Will All cameras eventually get AI Firmware Upgrades?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was watching a couple of videos about AI, (basic person vs. non-person detection in this case) now being added to the existing Wyze cams for free. And it is not dependent on cloud servers either.
Now I have no idea how well they do it as I do not own one, but if they can do it for a <$40 camera, I wonder why hasn't Dahua or other big players offered similar AI as a firmware upgrade feature yet, (instead of having to buy a new camera from their AI series model line)?

AI | Wyze

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was thinking this question would drive at least some interesting discussion....:idk:

Being able to have my cameras trigger accurately when a person is in view vs. all the false alerts for wind, rain, bugs, sunny-to-cloudy false triggers that seems near unavoidable with current NVR or BI settings would be a big deal to me....but I don't want to replace my cameras with a whole new line of cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Because for now, they can get you to buy a new camera. ;)

I suspect in 5 years time a lot of things will change relative to Firmware, cloud services, etc.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a good question and it's possible, as Wyze has shown with their xnor.ai partnership. Whether it will happen, I am not sure. On the plus side, Wyze's success here (we tested it and it worked well) puts pressure on all the professional manufacturers. Simply based on past history, most will likely require new cameras or add on analytics but there is a chance that others use xnor or pursue similar types of hardware optimizations for conventional chips to run deep learning.