Windows 11 starting to appear on the horizon

Reaction score
Some people are snobs about brands (ever watched a Nike new product launch? :oops: ) Window users hate Macs & Linux, Mac users can't figure out why anyone would ever use Windoze.

I had an older i7-3770 machine that BI was running on under Windows 10 and it developed issues - shutting down ever 2-15 hours, just locking up. I couldn't fix it, so I got another machine. Curious, I installed Linux Mint in a dual boot configuration on it, and now that is my daily driver, and has only shut down once! Looks a lot like Windows, and just works. Install was painless, online searches for any issues provide amazing results. In the past couple of weeks, I have found that it just works. I RDP to the BI box now from Linux.

So, if you get BI running under Wine or a VM, let me know, I would be interested!!
I was thinking about trying it soon. Only problem is that I already packed my IP cameras! lol, I might dig them out, since most of what's going on now is an annoying wait on documents and such for us moving to a new house. I had bought a few cameras and a Power over Ethernet switch for them. At the time, I was planning on using Windows, but some changes at work necessitated me bringing up a Linux host and running VMs on it as I was self-educating on Ansible/oVirt and didn't want to perform some of the actions on the corporate network at all. It was also a lot easier load/re-loading up VMs on my local network as opposed to over the VPN on remote hosts.

And I'm not an OS snob at all. Windows is a great OS for the many purposes, but so is Mac and Linux. I don't try to game on Linux, it's just a hassle. But in my specific situation, the Linux machine would be much better suited for this task. I have a ton of RAM in it to run VMs. So maybe I'll see if I can dig out those cams and endure the wife going.. "WTF??" and see if I can get it working while I have 'time to burn'. Once we get moving, time will be in short supply! lol

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Took a good 45 minutes or more to create the .iso. Lots of pauses in certain phases of acquiring an update or writing the .wim.
I dont know which machine to bastardize with my newly created .ISO. Lemme finish cleaning the Garage before i get thrown out…i dont have secure boot 2.0 or whatever it is…so this could be a rainy day project fiddling around with these 4 old boxes.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
im getting a boot window that is looking for a media driver or HDD driver or something. After the Select Language screen. Went to Dell and got all the drivers for this optiplex, and extracted them onto the usb stick. No joy. oh well.....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is Internet Explorer included in Windows 11 or did MS remove it.
We probably won't know until the official release of Windows 11. I was able to search for internet explorer, but it referred me to a link to IE 11. I was able to download it. waiting on the reboot. ( Note to Self-Buy more SSD'S!) gawd this drive is slow. But ah yes....the IE tab is still available as a browser extension. So all is not lost.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird. It let me download it. and required a reboot to finish the install. then I had to surf to Program Files and double click the IE icon. which opened a browser. I went to "About" and it said I was in Edge. So I'm not sure, but it seems as though it's not letting me use it. upon first look anyway.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't worry, we got time.
Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023.
Microsoft is ending support for Windows 10 on October 14th, 2025.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Been using Windows 11 Insider since the day it was released to the public, have not really noticed any outstanding differences thus far apart from a few GUI changes here and there. No crashes either. Its "basically" Windows 10 with a whole new skin applied on top of it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I dabbled with Linux way back when and didn't like it much. I'm really getting too old to learn a new OS so I'll stick with Win10 until BI stops working in it.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do I know if my computer has a TPM 2 module or whatever it is?
I just downloaded and ran this compatibility checker test and says my Core i-7 6700, (6th gen?) may be incompatible with Win11. o_O
Windows says ditching support for 6th and 7th gen CPUs. So I guess I'll be sticking with Win 10 for as long as it is supported as the machine works fine for BI and the office.
I'm sure they will manufacture some ugly scary malware\virus threat though in the near future which can only be prevented by upgrading. :eek:

1629147187687.png