Wifi range extender (poe)?

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey there -

This isn't at all related to BI or my security camera system. I'm not planning on adding any wifi cameras.

Currently I'm using this TP-Link RE210 wifi range extender in my house which has worked alright, but I'm wondering if I can't do better now that I have the ability to run my own cable and use PoE? I'm just now starting to research this a little bit so I'm hoping some of you folks might already be using something that works well.

Do I gain much by switching from what I have to a PoE range extender?

My router, if it matters is an Asus AC1900 (rt-ac68u).

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're running cable what you're looking for is an 'access point' not a range extender.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there -

This isn't at all related to BI or my security camera system. I'm not planning on adding any wifi cameras.

Currently I'm using this TP-Link RE210 wifi range extender in my house which has worked alright, but I'm wondering if I can't do better now that I have the ability to run my own cable and use PoE? I'm just now starting to research this a little bit so I'm hoping some of you folks might already be using something that works well.

Do I gain much by switching from what I have to a PoE range extender?

My router, if it matters is an Asus AC1600 (rt-ac68u).

Thanks!
that router supports AiMesh – Powerful Whole-home Wi-Fi, The Way You Want
you would need another similar unit...
you can run ethernet between them to further enhance performance if you wish
[AiMesh] Can I set up wired connection between AiMesh routers (Ethernet backhaul)? | Official Support | ASUS USA

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Fenderman - guess I should have looked into that a bit more. I saw it advertised when I bought the router but figured it was some gimmicky thing. I'll check out the links, appreciate it!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you run a cable with AiMesh, you're turning the extra routers into access points. The AiMesh is basically just an easier setup process that might be able to do things like optimize the output power of different APs.

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tangent The router I think was ~$120, maybe a little less. I'm not sure I need anything more than an access point and so maybe I should compare cost. If you are familiar with them, is ~$120 more or less than you'd expect to pay for a decent AP? I'm guessing more, considering it is a router and can be used for a lot more then a standard AP.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent The router I think was ~$120, maybe a little less. I'm not sure I need anything more than an access point and so maybe I should compare cost. If you are familiar with them, is ~$120 more or less than you'd expect to pay for a decent AP? I'm guessing more, considering it is a router and can be used for a lot more then a standard AP.
I'd expect a good AP to be in the $80-150 range.
You mentioned PoE in your OP, but indoors you're generally within 6' of an electrical outlet. If you needed PoE you'd be looking at an AP with PoE (like for a ceiling mounted AP).

Another Asus router would be the simplest option.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score