would you buy a refurbished harddrive?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The SSDs are sure falling fast, the Samsungs I purchase are normally $240 for 500gb now and $120-$130 for 250gb. I have a stack of 8 of the 120gb version sitting in a cabinet behind me all imaged and ready to go in my next NVR builds, and all I do is add HDD storage.

I purchased my normal WD Enterprise HD today and the prices on those are half what they were a year or so ago. 2tb Enterprise drive for $94, that is a great deal overall. I thought about trying the purple drives out but at newegg they are getting pretty bad reviews and high failure rates on those drives so I'm sticking with what has never failed on me yet anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/RE4-Enterprise-Hard-Drive-WD2003FYYS/dp/B002XW44QY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407861183&sr=8-3&keywords=wd+enterprise

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Razer - I've noted the "professional" series Samsungs are significantly higher priced than the non-pro versions. For example, on newegg a Samsung 840 PRO Series 256g SSD is $189, while a Samsung 840 EVO 250g is only $139 - besides 6gb difference, any insight into what is it that they're selling in the "pro" series for ~40% more? Do you use the pro series in your builds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use the EVOs now, I used to use the Pro models before the EVOs hit the market. There is really one big difference, the type or memory used in the SSD. The Pro uses MLC memory and the EVO uses TLC memory. TLC memory on the EVO will wear out faster than the MLC memory, but after looking at how long a drive will last I am not worried about it at all. If I wrote 100gb a day to the 120gb drive the drive would last roughly 4 years. This gets better the bigger the drive of course too. The other difference is that in most tests the EVO is faster as it is a newer controller now too.

I'll never be writing hardly anything to the OS drive of a DVR, all the writing is going on in the normal storage drive so if I wrote 10gb a day (which is still massive overkill, I bet they don't write 100mb sitting there doing nothing) then I'm looking at a theoretical 40 year lifespan. I feel comfortable with that lol.

See this very in-depth look at SSDs, and the Samsung 840evo specifically for lots of details. I'm linking the lifespan page specifically but the whole thing is a great read if you're into this type of thing. Anand is the man if for all tech reviews if you are looking for every detail known to man lol.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

I have 50 of the 840Pro models in my office in desktops with no issues over the last 1.5 years or so roughly. I have an 830 in my laptop that is 2.5 years old and used day to day for tons of work and has had no issues. EVO drives I have been installing for about a year, I have at least 20 installed in DVR applications now and I've never hand to replace a single SSD anywhere yet. I've now jinxed myself, of course, but whatever!

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the EVOs now, I used to use the Pro models before the EVOs hit the market. There is really one big difference, the type or memory used in the SSD. The Pro uses MLC memory and the EVO uses TLC memory. TLC memory on the EVO will wear out faster than the MLC memory, but after looking at how long a drive will last I am not worried about it at all. If I wrote 100gb a day to the 120gb drive the drive would last roughly 4 years. This gets better the bigger the drive of course too. The other difference is that in most tests the EVO is faster as it is a newer controller now too.

I'll never be writing hardly anything to the OS drive of a DVR, all the writing is going on in the normal storage drive so if I wrote 10gb a day (which is still massive overkill, I bet they don't write 100mb sitting there doing nothing) then I'm looking at a theoretical 40 year lifespan. I feel comfortable with that lol.

See this very in-depth look at SSDs, and the Samsung 840evo specifically for lots of details. I'm linking the lifespan page specifically but the whole thing is a great read if you're into this type of thing. Anand is the man if for all tech reviews if you are looking for every detail known to man lol.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

I have 50 of the 840Pro models in my office in desktops with no issues over the last 1.5 years or so roughly. I have an 830 in my laptop that is 2.5 years old and used day to day for tons of work and has had no issues. EVO drives I have been installing for about a year, I have at least 20 installed in DVR applications now and I've never hand to replace a single SSD anywhere yet. I've now jinxed myself, of course, but whatever!
Great explanation - thanks for the reply & link - fully satisfied my curiosity. :cool:

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am gather there is not difference whether putting in a laptop or desk drive with ssd? other than mounting.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I breezed though that and the other link you posted. These pc will die before ssd i am thinking, they are older dell xps410s.The article's were good !! My problem is i cant remember what I read anymore.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you - I have the same problem these days :D ... might want to do some research & make sure the bios in your dells will handle a ssds or at least which ssds will work in them properly before moving forward ...

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On most older PCs, and even some newer, you may well not actually get the full speed of the drives as they require a SATA 6 connection and even some of my newer Sandy Bridge motherboards only have SATA 3. It does not bother me as it's still a massive improvement in speed and reliability so it is worth it.

I have i3 computers with 4gb of ram built for many of my Exacq camera systems, and these are also actually running a customer facing kiosk software too. The Exacq software is running in the background recoding 4-16 cameras depending on the location and the kiosk software is customer facing on a touchscreen so I only have one PC doing the job of two. With the SSD a full restart all the way back to the kiosk software being fully loaded (windows based)and customer ready is maybe 15 seconds. 10 seconds until I can remotely access it and another 5 for it for finish loading and syncing up. Kiosk software and windows and all related software is on the SSD, then hard drives for video storage.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I developed kiosk software (airline industry) some years ago back when OS/2 was all the rage (ok, maybe it was actually rage *at* OS/2, but I digress) - it took about 5 to 10 minutes to boot up fully then (app loaded, etc.) - that was 20 years ago though. Imagine what the landscape will be 20 years from now (or even 5 years if 20 is too much of a reach). Whatever operating system is prevalent then it will likely be in an eprom type (but faster) memory - virtually no boot time at all.

Until the next great leap, the SSDs are really a huge relief for those of us that can't stand waiting. On one box I have - an i3 w/ 8gb RAM - boots in about 10-15 seconds on win7 (I have to get my coffee ahead of boot time now :D).
@Razer & I have probably extolled the virtues of SSDs ad-nauseum at this point, but seriously - they are the best thing since sliced white bread. In Nike-eze, "Just Do It."

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p 2988 - Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz - 4 GB that i use for Blue Iris I was thinking of replacing the Hd with this SSD .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I checked spec for PC its a 6sata I could not tell what the ssd was . I think its a 3 . but not sure.

I am still Looking in to the Dell Xps 410 for a ssd i know is sata II . They was its compatible but researching on the bios. The dell Will just get a smaller cheap ssd its only used for netflix and DL's

Last edited:

solidstate

n3wb
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nice; thats about the same price as my very first SSD back in ~2005... 32GB SLC PATA JMicron, I was sooo happy to get it at ~$400 when they were flying off the shelves @ $1200 a pop..

the disk still works and is still being used in a tiny Database server for my websites/services... it does ~100MB/s which is incredible for PATA/IDE.

Every SLC SSD Ive bought still works even after massive torture; MLC SSD's well ive gone through at least a half dozen failed ones within a year or two of purchase.. probably more; I should keep stats for this stuff huh? I doubt I have any MLC SSD's older than say 5 years old still operational...

Guess what I am getting at here is dont forget to spend another $50 and get a 1TB Platter drive; set it up to auto-backup your SSD... :)