was a person when neighbor's backup truck lights illuminated the bush :)
If you have a need you could try out the Wait before Notify and/or the BI Confirm/Flag settings in the URL notifications.
About 90% of the settings are now stored in the registry as opposed to files. I want to make sure that there is no weirdness there. It is possible that everything isn't being stored/restored correctly, but I've tried to be very careful about ensuring that it works, but it would be easy to miss something.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I guess the natural progression is for me to consider one of these AI tools LOL.

Am I reading right that this is Windows and nothing else needs to be running like Docker? I tried several months ago another application that needed Docker and it wouldn't run on my system. I looked up every option on how to get it going and nothing worked.

Reaction score
So I guess the natural progression is for me to consider one of these AI tools LOL.

Am I reading right that this is Windows and nothing else needs to be running like Docker? I tried several months ago another application that needed Docker and it wouldn't run on my system. I looked up every option on how to get it going and nothing worked.
I have OnGuard running on my Windows BI machine. I also have Deepstack AI for Windows running on same Windows BI machine. So no need for Docker related material.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Holbs - that is awesome - did you see an appreciable jump in CPU utilization?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Ken98045 - from your 1st post
Let me know if/when you run across any bugs. The project has analyzed for 400,000 potential motion pictures so it should be relatively stable. That said, everyone's Windows installation is a little different, and it is difficult for me to test it on multiple PCs. If there are problems they will more than likely be on the initial setup. I have tried to minimize problems there, but the first users may have issues to overcome. There is a relatively extensive manual OnGuard-ReadMe.docx included with the project.
I am trying to look at the manual and it comes up with an error:

Reaction score
@Holbs - that is awesome - did you see an appreciable jump in CPU utilization?
when idle...maybe 1% cpu usage. It does spike for a second for the Deepstack to do it's analytical part...sometimes upto 60%. But that is only for a fraction of a second while having 20 cameras running 24/7 recording. After things settle down with my security issue, I have to edit full time recording, only motion recording, schedules, etc for specific cameras as there is no need to run 24/7 on every single camera.
Was able to snag a low profile video card that can do 900+ CUDA's at local auction for cheap. GPU use with Deepstack/OnGuard may or may not help. #7 research item to look into on my list.