Yet another CPU Usage Question

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a new Lenovo Laptop W541 to handle some new cameras on my network--I have 7 total cameras: 5 Hiks, an old Logitech Alert 1MP and I also have my laptop integrated camera on the network, but it's inactive unless I'm away from the house. Anyway, here are a series of screenshots that should give any helpers the info they need. BTW, all cams are set to direct to disk, no overlays in BI or the cameras themselves. I'm using the BI dvr container for all recordings.
With my current settings my CPU usage averages about 21%. What I'd like to be able to do is make use of all the Hik's capabilites which I am currently not doing. When I change to 4MP resolution or increase fps or increase bitrate, the CPU increase keeps the fan speed too high and consequently not something I'd prefer....the usage goes up into the 50s-60s. I know some folks would love that rate, however I got this laptop to handle this load which I think it should be able to. I've also tried using the standard H264 vs H264+, switched back and forth between constant and variable speed, etc. So any insight you all might have would be great....at least to hold me over until hardware acceleration gets here. More pictures in the next post....

12-7-2015 3-09-56 PM.png12-7-2015 3-13-34 PM.png12-7-2015 3-13-13 PM.png12-7-2015 3-12-21 PM.png12-7-2015 3-13-24 PM.png12-7-2015 3-12-35 PM.png12-7-2015 3-13-42 PM.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new Lenovo Laptop W541 to handle some new cameras on my network--I have 7 total cameras: 5 Hiks, an old Logitech Alert 1MP and I also have my laptop integrated camera on the network, but it's inactive unless I'm away from the house. Anyway, here are a series of screenshots that should give any helpers the info they need. BTW, all cams are set to direct to disk, no overlays in BI or the cameras themselves. I'm using the BI dvr container for all recordings.
With my current settings my CPU usage averages about 21%. What I'd like to be able to do is make use of all the Hik's capabilites which I am currently not doing. When I change to 4MP resolution or increase fps or increase bitrate, the CPU increase keeps the fan speed too high and consequently not something I'd prefer....the usage goes up into the 50s-60s. I know some folks would love that rate, however I got this laptop to handle this load which I think it should be able to. I've also tried using the standard H264 vs H264+, switched back and forth between constant and variable speed, etc. So any insight you all might have would be great....at least to hold me over until hardware acceleration gets here. More pictures in the next post....

View attachment 6783View attachment 6788View attachment 6786View attachment 6784View attachment 6787View attachment 6785View attachment 6789
Are you running in demo mode?
Out of curiosity why did you choose a laptop?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No sir, I'm licensed...x64 latest release (4.2.6.4)

Having difficulty getting the other screenshots posted.
I like the ease of running everything from my home computer which is the laptop...no desktop here.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a Blue Iris FANBOY...but Blue Iris is a processor HOG brother and the only way you are going to keep that fan in the off state is to reduce the processor load which BI dictates. This is best done by reducing your frame rate (as a test set all of your cameras to 5FPS) and turning on "direct-to disk". While in Blue Iris, click on a camera, then right click and select Camera Properties>Record > Video File Format and Compression > (Select) Direct-to-disk.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Q2U--I've done all that and it does the trick, but was hoping there was a tweak I was missing somewhere in order to fully appreciate 4MP at 20fps....guess I'll have to wait for the next generation of Blue Iris updates.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman, just curious, would a desktop computer have more resources to tackle the BI beast?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman, just curious, would a desktop computer have more resources to tackle the BI beast?
I have not setup desktop systems with multiple 4mp cameras...but I can tell you that an i7-4770 can handle 27 or so mp at 30 percent... While that laptop is very powerful 9000+ benchmark, the system may be throttling the processor...check the bios settings
is there a particular reason you went with a laptop? There are MUCH better desktops (skylake) for WAY less than the cost of that laptop..

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not setup desktop systems with multiple 4mp cameras...but I can tell you that an i7-4770 can handle 27 or so mp at 30 percent... While that laptop is very powerful 9000+ benchmark, the system may be throttling the processor...check the bios settings
is there a particular reason you went with a laptop? There are MUCH better desktops (skylake) for WAY less than the cost of that laptop..
Thanks for the bios tip; I'll check that. Re: laptop, I just like the small footprint and mobility of a laptop--not financially efficient, but that was a secondary concern. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the bios tip; I'll check that. Re: laptop, I just like the small footprint and mobility of a laptop--not financially efficient, but that was a secondary concern. Thanks again.
one of the downsides to a laptop is that (at least the ones that I have used) do not have the ability to restart after a power loss. Should you have an extended outage youll have a problem.