Wireless alarm i/o

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm trying to setup an audible alert in a room separate from my NVR. Id like to trigger the alarm from the NVR i/o and send the signal wirelessly to some sort of small alarm in another room that I can set to go off for a specified amount of time.
Maybe Shelly relays? Maybe something else?
Anyone have ideas on how to execute this with some degree of elegance?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  • Easiest would be connecting something to the relay output of your NVR and that device wirelessly triggers a bell/speaker. Maybe a wireless door bell, solder wires where the button goes and connect it to your NVR/Camera's relay output.
  • Getting more fancy could be an old cell phone and the camera's app notification sound.
  • Really fancy could be Home Assistant integration and Home Assistant triggers something.
  • Some cameras (E.g. Milesight) have an option to make an API call when an event is triggered.

This is an example of setting an HTTP GET or POST within the event config of a Milesight camera. Shelley relays support an HTTP GET command to turn on their outputs.
1714351531473.png

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm yeah something like that. I think I can manage the alarm end if I can figure out what to use to receive the alarm and send a wireless signal. The Shelly 1 relay has that capability?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm yeah something like that. I think I can manage the alarm end if I can figure out what to use to receive the alarm and send a wireless signal. The Shelly 1 relay has that capability?
Maybe this will help. It's using two Shelly 1's (UL-listed version) for output from NVR to wirelessly operate a 12VDC siren.

In the bottom 2 images, Shelly #1's input, the push button, would be the NVR's alarm output. You may need to make changes to accommodate the NVR's output specs. For Shelly #2 it helps that the Shelly 1's output is a "dry" relay.:cool:

Shelly1_1-1_wiring.jpg Shelly1_1-2_wiring.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting. The schematics are a tad confusing but I don't understand that device very well. Sounds like I need to get a couple in my hands and figure em out. Thanks!

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The bridge and serial port mostly. Unsure what those are referring to. I assume the firmware will determine how the device functions and I'll just have to tinker with that once they arrive.
I have a Shelly 3 mini so I'm somewhat familiar with their devices but I don't recall it having a serial port and I'm not motivated enough to go pull it out of the wall to look.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bridge and serial port mostly. Unsure what those are referring to. I assume the firmware will determine how the device functions and I'll just have to tinker with that once they arrive.
I have a Shelly 3 mini so I'm somewhat familiar with their devices but I don't recall it having a serial port and I'm not motivated enough to go pull it out of the wall to look.
You won't use the serial port on any of the Shelly devices.
The bridge as shown is when 12VDC is being used and is explained in the enclosed info when you purchase a Shelly 1.

Did you read my post #4? It contained a link to a post that explains in detail how to work with the Shelly 1; there's a PDF attachment toward the end.

Here's that again:

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Work has been a bit too busy to dive into the details yet. That makes sense. Thanks y'all! I'll let ya know when I get things running :)

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  • Easiest would be connecting something to the relay output of your NVR and that device wirelessly triggers a bell/speaker. Maybe a wireless door bell, solder wires where the button goes and connect it to your NVR/Camera's relay output.
  • Getting more fancy could be an old cell phone and the camera's app notification sound.
  • Really fancy could be Home Assistant integration and Home Assistant triggers something.
  • Some cameras (E.g. Milesight) have an option to make an API call when an event is triggered.

This is an example of setting an HTTP GET or POST within the event config of a Milesight camera. Shelley relays support an HTTP GET command to turn on their outputs.
View attachment 193507
New Dahua GUI can do this from NVR or IPC, so a camera like the tioc could act as your sounder. A expensive sounder but would tie in nicely and easily

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
New Dahua GUI can do this from NVR or IPC, so a camera like the tioc could act as your sounder. A expensive sounder but would tie in nicely and easily
@MC1987 have a read of this thread's first sentance:
I'm trying to setup an audible alert in a room separate from my NVR.
I have a suspicion that the person does not want a TiOC disco light show next to their bed or office as an alarm for motion outside LOL.