Will Reolink Argus work with BI?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these or know if this Reolink cameras will work with BI? As a battery \solar powered setup I could make use of this outside for critter watch where I have no power but can still catch a decent WiFi signal from the house.

Reolink Argus2

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The product description says not NVR compatible, so the likelihood of getting it to work with BI is slim to none.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks I had read elsewhere REOLINK cameras are compatible with BI and other software NVR but apparently only certain lines of cameras they pproduce are compatible.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Avoid Reolink and Foscam.
Why specifically? I hear that a lot on this site but usually just opinion statements like, "they are crap" without any real world testing \ comparison results. You test a lot of cameras here, (Thanks for that I like your reviews!). Do you have hands on testing with either of these brands? I have an old Wifi connected Foscam PTZ I use to watch my cats in various areas around the house. It's always worked great, connected fine to BI with 24/7 recording...even dropped it a flight down onto hardwood floor and still works. So they are not the better quality image as Dahuas or Hiks but in my experience it works fine for it's intended purpose and the image is decent for 1080 day and night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why specifically? I hear that a lot on this site but usually just opinion statements like, "they are crap" without any real world testing \ comparison results. You test a lot of cameras here, (Thanks for that I like your reviews!). Do you have hands on testing with either of these brands? I have an old Wifi connected Foscam PTZ I use to watch my cats in various areas around the house. It's always worked great, connected fine to BI with 24/7 recording...even dropped it a flight down onto hardwood floor and still works. So they are not the better quality image as Dahuas or Hiks but in my experience it works fine for it's intended purpose and the image is decent for 1080 day and night.
If you would take the time to actually read the posts you will see that there is a issue specifically with blue iris because you cannot set the I frame interval. Furthermore the company lies and spam's forums as well as post fake Amazon reviews. You don't need to test a camera with a crappy sensor to know how it's going to perform. their hardware is crap and their firmware is even worse. But please buy it so you can see for yourself. You can build your own kit if you need a battery camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use search the question has been asked many times before.
I like google search
site:ipcamtalk.com reolink

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @nbstl68

FYI -
Numerous members have covered and restated the reasons with regards to Reolink cameras.
Technical reasons have been pointed out.
Reviews also have been done, and sample videos compared.
Reolink company ethics have also been discussed.

mipo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 ptz models,too. And they both worked great. I'm a new bird.So I use their own foscam app. Their app is not good enough but worked.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wanted to test things for myself and had a budget that allowed me to do so, as a result I have installed multiple camera brands, ranging from Hikvision to Dahua to Hosafe to Reolink to Aliexpress $29 no-name cameras to several hundred dollar PTZ cameras. You definitely do get what you pay for. The cheaper brands often default to 'phoning home' and make it difficult to disable such behavior. They often do not work well with NTP servers. The cheaper brands lack settings and options that make communicating with Blue Iris reliable (ie: iframe or oddball audio and video codecs, high MP but terrible sensors [it doesn't matter if it is a 5MP camera if the sensor doesn't allow you to tell a cat from a raccoon], non-standard (or non existant outside of their mobile apps) PTZ and audio support.

ie: Anything that uses the 'Net Surveillance' web interface belongs in the garbage....that is not to say that you cannot find a use for it (paperweight maybe?), but for the time and effort put into making it work and secure it, a more expensive, higher quality camera that can be set up more easily will make up for the time/effort costs and then some. The Reolink i was given to use was also nearly worthless and it didn't take long for it to end up in the dumpster. Thanks to this forum I have completely avoided Foscam and will continue to do so.

Accusing forum members, who have a great deal of experience with cameras and their setup, of hysteria and a conflict of interest without providing any evidence other than your opinion does nothing except reduce your credibility. Their attitudes are based on their (and others) experiences and, in my opinion and from my own testing, should be heeded as much as possible.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a camera that you think is good do a full blown review. Remember to include dark night video with motion from a person. There are plenty of cameras that work in the day with no motion, that look good. Motion at night is what separates the good cameras from the junk.

An example of a good Looney2ns review ......

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good information and discussion. Thanks for the responses.
I totally agree motion at night is key. Every review should include that.

So, are there any decent options for a similar setup of a solar powered motion capture camera like this out there that is not crap?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good information and discussion. Thanks for the responses.
I totally agree motion at night is key. Every review should include that.

So, are there any decent options for a similar setup of a solar powered motion capture camera like this out there that is not crap?
Dahua has a solar kit that can turn any camera into a solar camera... Or you can build one yourself why limit yourself.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score