Windows 11 starting to appear on the horizon

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm an on-off Windows Insider so may be offered to run W11 before it's goes full time, on a PC that I don't use for BI.
I'd be interested to read of folks views of W11, and additionaly any likely issue for BI or anything else relevant.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a site I used a while ago and bought a windows 10 key for like $20.00 I think. When I see a deal like that pop up I might do it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Given that none of my machines are "eligible" for WIN11, I won't be installing it until and unless I have to upgrade them.
So I have a TPM Module on it's way, well now they are saying August, date keeps moving :), I have one PC that meets the WIN11 specs (with ordered module), will probably try it on that one, I am like you, all my others don't. Supposedly there are work arounds. I am waiting on 12th Gen Intel Procs to come out to build my new PC which will probably run WIN11 on it.

1627237108985.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An excerpt below from Can I run Windows 11 without a Microsoft account?

"Setting up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account
When you go through the first-time setup process, you have to create your first account, connect to Wi-Fi, and so on. Generally, the process is the same for all Windows editions, but in Windows 11 Home, there are some things that are different.​
According to Microsoft, you need both an internet connection and a Microsoft account to set up Windows 11 Home. In Windows 10, Microsoft already started requiring a Microsoft account for the Home edition, but you could work around it by not connecting to the internet. Here, it’s a similar situation, and you can trick Windows 11 into letting you use a local account.​
When setting up your PC for the first time, you’ll have to connect to the internet, which then allows you to sign with your Microsoft account. If you don’t have an internet connection, you won’t be able to progress.​
However, you can connect to the internet and let the computer check for updates. When you get to the license agreement, press the airplane mode button on your laptop or disconnect the Ethernet cable – whatever turns off the internet completely for you. If you do this, you’ll be able to set up a local account instead of a Microsoft one.​
If you have Windows 11 Pro or other editions, this is all a bit easier. You can set up your computer without an internet connection, and even if you use the internet, you get the option to skip the Microsoft account. Windows will insist you use it, but you can safely ignore it.​
Switching to a local account
Even if you set up your computer with a Microsoft account initially, you can still switch to a local account whenever you want. You’re not actually forced to use your Microsoft account for as long as you have your PC. To do this, open the Settings app, then go to the Accounts section. Click Your info, then choose Sign in with a local account instead."​

:) :headbang:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Makes me curious if anybody here has tried to run BI under linux+wine?
I read somewhere that it didn't work so well. I know others on here have Windows running in a Virtual Machine (VM) under some form of Linux, I believe. I have one machine dual booting Windows/Linux and am planning on trying it and see how the performance is. I don't have really high powered machines, so it will be interesting to see. I'm still a month or more out from getting it done though.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 copies running on hyper-v. One server 16, one is server 19.
No problems at all.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Why would someone install it ?

If windows7 would still get updates, i would use it. even windows xp, if there where any good 64bit support.

Windows 10 is annoying, because its windows 8 and 7 in one. You have all good old setting options from windows 7, but you have also all new shitty "control-panel" windows 8 features. sure the usability for most people is better with windows 10, because you have only a limited settings menu like on mac OSX.

but for everything beyond you need old setting options... and you have to click around now to find something in windows 10, because you will be always lost in double features.

windows 11 will be even worse ! its just a complete copy from macosx. they even copy their button-taskbar-style

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why would someone install it ?

If windows7 would still get updates, i would use it. even windows xp, if there where any good 64bit support.

Windows 10 is annoying, because its windows 8 and 7 in one. You have all good old setting options from windows 7, but you have also all new shitty "control-panel" windows 8 features. sure the usability for most people is better with windows 10, because you have only a limited settings menu like on mac OSX.

but for everything beyond you need old setting options... and you have to click around now to find something in windows 10, because you will be always lost in double features.

windows 11 will be even worse ! its just a complete copy from macosx. they even copy their button-taskbar-style
Good question. I have two BI installs. A 10 year old AMD something (whatever a 3rd gen i7 equivalent would be) running Windows 8 and BI. Works fine. I can't/won't upgrade because it is on a satellite internet. It works, why change? Being on satellite it is not likely to get attacked, unless I click a nefarious link. Heck, my "newest", main home machine is an i7-6700 refurb which I bought a couple of weeks ago. It won't be eligible for an upgrade, but has more than enough power to do what I want, and way more. Why should I replace either machine?

I guess one good thing about Windows 11 is the price of older, used/refurbished, but very capable machines will go down as they won't be able to run 11.

Reaction score
Makes me curious if anybody here has tried to run BI under linux+wine?
Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. I really like Blue Iris and I don't have anything against Windows specifically but at the same time, professionally I work with Linux and am more familiar with it in many ways. Plus I have a development environment setup under Linux along with a DLNA server that works fantastically and some other similar stuff. Most of my CPU power is on my Windows machine, but I'm also a gamer and see no need to put all the weight on one system when I have another that I could dedicate for the purpose. I can't really just re-load the second machine with Windows because I need the 'lab' environment for career growth as well. I have one other old, weak PC - but it's not really good material for anything that requires a lot of I/O or Processing power.

I have been looking through the forums and seen more than one post talking about 'Linux snobs' and other condescending attitudes about the OS, but some people fail to stop and think for 5 seconds that some people are actually more comfortable with the OS. Sure, Windows is decently stable right now, but one situation doesn't fit all for everyone either.

I'm already planning on paying for a monitored system, but I want to augment that with cameras that are completely under my control as well. So I'm more than cool with paying for a system that meets my needs. It's just that my needs differ from the typical computer user I suppose.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I have been looking through the forums and seen more than one post talking about 'Linux snobs' and other condescending attitudes about the OS, but some people fail to stop and think for 5 seconds that some people are actually more comfortable with the OS. Sure, Windows is decently stable right now, but one situation doesn't fit all for everyone either.
Some people are snobs about brands (ever watched a Nike new product launch? :oops: ) Window users hate Macs & Linux, Mac users can't figure out why anyone would ever use Windoze.

I had an older i7-3770 machine that BI was running on under Windows 10 and it developed issues - shutting down ever 2-15 hours, just locking up. I couldn't fix it, so I got another machine. Curious, I installed Linux Mint in a dual boot configuration on it, and now that is my daily driver, and has only shut down once! Looks a lot like Windows, and just works. Install was painless, online searches for any issues provide amazing results. In the past couple of weeks, I have found that it just works. I RDP to the BI box now from Linux.

So, if you get BI running under Wine or a VM, let me know, I would be interested!!