WIFI over POE? Help! Moved to new house w vaulted ceilings, ditch LaView POE cams for LaView WIFI (gasp)? Opinions?

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

First off I'm not a noob but I also am not super interested in security cameras, so I'd really love some hand holding :). I'd love to hire a pro but I don't have that kind of budget. I am about to switch from POE cameras to WIFI cameras unless somebody can talk me out of it or offer any suggestions?

I researched on this board a year ago and based off recommendations here upgraded my crap 5 year old Lorex to the wired LaView 8 channel NVR with POE turret upgrade (4k 8.3mp), standard bullet (4mp) and Swann dome cameras as my budget would allow. I only got half of them installed before I was forced to move, but the ones I got installed worked well. Still have 4 NIB.

Now I am in a new house and all the ceilings are vaulted. I have little to no access to run any wires inside of the home/attic. After trying to run some CAT5 I gave up in frustration and ordered the below kit off Amazon. It hasn't arrived and now I'm having regrets.

I see most of the consensus on here is STAY AWAY FROM WIFI. I understand why to the pros, but for a novice who really values installation costs and time, is it REALLY that bad? Will I notice a huge difference? The reason I never even installed the other 4 cams was what a PITA it was to wire everything. Is it mostly just concern of getting hacked, or are the WIFI cams really that bad? What about a mix of wired and wireless - is that possible? Can I convert my POE cams to wireless with an adapter?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

old wired: LaView 4MP 2688 x 1520P Full PoE IP Camera Security System, 8 Channel H.265 NVR w/ 4K Output, 4 x 4MP Full HD (2688 x 1520) In / Outdoor IP Cameras (No HDD Included, Sold Separately) - Newegg.com

New wifi:
"
LaView Wireless Wi-Fi 8CH HD 1080P Security CCTV Surveillance System – Six 2MP Wireless Wi-Fi Indoor Outdoor IP Cameras

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi will NOT be reliable. It will cause problems with your other wifi devices.
With a little studying, and help from here. There is almost always a way to run cable.
Take some pictures of the soffit areas of your house and post them here.
And of the garage if you have one attached.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Homeplugs could be a better option if no way to run cable but above ALWAYS a way to run a cable.

Reaction score
I have a few LaView WIFI cams indoors, not the ones you are getting, but still LaView, that I bought directly from them. I bought these BEFORE I found IPCAMTALK. I still use a few indoors where running Cat5e would be a piti vs just plugging in to 110ac. But I do NOT rely on them for security. Mostly used for dog monitoring when I am not home.

Pros:
1. Did not have to run Cat5e.
2. Simple placement.
3. Real cheap.
4. When they work, fairly decent daylight 1080p image and ok IR image (indoors and up close).

Cons:
1. Still had to run the power cable to an outlet.
2. Grandkids love to move them.
3. Go off line several times a day. Therefore, they have a high chance of being offline just when you need them.

I have a WIFI repeater less than 10' from one of the cams with no walls in between. It still goes offline several times a day. A couple in the garage (that I am replacing with hard-wired Dahuas) are offline more than they are online. Another one that is just downstairs from the WIFI access point (floor in between), restarts several times a day, sometimes four or five times in ten minutes, and then will stay online for a few days.

I gave up contacting LaView support. Mostly never got an answer, but when I did, they either did not understand what I asked, or I got a canned response that had nothing to do with my question.

Some folks have gotten good results with a Powerline Ethernet Connection, like this one:

That is just an example. There are other brands that are cheaper. Do a search here for threads on them.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some folks have gotten good results with a Powerline Ethernet Connection, like this one:

That is just an example. There are other brands that are cheaper. Do a search here for threads on them.
I concur, they do have their place. FWIW, I had over 2 years of flawless connectivity from these $50 a pair TP-LINK AV1000 gigabit powerline adapters until lightning took one out; it's exact replacement's been running since March 2019 without a single hiccup.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all. I decided to stick with wired, called a few pro's to get quotes on running cat5. Appreciate the responses and you have the same conclusion I did!