Wifi cam in outbuilding question

CBS999

n3wb
Reaction score
good day. I am installing Hikvision¹ wifi cameras in a home. 3 cams are within router range, but the 4th is in a garage about 50 feet from the main house made of block. I had thought about using an AP and hoping 2.4 would penetrate the block for the camera but instead decided to go with powerline to the inside of the bay, into a wireless router set as AP to pick up the cam. Thats my plan, will it work?
The garage feeds from the house panel and does have a secondary sub panel in the garage which I don't think should cause an issue. Can I get your thoughts please.
Thx in advance

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As with everything, your mileage may vary with the PLA. You may also experience dropouts with just the two Wifi cameras connected. Wifi is not really meant for the constant, high, load of video surveillance transmission.

Your out building might be better served with a dedicated, encrypted, RF link like the Unbiquity Nano Station Loco M5. I use one and it handles two cameras, one 2M and one 4M, without any problems or dropouts at all. These are dedicated wireless links, not Wifi.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CBS999

n3wb
Reaction score
As with everything, your mileage may vary with the PLA. You may also experience dropouts with just the two Wifi cameras connected. Wifi is not really meant for the constant, high, load of video surveillance transmission.

Your out building might be better served with a dedicated, encrypted, RF link like the Unbiquity Nano Station Loco M5. I use one and it handles two cameras, one 2M and one 4M, without any problems or dropouts at all. These are dedicated wireless links, not Wifi.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5
These cams will be set for motion detection for when Ed is in the garage playing with his tools so Bonnie can keep an eye on him remotely. He just had a pacemaker put in, and she is concerned. Only one cam is my problem. I hope powerline and a simple wireless router in 2.4 in the garage bay will suffice. She does not want wires at all (except power)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck with the wireless router. In a case like this I'd think that reliability would be a paramount consideration. What's the difference between a power wire and a network wire for a PoE camera? Wire is wire. Three of these cameras would give you video and two-way audio, not to mention pretty decent video and can run Wifi as well.

You may want to look at this thread as well -

CBS999

n3wb
Reaction score
I have confidence a 300mbps 15$ router will handle one wifi cam. As this one cam has a 4 step equipment, it should be ok. Router to powerline to router to cam

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Testing someone did with wifi cams that might be worth a read:

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Three are basically three 2.4ghz channel you can use that doesn't interfere each other, 1, 6, and 11.
You need to survey the environment and see which channel has the least interference.

As for the equipment you have, they should work depend on the setup and environment.

Last edited:

CBS999

n3wb
Reaction score
So I messed up and here is my fix.
I thought I was buying cloud wifi cameras with sd cards and subscription. This Hikvision has an NVR with antennas which can't be repeated and will not make it to the outbuilding. So I took the TP-Link router and turned it into an unmanaged switch at the NVR side. The powerline will feed the camera directly and the TP-Link will handle internet, 1 Camera, NVR, and computer. - To do this, I logged into router 192.168.0.1, disabled DCHP, set the router to Access point mode, and for extra set the Static to 192.168.0.2. Voila, a 15 dollar four port unmanaged switch.