would you buy a refurbished harddrive?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No. Has a 90 day warranty. Why would you want that drive? There are much better options new at the same price or close to it.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are way better off getting the purple for your BI pc, its only 30 more is made for NVR's and has a full warranty.
The red is 122 on amazon, 22 is nothing compared to have to hassle with replacement and loosing all your recordings.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best upgrade I ever installed is Solid State Drives (SSD) - I have one in my BI pc - recording to it, etc., and also have an external eSATA 2Tb drive attached for offloading video before archiving.

I'm using Crucial SSDs - been using them for around 3-4 years now (purchased when the price was way higher :nuts: , but I've had use of them also, so it works out). It would be really difficult to go back to traditional 7200 RPM drives - I had to do a recovery a few months back to one and I could not believe how slow it was by comparison to an SSD.

On most stuff I think refurb is fine - the one exception is hard drives (or SSDs).

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 240g in my blue iris box ... plenty big for my needs. If you wanted to minimize cost then you could buy a 120g and use it as a boot drive (assuming win 7 ... not sure about win 8's storage reqmts), but these days you can pick up a 240+gb for around $100... best performance boost I've ever had.

Just make sure your system (bios, interface, etc.) can handle the ssd you're considering...all of the ssd's are sata, but I hve run across some laptops with bios,s that would not work properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 on using an ssd as a boot drive. The speed increase is incredible I have added ssd's to almost 20 pcs at the office. Even on BI machines, the ssd makes it so much more conformable to work on. For storage wd purple is ideal...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buying a Refurbished Hard Drive?

Never!

I don't even like to buy new hard drives, with so many DOA and failures under a year. On a basic drive I don't even worry about RMA any more because all they send you is a refurbished drive. Then you get a refurb failure month after you had the brand new one fail. Fun? Not! Brand new drive acting up, here's a refurb ... I don't think so. Just return through the retailer and get another new one.

Certain hardware I don't mind refurbished or open box, but used hard drives and refurbished ones, I consider they could fail yesterday.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All of the DVRs I build have SSDs at 120 or 128gb as the boot and OS/software drive. Then the video is stored on a normal HD. It's nice as all the wear and tear really is going on the normal HD, so if and when it fails I just have to replace it and not have any issues with the actual PC itself.

I've also moved my entire office over to SSDs completely and virtually everyone has 120-128gb and that's it. All laptops have been converted, and all the desktops were built by me and all had SSDs from the start. I have been using only Samsung SSDs and they have worked perfectly and not a single issue with any of them yet. I'd say I have 80+ SSDs installed now and am a firm believer in them.

I even upgraded my desktop at home after getting the taste of speed the SSD gives. The Samsung 840evo drives are a great deal usually, 250gb for $120-$130 is not bad at all!

For video storage internal I use WD Enterprise drives, external I use whatever is a good deal with USB3 or esata and have had no major issues yet.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what about the hybrid drive? Are they good or just get the ssd?

I bought a ssd for my work laptop a few months back but it was xp and I have been having issues with LT so i just installed it in another one with win7 and its like a new machine...

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
8/9/2014: Newegg: Kingston 240Gb for $94

[h=1]Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)[/h]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS080914&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS080914-_-EMC-080914-Index-_-SSD-_-20721108-L011A

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While the kingston is not bad, they have had issues in the past. I would go with brands that have a proven track record for reliability, intel, crucial and samsung.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats a nice drive.....these things are really coming down in price.