WizMind vs WizMind "S" ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Both actually, I've owned a number of older 5442s, still do, but the nighttime IR image on this one is pretty impressive. I need to find a good spot to demo the difference. Its gonna be about 2 weeks though

F1.2 vs F1.8 is noticeable

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you saying this from comparing the images, or from the specs? I ask because the 2231 has a better lux spec than the 5231, but I can't see a lick of difference between the images.

This is why I don't pay attention to the minimum illumination specs...because those are under ideal situations with so many factors not known.

Once upon a time manufacturers would at least say at what shutter speed that rating was based on. Most would say a 1/3 shutter. That is way to slow for anything.

But now they don't even provide that, so in most cases it is a wide open iris, slowest shutter the camera allows, and gain and brightness cranked to 100 so that they can get the lowest illumination number possible.

But nobody would run the camera in that configuration.

Some of the older cameras would give these kind of specs so you knew how the camera was setup to come up with the minimum illumination.

0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on)

So of course, the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

But as more competition came out, manufacturers started playing games and tweaking the settings for getting the lowest lux possible, but that came at a cost of a configuration nobody would use. So they wouldn't say how the camera was configured to capture that minimum illumination rating.

They play these marketing games to make it look like the camera is better than it is for someone that is just chasing minimum illumination numbers. Kind of like how we rarely get the miles per gallon a car is rated for.

A 1/3s shutter - really - that would be a motion ghost blur. Nobody would run the camera at that slow of a shutter.

The moon would like like a white sun - it would just be a big white circle in the air.

Real world example:

PTZ running auto shutter that slows down to let as much light in as possible. Yes that is the moon, not the sun LOL

1679244041459.png

Same PTZ just a few seconds later running a 1/2,000 shutter:

1679244186903.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of the new Wizmind S series bullets HFW5442H-ZHE with the Deeplight and AI SSA
IPC-HFW5442H-ZHE

1- Not sure whats under the hood but nighttime "Deeplight" IR image is pretty damn good, better than my older 5442's
0.0006 lux@F1.2 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0003 lux@F1.2 (B/W, 30 IRE)

New "regular" model 5442 HFW5442E-ZHE
IPC-HFW5442E-ZHE
0.0007 lux@F1.8 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0004 lux@F1.8 (B/W, 30 IRE)

2 - As far as AI SSA, so far I'm not a fan
When you turn it on A) you lose control of Exposure, Iris, Backlight, and DNR - AND B) it activates for both Day and Night schedule. You have no choice but to use it 24/7 near as I can tell. At least I havent seen how to restrict it to just daytime..

Obviously it tries to make a real pretty static picture, but well with no Exposure or DNR control, guess what you get?

AI-SSA ON
View attachment 160024

Manual 1/120, DNR 40
View attachment 160025
Yeah the 4K/T comes with AI SSA and it is basically another form of default settings that in theory will do better than simply selecting WDR or another backlight condition, but as you found out, every parameter we need to set to prevent motion blur is not available when using it. And in BI we see that even setting FPS and CBR in the camera, the AI SSA acts more like a reolink LOL and the FPS will drop and bitrate will as well. And that is why we see the blur you show on your example.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I am willing to buy one of the X series 8MP varifocals for a tryout. On paper it looks promising. Andy has some of the S series in stock.
Thank you very much to bigredfish and Parley for being our Guinea pig experiment with the new cameras. Looking forward to see what you guys find out later time.:)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are the two that I am looking at. I have 6 of the older 5442's that I would like to upgrade. I deactivated one of my NVR's when I upgraded the others with more 8MP capacity. However, with 5 or 6 more 8MP cameras possibly coming on line I might have to reactivate it. ;) :D :lol:

1. IPC-HFW7842H-Z-X (dahuasecurity.com)
2. IPC-HFW7842H-Z4-X (dahuasecurity.com)

Just for kicks here is the 12MP version. This "might" be a bridge to far. Any volunteers?

3. IPC-HFW71242H-Z-X (dahuasecurity.com)

And for a license plate camera I might buy one of these.

4. IPC-HFW7442H-Z4-X (dahuasecurity.com)

Last edited:

RaptorITA

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the new WizMind S IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-S3 have a CPU that is a lot more powerfull than the CPU on the now EOL WizMind 5 IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?

It would be nice, if the CPU allow it, to have some of the new AI features (like SMD 4.0 (when released), Deeplight, AI SSA, etc.) available also on the WizMind 5 IPC-HDW5442T-ZE with a firmware update.
@EMPIRETECANDY Any information about this?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Any information about this?
No chance.. Different platform (SOC with CPU&GPU&ISP&AI)...
A new SOC in WizMind-S have much more power & capabilities, I can support 4 different stream with different resolutions, SMD works with IVS, in AcuPick mode SMD works with IVS and simplified Video Metadata... WDR is much more natural (like HDR in modern iPhones).. there is AI codec (and old SmartCodec) which works with all AI modes.. in next firmwares there should enable SMD4.0 and Time-Division Exposure (different way to do HDR without WDR 'life on Mars' effect)..

It looks like they have a tons of power in a new SOC to spare on all features..

Older 5542 have very limited power.. Especially first generation of 5542..
Also Dahua never backported a new features from new platforms to old products...

First gen of 5442 is EOL, actual models from second gen will stay on market for some time and then they will be EOL - finally all Pro line will be WizMind-S...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First gen of 5442 is EOL, actual models from second gen will stay on market for some time and then they will be EOL - finally all Pro line will be WizMind-S...
Correction - second gen (S2) of 5442 is gone from Dahua website.
In WizMind (not WizMind-S) in 5 series there are only Full Colors (F1.0) models..
In WIzMind other (not 5) series are only "speciality" cameras - so Dahua went with all 5?42 to WizMind-S in 100%..

There are some stock of 5?42-S2 in EU - but they will last for max a few months..

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone tried the 3rd gen yet?

Interested to see if with such low numbers they can rival the 4kt in full colour and what the DOF is on them compared to the lesser model.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you thinking the #4 for LPR because of the better zoom and lower LUX? I think I'll order one of those #3/4 to fool around with for one of my properties for a similar application. I really like the larger sensor in these.
Let me just say that for now I am staying with the 5442E-Z4E's.

lukeeper

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to find Dahua's names of newest 5442 2.8 and moto zoom cameras. Can someone post a link? What I found is this and this 2.8 chart but after checking and comparing parameters with cameras on the market - I'm confused. Are full names of newest camera are:
IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-2712-S3
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE-0280B-S3 ?

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to find official names of newest 5442 2.8 and moto zoom cameras. Can someone post a link? What I found is this and this 2.8 but ZE version sold by EmpireTech has exactly same parameters which makes me think that it's not Wizmind S specifications chart. Are full names of newest camera are:
IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-2712-S3
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE-0280B-S3 ?
There is big mess in naming of newest WizMind-S cameras..
They should have S3 postfix and in specification they should have: AI SSA, video metadata function and four (not three) video streams..

In Andy shop You can find only turret models of WizMind-S:

You can order other WizMind-S models by DM with Andy..
The rest of WizMind-S line will be added shortly to the shop..

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have a comparison of the new models and the color4k series?

I'm curious of the (day time / night time) comparison of these models

• HDW5442T-ZE-S3
  • HFW5442H-ZHE-S3
and
  • HDW5442-ASE-S3
  • HFW5849T1-ASE-LED and HDW5849H-ASE-LED
I've narrowed my choices down between these cams. So I have a few questions
  1. Would a HDW5442T-ZE-S3 be an accurate representation of the fixed lens HDW5442-ASE-S3
    1. 5542 fixed lens has larger aperture (1.6 vs 1.8). I was also told that the more you zoom in, the smaller the aperture gets as well? So 6mm 5442-S3 will have a brighter picture at night compared to the 5442T-ZE-S3?'
    2. I was thinking of purchasing 1 HDW5442T-ZE-S3 to see which lens sizes I need for all locations and then purchasing the fixed variants for the remainder.
  2. Is there a reason to go with the Bullet 4k (HFW5849T1-ASE-LED) or the Turret 4k (HDW5849H-ASE-LED) in certain scenarios?
  3. In what scenarios should I choose a 5442 over the 4k color?
    1. From what I gather, they perform better in low light if I'm correct. Is there any other scenarios?
Please let me know if I should move this question to its own thread.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The "Z" designates it as Variable focus. So it has an adjustable focus from 2.8-12mm
Fixed lens of the same model/series will always have a slightly brighter image than a varifocal due to the FStop value you mentioned.
Yes good way to go is get the VF and decide on what you need in fixed lens
IMHO bullets tend to have better depth of field, and they typically have more and therefore stronger IR

The 4K-T and 4K-X are great low light cameras, better light pickup than the 5442, BUT they tend to have very tight focal distances and long close focus distances. Unless you have a spot that is just right, theyre better off as overview cams vs tight shot ID cams. Lots of threads on that with greater detail. I have both. The 3.6mm 4Ks seem to have the fewest issues with focus distances

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
The 3.6mm 4Ks seem to have the fewest issues with focus distances
Andy recommended the turrets for their lowlights performance for the 4k. However the depth of field on the 3.6mm bullet has by far the best depth of field. So thats a decision I have to make. I attached an image of where it will be going. There is quite a bit of light

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No difference in low light performance between the turret T and bullet X. Same sensor.
But as I mentioned and you picked up on, the 3.6 bullet from what Ive seen has the better depth of field.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There is big mess in naming of newest WizMind-S cameras..
I don't know why they don't KISS and simply go with 5442-4ZE Mk2, Mk3 etc. They can tack whatever names they want onto it beyond that, but the Mk "number" part easily determines the generation.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know why they don't KISS and simply go with 5442-4ZE Mk2, Mk3 etc. They can tack whatever names they want onto it beyond that, but the Mk "number" part easily determines the generation.
They did that... there are S2, S3 series suffixes.
In lower models (2xxx) even S5 series...

In Europe from a few years there is another suffix with lens range and color.. 0280B means 2.8mm black... 2712 means white (default) varifocal 2.7 to 12mm...

In local distributos/shops we see something like this: IPC-HFW5442E-ZE-2712-S3

But I don't known is that in rest of World...