Windows 10 install

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
I am at the last step where I need a BI server for my system. I am looking at eBay for Dell computers and was wondering about Win10 install. I want a SSD for the Win10 boot drive and I have seen several at good prices but without a SSD. I was thinking it may be a good deal to just buy my own SSD and install myself.

My concern is this: If Win10 is already loaded on a SATA HDD can I get it moved to a SSD that I install? I am old school on building my own computers and the last time that happened I had the Win install DVD. With MS going to download etc. I don't know what restrictions I would be under for licensing etc or if I could even uninstall from the HDD and then reinstall on the SDD. Any installed HDD would be removed and replaced with a WD Purple. I have never bought a used computer off eBay before. I always bought components and built mine from the ground up.

Any assistance or thoughts would be appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If Win 10 was the native O/S then you can replace the HDD with a SSD, download and create a USB stick with Win 10 on it using the MS Media Creation Tool, install Win 10 on the SSD and it will activate with a digital license (the activation code is embedded in BIOS). If an OEM builder replaced another O/S on the PC with Win 10, there could be a sticker with the Product Key code on it; if so, enter that 25 character code IF ASKED. You don't need to deactivate beforehand, etc.

The whole process should take less than 15 minutes.

Put Win 10, the BI program and BI's "db" folder on the SSD, video clips to the WD Purple / surveillance-rated HDD.

Last edited:

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
Should a product key for the OS be provided with the computer when purchased off eBay? Or is a product key even needed when using the MS media creation tool? I'ma'thinkin before the tool is downloaded, MS checks the OS version installed and halts if an earlier version (Win7) is used. In other words I won't be able to download and get the USB drive ready using my personal Win7 laptop before I purchase the Win10 BI server. All this will need to be conducted off the eBay purchased computer?

Would I be able to load this Win10 onto my older Win7 laptop if the hardware supports it? Not sure about this licensing thing.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If it’s a corporate type desktop then the key will effectively be held in the BIOS so just install W10, if prompted for a key select the option I don’t have a key and after the install completes it should activate.

In my house we have a number of Dell, Fujitsu and HP desktops and I’ve never had to enter a key.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an older motherboard and the key is in the BiOS. win10 went onto a new NvME drive with no problem with authorization codes.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use ANY PC you want to download the tool and create the USB drive to install Win 10; it doesn't have to be the one that you're planning to install Win 10 on.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the motherboard supports an NvME go for one of those. They're faster than an SSD which is really nice for the boot drive.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
You can use ANY PC you want to download the tool and create the USB drive to install Win 10; it doesn't have to be the one that you're planning to install Win 10 on.
Thanx

TallPaul

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVME is all fast, the PCI4 stuff is faster than PCI3, but assuming you have an older motherboard just but the PCI3 stuff as its still very fast over SSD (4-6* faster) and you only need a small one for the boot drive. You can also get a PCIE *4 card adapter for NVME, which is why I just got on backfriday for an older machine with no NVME slot on the board. Note if you plan to boot of the NVME you need later motherboard with a slot on the motherboard usually.
For a boot drive... SSD is still pretty fast - its only windows.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've bought and installed 4 Samsung EVO 860's and 3 Samsung 870's this year; all worked great, not a hitch installing Win 10...one of the best upgrades you can do to a machine with a HDD, especially a laptop.

Old Pentiums and Celerons with 4 GB of RAM booting up and waiting for your input in less than 25 seconds; 3rd gen i5's with 8GB in about 15 seconds..quite an improvement, IMO.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S855 with i7=3610QM@2.30GHz running Win7

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A laptop isn't optimal for use as a BI machine. The processors will throttle with heat generated by the CPU. Video processing is pretty CPU intensive. If you're only using a few cameras and use sub streams you may get away with it without any severe problems. The other problem is video storage. An SSD/NvME is not normally used for operations that require a lot of writing to the "disk" and video is always writing to the disk. Plus there's a storage size problem. I have a modest storage system at around 12TB and wish I had more. External drives will not handle constant writes either so you're limited to recording alerts/triggers only and a lot can be missed that way.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
A laptop isn't optimal for use as a BI machine. The processors will throttle with heat generated by the CPU. Video processing is pretty CPU intensive. If you're only using a few cameras and use sub streams you may get away with it without any severe problems. The other problem is video storage. An SSD/NvME is not normally used for operations that require a lot of writing to the "disk" and video is always writing to the disk. Plus there's a storage size problem. I have a modest storage system at around 12TB and wish I had more. External drives will not handle constant writes either so you're limited to recording alerts/triggers only and a lot can be missed that way.
Yeah I understand a laptop won't cut it for the BI server. I was kinda replying to Tony R above. I misunderstood and thought he was talking about the OS install where I might be able to upgrade my personal surfing laptop from Win7 to Win10 using the MS media creation tool. I am actually looking @ i7 11700 desktops for the BI server.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, OK. It should still be possible to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 using the Media Creation Tool. I did that with my BI machine three or four years ago with no problems, Pro version of Win7 to Win10/Pro.