Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Love it. They can change the rules in the middle of the game, not get any input from the residents, not tell the residents about it either as a proposed change or that it is in effect, then come down on you like a ton of bricks because you "violated" the rules. Hmmmm, isn't that what the Marxocrat Party does? And this is in Texas!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Love it. They can change the rules in the middle of the game, not get any input from the residents, not tell the residents about it either as a proposed change or that it is in effect, then come down on you like a ton of bricks because you "violated" the rules. Hmmmm, isn't that what the Marxocrat Party does? And this is in Texas!
That is a HOA for ya!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
HOA's sound like a nightmare. I much prefer out system, do what you want so long as it doesn't require planning permission or violate covenants from when the hosue was built albeit most covenants go unenforced anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They can change the rules in the middle of the game, not get any input from the residents, not tell the residents about it either as a proposed change or that it is in effect
The only place I have been in an HOA is Texas. The home before this one had it in the covenants that they rules could not be changed without at least 75% of the homeowner's approval. This HOA states that the elected board can make changes. Their reasoning is that the board is elected by the homeowners to do run the HOA. Tomorrow night is a meeting and I am proposing that changes be put to a vote from now on. Doubt that this will go over well.

They did place an obscure note in the monthly newsletter that the rules had been revised but did not state what the revisions were. They stated to go to the website for more information. Like anyone does that. I found out about that when filling out the review committee form to get permission to replace my fence and saw the information for security cams.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They still require Voting in our HOA. They did send a vote a few years back for subdivision cameras at the entrance/exit streets but they had no proposal of who would monitor or manage them, I voted No...

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
They still require Voting in our HOA. They did send a vote a few years back for subdivision cameras at the entrance/exit streets but they had no proposal of who would monitor or manage them, I voted No...
Our neighborhood is quite large - over 850 homes. Every few years there is upswell of people that think that placing cameras at the entrances will solve all our crime problems (which is nearly non-existent anyways). With that many homes, 8 entrances to the community, and several roads that are "cut through" roads used by hundreds of non-residents everyday (and at all times of the day), I keep telling people that CCTV cameras would be a complete waste of money. They always compare our situation to another nearby neighborhood that has two entrances and maybe 150 homes. Funny how I've never heard of a single event being solved by their two cameras at each entrance (which are installed on the same pole, about 15' in the air looking down at a steep angle). In fact, I've long suspected their cameras are actually fake. I'd support fake cameras for our neighborhood, but not the real thing.

That's not to say it's wrong for every neighborhood, but ours is simply too big and porous to be effective.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose a licence plate reader combo might. If you had a time of day for a crime, the info might be able to be used to identify the car leaving and it's plate. I agree without details, there's too much to search through.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Measuring the resolution of Color-X cameras versus object distance.

I was planning to obtain one of these cameras when they became available in turret form to replace my front door camera. I decided that I should test my existing Color-X cameras (2.8, 2x3.6, and 2x6 mm) and my 81230 front door camera to see how they compare. First I calculated the focal length of each lens by measuring the size, in pixels, of the diagonals of a letter size paper for various distances.

Next, I printed out a test pattern, put the pattern at various distances in front of each camera and looked for the smallest pattern where I could resolve five bars. I tried to keep the pattern near the center of the image. The test pattern is reproduced in the corner of the following graphs. As printed, the bars, black or white, in the pattern labeled '4' measured 3 mm.

results:
CameraFocal length (mm)Measured VFOV (deg)Spec VFOV (deg)Best resolution @ distance
Color-X 2.8 mm BY5.4260.0611.06 mm @ 4.7 ft
Color-X 3.6 mm GB6.7150.0500.94 mm @ 5.2 ft
Color-X 3.6 mm GL6.8549.1501.19 mm @ 6.6 ft
Color-X 6 mm Avenue10.7232.6???2.38 mm @ 23ft
Color-X 6 mm Corner10.01 (noisier data)34.7???2.38 mm @ 19 ft
81230 FD13.6432.726-770.67 mm @ 6 ft

First, a few notes about the graphs. The horizontal axis is the distance from the camera to the test target, measured in feet. The vertical axis is the width of a bar in the smallest pattern where I could resolve all five bars. The left hand scale it the resolution in mm. The right hand scale is inches. for the individual camera plots I added a line showing the resolution of an ideal camera - the resolution equals one pixel at the sensor. this line depends only on the focal length of the lens and the size of each pixel.

Between the best resolution and large distances each camera came closer than I expected to ideal resolution. Also, there is much less difference in resolution between the 2.8 mm and 3.6 mm versions of the camera than I expected. Next, I would not use the 6 mm version unless the minimum object distance was around 20 feet or more. I am very surprised how different it is compared the other two focal lengths.

Finally, I will not be replacing my front door cameras with any of the Color-X cameras. They have much better low light vision and IVS, but the (very) old 81230 has better resolution at all distances and I can adjust the FOV.

Attachments

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got my 2.8mm 4k camera installed today. I didn't get it set 100% with fine tuning etc, but it's close enough for the moment. It was hot, humid and I had plenty of other honey do things to get to today. lol...

I have 2 of the 3.6mm already up and running, so this one gives me a different view of my driveway, etc... If, and when, a varifocal comes down the line, I'll most likely purchase 1, or perhaps more, of those. I just like the ability to dial in the FOV on a varifocal to where I want it exactly.

Need to dial in settings over the next few days or so and hopefully be good to go. At least until the mini-ptz shows up. Which should be this week, maybe? @EMPIRETECANDY lol

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Got my 2.8mm 4k camera installed today. I didn't get it set 100% with fine tuning etc, but it's close enough for the moment. It was hot, humid and I had plenty of other honey do things to get to today. lol...

I have 2 of the 3.6mm already up and running, so this one gives me a different view of my driveway, etc... If, and when, a varifocal comes down the line, I'll most likely purchase 1, or perhaps more, of those. I just like the ability to dial in the FOV on a varifocal to where I want it exactly.

Need to dial in settings over the next few days or so and hopefully be good to go. At least until the mini-ptz shows up. Which should be this week, maybe? @EMPIRETECANDY lol
Enjoy it @Timokreon !

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the firmware installed the best to use at the moment? 9-8-21? 2.840.15OG002.0.R?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll presume that this is the best firmware to have, as listed above.
I have not replaced firmware in any of ours and they seem to be doing well. Andy will usually post on the board here if he releases something new approved for their cameras if you bought it through him. Latest is not always best for IP cams unlike some other devices.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
does it work on Hikvision NVR ( DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S ?
Yes it does. I have that same camera of my Hikvision NVR which is the same as yours. You can get to the camera GUI on the Hikvision NVR through configurtation/camera management/IP camera/ and then click on "connect" on the last row.

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it does. I have that same camera of my Hikvision NVR which is the same as yours. You can get to the camera GUI on the Hikvision NVR through configurtation/camera management/IP camera/ and then click on "connect" on the last row.
Thank you for the quick reply!

Does all the features of the Hikvision NVR work perfectly with the camera, such as recording 4k and 265 or 265+ and stream in high quality 4K, motion detection (basic smart event,human car.. etc)
and other features according to your experience

And Connection Camera to NVR, is it plug and play, or does it need to modify the Subnet on the camera settings page?

I'm new to the security cameras , but I have a good background with networks, so I wanted to inquire.

I was wanted to buy a Hikvision DS-2CD2T87G2-L 2.8mm, but I could not find it in my country at all except with a 4mm lens and I want a 2.8mm, so I will buy a color4k-X camera from Ali Express instead because I did not find 2CD2T87G2-L 2.8mm at a suitable price on the Ali Express

Last question, according to your experience, is there a big difference between 4 mm and 2.8 mm in meters, how much is it approximately!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
All the features work perfectly. I use the Dahua Config Tool which is a free download to initially set up the camera. I have not tried plug and play with the Dahua cameras or the Hikvision cameras for that matter in a number of years. There is a difference between the 4mm and the 2.8mm in my Hikvision 4k cameras but it is not that big. I do not have a 2.8mm Dahua camera to compare to my 4mm Dahua camera. Here are a couple of pictures from my Hikvision cameras. Top picture is 2.8mm and the bottom picture is 4.0mm. These are both 4K cameras.

Camera 1F lady delivering pamphlet.jpg
LPR_IP Camera6_LPR_20220923104947_2986524.jpg