WIFI bridge help

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a split off of my other thread that got out of control. I have a job where a guy wants 2 cameras per stable in 8 or 9 buildings.

I need to network together 9 buildings. There are 2 clusters of buildings with 4 or 5 buildings in each cluster. One cluster each building is 100 feet or less from each other and the other cluster is th same. THe cluster of buldings are 300 to 400 feet apart.

I have will have about 2 cameras per building and internet access provided to wifi customers. The first cluster is at a higher point than the other buildings but nearly all have line of site. I was thinking of a multipoint ubiquiti system but I'm confused on whcih poducts to get.

Any ideas on equipment?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a clear line of Sight between all points? If so go for 5GHz as you'll get more speed and less interference..

Can you provide a satellite image of the location and mark which building is the primary building with all the recording equipment?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of buildings have line of site but not all. I can provide an image but it's going to be an old satellite photo. He just built 4 or 5 new buildings.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of buildings have line of site but not all. I can provide an image but it's going to be an old satellite photo. He just built 4 or 5 new buildings.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would this work
Would the Nanostation with secondary poe work?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without LOS WiFi connection is not guaranteed; you might be able to get a 2.4 signal to bounce around it enough but that will sacrifice throughput if it works.. you need to be weary this time of year as leaves fall you may get LOS now but loose it again next spring..

A NanoStation will work, bridging the PoE works but only in reverse from instructed.

If 2 buildings in your each group have LOS to eachother bridge them and link the local buildings to them, if those buildings are on the edge of the group you may be able to use 2 NanoStations, one pointing in a way to service the local buildings and the other to longhaul (maby this one is 5GHz) between groups.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can I just link each building together with the Nanostation or bridges. Like daisy chaining them or would lag be too bad?

There are no trees really and the tree s he does have are tiny.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it would increase latency, and were at distances well within limits so I think best way would be uplink each building to a centralized location then a point to point backhaul to connect groups of buildings together..

here's an image I found on the UBNT forums, showing a point to point backhaul and a nanostation to assets without clear LOS to the backhaul.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How far does that 360 degree antenna shoot? Is that the best over a sector based antenna

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my omni directional 30ft high will serve mobiles within 300ft (not horribly fast on the fringe), it would have no problem getting LOS to a directional antenna a kilometer away.

at your distances you should expect ~100Mbit throughput and pretty solid connections presuming there is not alot of interference.

it depends on the layouts of your buildings if you need omni or directionals, since were talking about fixed buildings in fixed locations its best to use directional antennas for bridges as it wont muddy up the spectrum like a bunch of omni's.. you will only have so many channels to work with..

check the spec sheets for the angles of the directional antennas, they even have some adjustable sectors you could setup on one end of the property and cover all the buildings if they are in-line.

typically the building housing the NVR's, Internet, etc would be the "base" and you'd put a mast up high enough every other building can get a LOS connection to this omni. and each out building then has a directional link back to base.. The rocket is designed to handle the base operations and the NanoBeams/NanoStations are deisgned to be the other end of the bridge.. The Rocket should be able to service several dozen client bridges at once without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could try the omni and if it doesn't work get the directionals.... I have a building that is straight across from the other cluster of buildings that I can setup a back haul between. I was thinking of putting an nvr at each set of buildings. He also wants to share Internet on a signal account with a few users. Each building has a separate Internet account and router he can save a ton of cash.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What kind of directional sector antenna do you reccomend. There are no buildings behind the tallest building on north side of property

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to do the top picture but with tall towet being second cluster of buildings

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if its going to service all 8 bridges to the buildings I would go with an AirMax Rocket with proabibly a 120 sector degree beam, your not dealing with really long distances so I dont think you need a really narrow beam unless all your buildings are all lined up..

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Airmax-2-4GHz-degree-Antenna/dp/B004FVIFR0/

Just make sure all the buildings are within this 120 degree FOV..

Then NanoStations/NanoBeams on the out building pointing to the base.. and hopefully a 5GHz backhaul to connect it all up to NVR/Internet

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IF the buildings are within the FOV of the 120 degree antenna will the speed be better?

I may have to draw you a picture of what I saw. I don' think money is really an object for this guy, he is just looking for reliability.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a google maps photo but its old so it doesnt have any of the new buildings on the south end and also the arena is has a roof now I believe. Also 2 new buildings in the north east.View attachment 1305

Here is my awesome drawing20140920_002357.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
directional narrows the signal and allows it to reach out further with a stronger signal, best your going to get is 100Mbps because thats the port speed of the base ap.. a 90-120 degree on that north east building with the yellow and red cars would cover pretty much that entire shot with a good signal and if you position it right those 2 large trees wont be in between you and any buildings.

I think 5GHz would work fine here for connecting the buildings, then inside the buildings run a traditional 2.4GHz AP or two for basic wireless internet inside those metal roofed buildings..
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/

Ubiquiti's AirMax line is designed for PtMP/PtP High Speed links with high powered radios on both sides; Ubiquiti's UniFi line is designed to be the end user access points that talk to smaller radios found in Laptops/Mobiles/SmartTV's/etc.. both work together to build large wireless networks very well.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like if you get up on the roof of one of those buildings in the middle of this plot it should have good LOS to all the other building's roofs..