WiFi in Garage and BlueIris

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie attempting 2 projects. This project is putting cameras around my parents complex (based on my learnings from the 1st project.)

I would like to put 8 dome cameras in the garage...but I can't wire or even PoE. (Too many concrete hangs would make conduit bends a nightmare and leaving the cable exposed would invite trouble since it is all within easy reach of a wire-cutter.) I have access to electrical by tapping off the 24/7 garage lights. So I can run a short conduit to a box to mount the camera.

Good news is everything is within 75 feet of a central point and line-of-sight.

I am planning on using a Linksys WRT1900ACS router, a Linksys SE4008 WRT switch, and 5 other wired Dahua IPC-HDW1300E cameras for outdoor placement.

Again, BlueIris to a computer.

I would appreciate suggestions on good-quality, no fuss dome cameras...and even feedback on the router and switch and Dahua choices.

Thank you.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm probably not the right person to recommend domes. Sounds like they don't need ir for in the garage. Do they need audio? Maybe just one could do audio?
Simply gauging by traffic here, I would go with hikvision. What size is the garage and what field of vision do the cameras need? 8 sounds like way too many without any more info. Whatever models you select, I would buy one of each type (inside, outside) to see how you like them and see what it does to the cpu load on BI and especially the WiFi bandwidth. You may have already read on here that WiFi is the wrong solution for ip cams... You could also use one to find your best signal strength if you stick with wifi. Also, I wouldn't expect you to find cameras that support AC. I could be wrong. Maybe you would have better luck with one or more N APs on different channels.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about using EoP ?
http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA411KIT.html

Not perfect but way better reliability and speed that wifi - also allows wider options for cameras.

Consumer wifi AP's and routers like that just plain out suck for reliability. Sorry guys, they do. If you REALLY need to go wifi (and please do not) then use some quality (entry level) gear like Ubiquiti. It is not much more expensive, but it will just work and stay working for a long time.