Wondering How To Connect

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I would like to do is have camera's around my farm. Prefer the one's that Pan/Tilt with night vision. I know that there are two kinds out there, POE and non-POE and I'm thinking about the POE, so that I don't have to run 1 wire for audio and 1 wire for video. I've always had a DVR, but this trip I'm thinking about NVRs as I've heard this is the way to go with the Pan/Tilt. So now comes the question:
#1: I have two buildings with about 50ft or so between them. My old system has 1 Cat5 wire running between both buildings that I use for my router that is in the barn which then is connected to my house underground. I know now we are up to CAT 8. In my house, I have this one wire connected to a powerline that runs to my living room to my router. So what would be the average way of setting up and what would be needed to get my IP camera to talk between my barn and house to 1 NVR which is in the house?
#2: I'm thinking about going with Amcrest. Good brand?
Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
A diagram might be a bit more clear. but I'll throw in my 1.5 cents.
I realize I only know a fraction of the stuff on the forum, But I do have some experience with 4 different DVR's and 1 NVR, and 2 Blue Iris computers.
I have 2 machines recording out in the garage. and a small business POE switch. a Amcrest DVR AMDV8M8-H5 and an Amcrest NVR4108E-HS to a
Cisco SG200-26P 26-Port switch.
All that feeds into the house on 1-Cat5e line. The Amcrest hybrid DVR connection negotiates a Gigabit connection with the switch. The Amcrest NVR does not light up the Gigabit Led on the Cisco. Thats when I learned it's capped below 100Mbps.

The Amcrest 4108 is capped on a bandwidth of 80Mbps.
When i get all 8 ports loaded up and try access the cam Gui's to make changes to settings, the pages load slower than molasses.
It didn't matter what switch i tried, the bottle neck is in the device itself.
When i fall back to 5 cams it loads pages faster.
I noticed however, that the old DVR web pages are quick and snappy.
And Cams directly connected to the Cisco are loading normally with my Blue iris setup.
My advice would be to seriously consider an NVR that is rated for 320 Mbps thru-put to not suffer the frustration I'm having.
Unless your only going to push 4 or 5 cams. But like our old freind @sebastiantombs always says, Camera's multiply like rabbits.

I've learned from NVR guru's in here that the NVR's work better when they're are ruuning about 60-70% of capacity on Cams.
i.e. and 8 port NVR from Amcrest will work good up to about 5-6 cams.
The 16 Port that Andy sells on the forum has a 320 Mbps thru-put, and wont give you lag on playback and loading web pages.

But the Amcrests do their job ok.... better than my Costco Nightowl DVR anyway.
If the Cat cable you have run now is Cat5e, it will handle the traffic of some cameras and an access point router or what have you in the barn(s).
You could power the cams with small 4-5 port Poe switches in either or both outbuildings and connect them to the 1 lines back to the house to use your existing line to handle the traffic.
I don't know if your Powerline adapters are 10/100 or what speed they are connecting at , but that might be slight bottleneck, but you'd have to set it all up and let er rip,,,,and see how it handles it. then make adjustments.
A few cams wont inundate the power line if it has a good connection speed.
But certainly if at some point you can make a Gigabit connection rather than Powerline thats preferable.
But sometimes its just too much bullshit.
the 4108 might not bottle neck if it's not sharing a line with DVR,,,so having only 1 device will tell that tale, but I'm not ready to pull those cams off line just yet.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
These are very similar products. I'm not exactly sure what NOT included on the less featured Amcrest, but the Ipcamtalk NVR is fully featured, no skimping on optional settings and capabilities.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I didn't give all the information that is needed to make a sound judgment and for that I'm sorry. I guess I should start with the cameras and you're right they do seem to be like rabbits. Okay, On each building (House and Barn) each will have the following cameras mounted on the four corners of the buildings: . Total 8 (4 on the house and 4 on the barn). In addition to this, I already have 3 IP cameras running which will be added to the mix as well. These cameras . Also, I plan to put (again the cameras mention in the first place) 3 more on the bar as well. So that we now have the cameras out of the way, how am I going to connect all these up to 1 NVR recorder that is in the house?
Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow looney2ns I can see you took my request to heart with all the reading I have to do. Well first off I must say "I thank you" for the info. Secondly, I have dealt with all those brands and so far the only two that are neck to neck in my mind is Amcrest and Lorex. I got Lorex first, great support, etc., but stuff was going out of this world as far as price. Then I tried all the other one's until I came across Amcrest. So basically I will be staying with Amcrest. Next year, I will only have $1,000.00 to spend on the whole entire project.
Well let me get to reading and I'll let you know what I've learn.
Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone know if has Lorex been a little more restrictive about allowing non Lorex Products to run on its NVR ports?

If you get the Ipcamtalk NVR you'll have more versatility with cam selection and functionality.