Windows Admin Credentials Not accepted to run as service

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Attempted to enable Run As Service but BI does not recognize credentials for local admin account. Any suggestions?

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen this. If you've changed your Microsoft account password after the PC was already set up, you need to use the old password not the new one.

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen this. If you've changed your Microsoft account password after the PC was already set up, you need to use the old password not the new one.
Thanks for the reply. This was a clean install of Win 11 Pro. The admin PW has not changed. If that is the way BI works, it seems a little screwy to me. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 173942-BlueIrisWinAdminFail.png

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used the same Admin username and password for both BI user and local user account without a problem. But if you're looking to keep the password as BLANK, the Help files describe an override when you can't login.

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Copy. However, my local admin account requires user name and PW. I prefer it that way. Where is BI looking to verify credentials?

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the local admin account what you use to log into Windows?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As above the account needs to be a local admin account and not a cloud MS account.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The other thing it could be as I’m sure I’ve read that somebody else had this issue is the characters you use in the password. Can’t quite call but it might be worth resetting the password to remove any special chars to see if that changes the behaviour?

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is an interesting thought. I do use special characters in my PW for Windows and it works fine logging into windows. But, as I understand it, all BI should be doing is authenticating the credentials. They are what they are. It just seems that BI is not able to look in the right place or have the right process to authenticate. I just got a response from BI support. It basicly said create another admin account which just does not sound right. I responded and I am waiting for a response. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for kicks I created a new local admin account. Unchecked the "Run as a Windows service" box in BI, restarted, Checked the box again and entered the new credentials which were accepted without a problem.

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm... Thanks for taking that step. I might have to try that. Did your new PW have special characters? I would have to break my system of setting up accounts in each of my 3 machines the same. Same credentials for each. Makes admin easier as my setup is not to remember the last user and require Cntl.Alt-Del to get the login screen. Might be a last resort. Thanks again.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try using "Administrator" instead of "Admin" as user. That is how mine is setup.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I use a name for mine. Not Admin or Administrator. I always disable the default admin account.
You could try doing blank user and just put in the pass. I think it was blank if you want localsystem

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what PW I would use?I might give it a try to see if it works. Not something I would want to run with in the long term.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what PW I would use?I might give it a try to see if it works. Not something I would want to run with in the long term.
didn't you say you have a windows user and not the default admin and a password to log into your windows account? Try leaving the user part blank and use the windows login pass to turn on run as services to see if it works

cjamt

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope. No joy. This time, instead of "(1326)" at the end of the error dialogue it is now "(87)". Thanks for trying.