Working with the Timeline --- another NOOB query

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a simpler explanation of what the timeline represents? I know that there each "rectangle" is color-coded by camera. But I only have video of the few seconds of a trigger event, yet the colored rectangle spans a lot of "dead air" with no video recorded. In other words, why does the colored timeline not show gaps where recording did not occur?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It should be showing gaps....are you recording more than one camera with the same color and its overlaping?

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just have on camera on it now. I'm evaluating BlueIris (and am very favorably impressed!) so a very minimal system right now. I'll be adding additional cameras, however.

Anyway... Yes, it was showing gaps, but I could never figure out what the gaps were. Sometimes, if I hit the "now" button, it would pull up to present time and show a gap. Then, after recording an alert, it would continue to show the line through several alerts that had big gaps in the middle.

Now (perhaps) it may have fixed itself on that... I rebooted BI this afternoon, and the timeline seems to be behaving as I'd expect. If I can duplicate the problem, I'll be sure to let you know.

NVRDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is an example at maximum timeline resolution. The first screenshot shows the last frame of an event that occurred at 3:18:35 AM.
Advancing one frame shows the next event which occurs at 6:09:44 AM.
Even though nearly three hours have elapsed with no triggered events for this camera, the timeline is solid???

Attachments

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And my problem is back. I am currently showing two "blue bars" of about 2 1/2 and 1 3/4 hour duration, but within each bar there are clips totalling a few minures at most.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And my problem is back. I am currently showing two "blue bars" of about 2 1/2 and 1 3/4 hour duration, but within each bar there are clips totalling a few minures at most.
Have you emailed support?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let us know what he says...there is a new .23 update but dont know if it addresses that issue...

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: After contacting Support, I've found that I had the [Combine or cut each:] option checked. Just a noob mistake, I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with combine and cut set the timeline should show a gap...the combine and cut is strictly for the file blue iris creates..

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even with combine and cut set the timeline should show a gap...the combine and cut is strictly for the file blue iris creates..
I don't think it can because of the way BI creates the timeline. It is using the files to create it, not the Db, or the DB doesn't contain specific start/stop times when in cut and combine mode (it would be a pain to do so).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it can because of the way BI creates the timeline. It is using the files to create it, not the Db, or the DB doesn't contain specific start/stop times when in cut and combine mode (it would be a pain to do so).
This makes the timeline less effective...im sure he can figure out a way to make it work right...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is using the files to create the timeline then it would have to scan each file for it's start/stop times (normally only one start/stop time in a file), this would be a resource/time issue. If it is using the Db to create the timeline then it would need to be able to hold more than one start/stop time per file, this would require a table to be added to hold the start/stop times and associated with the files table.

Certainly possible and not too difficult, however, building the Db would take a considerable while longer (not a big deal to me - just mentioning it).