Worth upgrading to 1920 x 1080 from 1280 x 1024?

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm finally settling in with having switched from a generic Chinese system to a base HIK NVR and camera. And as happy I am with the quality of the image, is there more to be had from upgrading from a quality TV to a gaming monitor?

My next move is to add a second, higher rez camera. Hopefully, there is more image to be had without going crazy with the budget. As much as many of you need 'security' I want 'wallpaper' for parts of my property that I cannot see out the window. Security is a co-issue.

Jim

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finally settling in with having switched from a generic Chinese system to a base HIK NVR and camera. And as happy I am with the quality of the image, is there more to be had from upgrading from a quality TV to a gaming monitor?

My next move is to add a second, higher rez camera. Hopefully, there is more image to be had without going crazy with the budget. As much as many of you need 'security' I want 'wallpaper' for parts of my property that I cannot see out the window. Security is a co-issue.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Gaming monitors imho are a bit pricey for security camera viewing. The purpose of better monitors for those gaming often have to do faster refresh rates on the monitor, which we don't really need for most of our views. A good TV should work well enough.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, Mat. There was a 27" on CL for $125... But if it's really the refresh rate that is the primary gain, then maybe not. Cheers. Jim

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up a 32" 1080p TV off of craigslist for $60. It even included a Roku 2 that was a couple years old. The advantage of a TV is multiple HDMI inputs and a remote control. And don't forget VESA mounts so you can put it on a wall.

One thing I noticed on CL, people seem to think the TV/monitor they bought 8 years ago for $500 is still worth 300, even though the brand new replacement is better and cheaper. You can get a new 24" 1080p monitor for under $100. My Newegg ad from today shows they have a 24" monitor for $90, and a 27" for $140. And My Fry's ad has a Sharp 43" 4K smart TV for $250.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, Mat. There was a 27" on CL for $125... But if it's really the refresh rate that is the primary gain, then maybe not. Cheers. Jim
HI Wetstuff,

I'd watch for Black Friday specials coming up soon if you can wait.

Just make a list of what is important, imho 1080p+ - 4K would be better- especially if you plan to get a 4K camera.

Like what bguy has to point out... remember that monoprice has a lot of great mounts for monitors / tvs. Picked up a full range mount myself.