Wireless Point-To-Point Solution for 1300 Feet+

Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to come up with a solution for this problem. I imagine it will need some kind of wireless solution as running fiber is not really an option.

I have NO experience doing this, so I am asking my friends here for their learned opinions.

Need to have several IPcam feeds sent back to a Hikvision NVR. The distance is 1300 feet, more or less. There are some trees in the way, but if this is a problem, we could maybe pull some down or put-up poles to shoot over the trees. There is AC power in both locations. Obviously, they would be out in the elements here in Houston temperatures and rain.

I have seen some folks here recommend Ubiquiti nano, but I really need the exact models and a little info on how these get set up.

Thanks

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use both the NanoStation AC LOCO NS 5acl and the Ubiquiti Networks LBE-M5-23 LiteBeam M5 units (but not together) and 1300 ft would be no problem if you can get clear line of site. I have had them working with some trees in the way. One operation where trees are blocking the signal, I have uses 3 units to form a multi point system.. I placed 1 as a station at the house, another setup as an access point at a barn and then the third unit as an station at my neighbors house to share my internet with them. On my home BI system, I have 5 cameras at the barn about 300 yds from the house, connected to a POE switch.
When shopping for any of the Ubiquiti units, make sure they come with the needed 24v passive POE injector or factor in the price of buying them separatly.
Setup is not difficult but they need to be configured on the bench before installing them in the field.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others above have stated, Ubiquiti is, IMO, the way to go.

If there is Line Of Sight (LOS) between the 2 points to be spanned I'd go with a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

I've installed over a dozen of them in the last several years and all are still working great but the Nanostations and Loco's of both 2.4 and 5GHz flavor have been hard to get or VERY expensive this past year or so. About the only one in stock right now is this one for $60, quite overkill for your distance but you can dial back the transmit power==>> Ubiquiti airMAX LiteBeam Gen 2 5AC 5GHz 23dBi CPE US

I hesitate to recommend a pair of the TP-LINK CPE210 radios even though I put one in 2 weeks ago on 1/28/23 and it's working great BUT....all my Ubiquiti installs have been running with no hiccups for over 8 years now...time will tell about the TP-LINK wireless bridge. I was between a rock and a hard place so I had to go with it.

If set up correctly the Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract or conduct ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.

Here's the schema I've used the last several years. The above Litebeams are different as far as configuration terms but the instructions above to the Ubiquiti airMAX Guide will make that distinction between "AC" devices (like the Litebeam above) and "M" devices (the type in my image below) when configuring.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 to what was said above. I use two Nanobeams at a location to cover about 100' of distance. 1300' is no sweat for those things as well so long as you have line of sight. Tree branches will kill the signal at that distance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold , I forgot to mention surge protection for those radios, especially in the SE and TX, Below is a copy/paste from my reply regarding surge protection for an outdoor camera on a pole located away from the house. Essentially, just substitute a radio in place of the camera in the bottom drawing.

If the radio is on the side of the house, use one ETH-SP below the radio, tied to a driven ground rod. I would use shielded between the radio and the ETH-SP but would NOT use shielded going into the house and plugged into my LAN.

I recommend the Ubiquiti ETH-SP.
  • Install one at base of the pole where a camera is installed and one outside where the cable from that camera enters the building.
  • I drive 2 ground rods, one at the base of the camera pole and one at the house entrance.
  • At the pole, tie the ground strap on the ETH-SP to the pole and to the ground rod
  • At the house tie the ground strap on the ETH-SP to the ground rod.
  • Use STP (shielded) cable on all runs EXCEPT where going from the ETH-SP into the building to your LAN.
Unlike the picture below from Ubiquiti, I do not use a shielded (STP) cable from the ETH-SP into the house; I drew a red X on their image where shielded cable is depicted by the blue shield with a lightning bolt; I do NOT want to tie 2 exterior ground rods via a CAT-5 shield to a grounded POE injector or switch housing that is tied to the grounding pin on the power plug. That would tie those 2 rods to my house ground and possibly create ground loop type problems. The camera on my post is powered via POE and the intent of the grounding system on MY system is to A) protect my OUTDOOR camera by diverting ESD from nearby lighting strikes to the earth and B) protect my INDOOR network devices by diverting ESD from nearby lighting strikes to the earth and NOT provide a possible pathway via the shield into my house should the ESD not be sent to earth adequately.

Ubiquiti_ESD_Protection_no-STP-to-LAN.jpg

Below is an image of the system I've had in place for a bluebird box on a T-pole with a camera on it for 3 years this coming spring. All the CAT-5e is shielded EXCEPT the one going from the ETH-SP at the house going inside to my POE injector. Note the legend at the bottom left of the image.

birdcam_shield.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I spent a few hours with the guy that has been charged with having some cams installed at the shooting ranges that I am an RSO with. We have two locations and the one that you great folks gave me input on is on hold right now pending getting electricity to that far area.

But now I need your expert opinions again. This second location has a history of flooding. Durning Harvey it was under 19 feet of water. So they are looking at putting the cams on 20 foot poles. We discussed several scenarios. But the one I need your input is for this:

Cams at the entry gate will need to have their video connection sent via Ubiquity radios to a point about 1100 feet away. Since flooding here happens once or twice a year, they want the radios on top of those 20-foot poles. My question is will the 20-foot-high poles sway too much for the connection to be stable? He is thinking wooden 4x4 posts, but I am trying to push him towards steel posts anchored in concreate like the pick below.

So what do you guys say? @Broachoski @TonyR @biggen @00Buck @Flintstone61 Will the sway be too much for the connection to be stable?

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
No they will not......My use case was approx 1 football field( 300-325 ft.) Even after my Parking lot light pole rotted and fell 1/2 way over, with a Ubiquiti 2.4 GHZ nano and 2 cams mounted on it....I never lost the link.....also had a very minor line of sight branch on a small tree which grew quite a bit the last 3 years which also did not break the link. I trying to find the pics or videos of the angle....but they were and least 30 or 40 degrees off kilter....and still was broadcasting the cams....
found it....

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having trouble recalling if the Nano was on the pole or on the vertical gutter. After the pole fell I believe it was moved to vertical gutter, with more tree blockage yet still fine.....
I'm sure Tropical storm force winds could throw debris around and make it have small drop outs....but I haven't tested for that :)

Oh Now i remember the 5442 was screwed to the bottom of the big Bank style Turret cam housing, and the Nano was on the telephone pole.....so yes it was truly broadcasting on a severe angle.....
1700121076779.png

1700122799158.png

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will the sway be too much for the connection to be stable?
I don't think so.
The beam angle of both radios at 1,100 feet is fairly broad and should allow them to stay linked even with some deviation caused by any sway, even at both ends.
Both ends should be erected at the same elevation.

Consider using Ubiquiti's UISP Design Center. You can draft your PtP link, select elevations, radios, etc.

Last edited:

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As others above have stated, Ubiquiti is, IMO, the way to go.

If there is Line Of Sight (LOS) between the 2 points to be spanned I'd go with a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

I've installed over a dozen of them in the last several years and all are still working great but the Nanostations and Loco's of both 2.4 and 5GHz flavor have been hard to get or VERY expensive this past year or so. About the only one in stock right now is this one for $60, quite overkill for your distance but you can dial back the transmit power==>> Ubiquiti airMAX LiteBeam Gen 2 5AC 5GHz 23dBi CPE US

I hesitate to recommend a pair of the TP-LINK CPE210 radios even though I put one in 2 weeks ago on 1/28/23 and it's working great BUT....all my Ubiquiti installs have been running with no hiccups for over 8 years now...time will tell about the TP-LINK wireless bridge. I was between a rock and a hard place so I had to go with it.

If set up correctly the Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract or conduct ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.

Here's the schema I've used the last several years. The above Litebeams are different as far as configuration terms but the instructions above to the Ubiquiti airMAX Guide will make that distinction between "AC" devices (like the Litebeam above) and "M" devices (the type in my image below) when configuring.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg
Hi @TonyR , how did the CPE210 hold up in the long run? I am thinking of trying out a pair of these

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My CPE210s have worked pretty well over the last few years of use. The one at the remote end has gone down maybe 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason. Not sure of the cause. Not responsive to pings and required a quick repower to bring it back up. Other than that I've not had any issues with them. Pretty much plug them in and let them run for the most part. Performance running 3 cams and a few incidental devices over that link has been fine. Happy enough with them for what they cost.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My question is will the 20-foot-high poles sway too much for the connection to be stable?
For short range and especially if you use wide angle antennas, it shouldn't be a problem.

For example... my dad has a barn on his property about 530 feet away from his house. Has a NanoStation M5 loco on the house, LiteBeam 5AC on the barn but mounted really loosely so the wind blew on it and pushed it way out of alignment (like 20 degrees horizontal and vertical error) and the link still worked fine.

1700151324918.png1700151339514.png

Note that today you should generally be buying "AC" models for 802.11ac speeds, not "M5" models which only support up to 802.11n speeds. NanoStation style is a much wider angle and still good for several kilometers of range. Just be aware the cheap Loco5AC model does not come with a PoE injector so that would need to be purchased separately, and most airMAX radios require 24 volt passive PoE (not 802.3af standard PoE which is 48 volts).