Wireless Point-To-Point Solution for 1300 Feet+

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just be aware the cheap Loco5AC model does not come with a PoE injector so that would need to be purchased separately,
...and were a PITA to set up when compared to earlier NS's and Loco's, at least for me. But a link I installed April of '22 has been rock steady according to the customer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
...and were a PITA to set up when compared to earlier NS's and Loco's, at least for me. But a link I installed April of '22 has been rock steady according to the customer.
Why is that? Just learning the updated interface? I have used plenty of airMAX AC gear and I find it to be just as good as older models, with the benefit of being able to do up to around 300 Mbps instead of just 100 Mbps.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why is that? Just learning the updated interface? I have used plenty of airMAX AC gear and I find it to be just as good as older models, with the benefit of being able to do up to around 300 Mbps instead of just 100 Mbps.
I never said it wasn't as good as the older ones and even recommended them here.

No doubt it's just as good and I am happy when the results it's just that when you've done 50-60 or so since 2012 on one airOS and you hit 74 years of age, changes sink in a little slower, at least for me.:cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh I understand. I use the UISP management software too (I still call it UNMS which was its old name). Seems like every time I update it, the UI has drastically changed and the info I want is buried a little deeper than before.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running a nanonstation loco m2 2.5ghz about 1200 feet through trees and get between 12 and 40 mbs.
I tried the 5ghz but it had too many dropouts.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running a nanonstation loco m2 2.5ghz about 1200 feet through trees and get between 12 and 40 mbs.
I tried the 5ghz but it had too many dropouts.
Yes, 2.4 can push thru some foilage better than 5GHz and 900MHz was even better, as the lower the freq, the stronger it generally is....but 900's are now defunct. :confused:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
For short range and especially if you use wide angle antennas, it shouldn't be a problem.

For example... my dad has a barn on his property about 530 feet away from his house. Has a NanoStation M5 loco on the house, LiteBeam 5AC on the barn but mounted really loosely so the wind blew on it and pushed it way out of alignment (like 20 degrees horizontal and vertical error) and the link still worked fine.

View attachment 177948View attachment 177949

Note that today you should generally be buying "AC" models for 802.11ac speeds, not "M5" models which only support up to 802.11n speeds. NanoStation style is a much wider angle and still good for several kilometers of range. Just be aware the cheap Loco5AC model does not come with a PoE injector so that would need to be purchased separately, and most airMAX radios require 24 volt passive PoE (not 802.3af standard PoE which is 48 volts).
That's not bad at all. I have an excellent connection (-60db) between my M5 and the other antenna 700m away. It's my primary internet connection but a 20 degree deviation would kill that connection.