Will my ISP Changing my IP stop a current hack?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question as I am still pretty uneducated on the topic but working on it.
IF, say my computer and \ or a camera on my network gets hacked, then my ISP randomly changes my IP address as they often do, will the attacker or hack still be able to access it or will the hacks be terminated because the attacker would no longer have a path through the correct IP address to get in?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If someone is attacking your IP address, the attack will stop (against you, at least) when you change IP addresses. But if you have vulnerable devices accessible from the Internet, the bots will find you again before long.

permaN3wb

n3wb
Reaction score
If a "hacker" is able to access a backdoor, install and/or execute an implant, or is targeting a MAC address changing your ISP-assigned IP address will not stop them from doing so. It might be a speed bump, at best. If you think you are being hacked you need to address your internal security (firewall & device settings).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
MAC addresses do not cross routers. But yes, if someone actually installed a RAT, all bets are off.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You were found before. If your ISP gives you a new addr, you'll be found again.
the bots will find you again before long.
Mr_D is correct.

It seems you're going down a path of "Security through Obscurity"
ie: using a new external IP addr will obscure you from the bad guys on the internet.

In the immortal words of an earlier revered member of this forum (nayr):
"Obscurity is NOT Security"

the hacks will be terminated because the attacker would no longer have a path through the correct IP address to get in?
Wishful thinking. The hacks will be temporarily interrupted. If you haven't hardened your defenses, and increased the security of your system, you'll be found again.

Consider this analogy:
"My house was robbed. I moved, and changed my home home address. I hope I won't be robbed again." Wishful thinking. The previous thief may not rob you again. Small consolation when a new thief breaks into your new place.

Use a VPN. See the "VPN for Noobs" thread on this forum. nayr (see above) started that thread, it gives guidance to protecting your home cam network.

Sorry for the harsh words, there's no easy way (for me) to help people wrestle with this.

Reaction score
If a device is infected, it doesn't make the slightest difference what your public IP address is. The device will be making outgoing connections to the hacker's server so it can receive instructions.
This, exactly. Any infected device will reach out (think cloud-based devices) and tell its master, "Hey, HERE I AM."

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I looked into installing Open VPN on my router.
It is an AP/ROUTER combo provided by my DSL provider Centurylink. They tell me I it's not compatible and can't install a VPN on it.
So, now what?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I looked into installing Open VPN on my router.
It is an AP/ROUTER combo provided by my DSL provider Centurylink. They tell me I it's not compatible and can't install a VPN on it.
So, now what?
Depending on exactly how this ap/router works, you may be able to simply use only its "modem" function and not use its router. If that is possible, then the easiest way I know of doing this is to buy one of the Asus routers that has OpenVPN capabilities built in. I think this will likely be possible, but someone familiar with your exact modem/router gadget will have to chime in.

Let us know the exact make and model of your modem/router gadget.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ISP's (Centurylink) router is a Zyxel c1100z. They confirmed it cannot have VPN firmware used on it.
I do have an ASUS N56U router I am not currently using.
I think this router may be able to do that. Any instruction on how to load VPN firmware to it if it can take it?
Also, any idea how where I would connect the ASUS into my current setup to work properly?
My current setup is DSL to house connects to a managed POE switch. The ISP's router, the computer running BI, cameras and everything else is connected to the switch directly. I assume I would have to turn off the ISP's WiFi too?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that router has a dd-wrt or tomato firmware for it. However, check out the following forum, they may direct you to some other firmware that has openVPN and help set up your network with it. As for WiFi, you could turn off the ASUS router WiFi and continue to use your Zyxel for WiFi.

ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Edit: Firmware for router: padavan / rt-n56u / wiki / EN / CommonTips — Bitbucket, but note that I never used it...

Last edited: