Wide vertical angle camera

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there any cameras that have, for lack of a better word, taller vertical view? I have one located at my entrance area outside my house. The space is about 7' wide and 8' tall and about 12' deep. I have the current 2.8mm camera placed up in the corner on the wall with the door so that the visual is facing people walking onto the porch. I would also like to be able to see the porch including the deck area in front of the door where packages are placed by delivery drivers. What I find is that the cameras I have don't have enough vertical view in order to see some ones face when they are standing on the porch and also include the entire deck area. Is there a camera that has the ability to have a taller field of view? A 360 might work, except when a person stands at the door and ring the doorbell all I would see is the back of their head. A doorbell camera would work as well, however I don't have any cabling access to that area and I would like to using the existing cable I already have installed.

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just rotate the camera view in the GUI?
Well I did try that and it did nothing. But I get the idea. Physically rotate the camera 90 degrees and then rotate the image. Check all of my other cameras and they don't have that option.

Maybe its time for an upgrade?

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^This.

What camera are you using?
Hikvision DS-2CD2135F-IS (This one has the rotate option but it does nothing)
Hikvision PCI-T18F2S
Empiretech IPC-Color4K-T-Black-2.8mm

The other two I can't seem to find the rotate option if they even have it....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally 5 megapixel cameras will have a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the 16:9 in the four megapixel and 4K cameras.... On the flip side these sensors are generally smaller and produce an inferior night image...

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally 5 megapixel cameras will have a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the 16:9 in the four megapixel and 4K cameras.... On the flip side these sensors are generally smaller and produce an inferior night image...
Yes, the one in question is a 4:3 capable camera and it's still not enough to cover the area. It's not great at night and has a dome with a broke seal.

I'm still thinking time for an upgrade.

Is there any camera that someone has that can confirm that the rotate option works? I would be interested in a 5442 if it can rotate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the one in question is a 4:3 capable camera and it's still not enough to cover the area. It's not great at night and has a dome with a broke seal.

I'm still thinking time for an upgrade.

Is there any camera that someone has that can confirm that the rotate option works? I would be interested in a 5442 if it can rotate.
The lens size would of course also matter. You need to look at the specs for the camera you're interested in.. some cameras will not allow you to rotate if you're using the max resolution...

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Follow this, to set Hallway or Corridor mode on Dahua capable cams:
1. rotate cam (or lens if possible) 90° for a 'portrait' mode image, but sideways image
2. flip image 90° via camera UI to correct image orientation

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Follow this, to set Hallway or Corridor mode on Dahua capable cams:
1. rotate cam (or lens if possible) 90° for a 'portrait' mode image, but sideways image
2. flip image 90° via camera UI to correct image orientation
Got it. I see it in the menu Camera - Image - Image - Flip - 90° :thumb:

I am guessing a 5442 will be capable of this as long as the resolution is at a compatible size.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got it. I see it in the menu Camera - Image - Image - Flip - 90° :thumb:

I am guessing a 5442 will be capable of this as long as the resolution is at a compatible size.
Your post is very helpful. I am going to have to try this with another camera. I have been using a 4:3 aspect ratio camera at my front door, and your suggestion sounds a lot better. Today was the first time in years that a UPS delivery driver actually delivered a package to my front door, and as you can see from the attached video, it would help if I had a camera with a narrower field of view.

Attachments

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your post is very helpful. I am going to have to try this with another camera. I have been using a 4:3 aspect ratio camera at my front door, and your suggestion sounds a lot better. Today was the first time in years that a UPS delivery driver actually delivered a package to my front door, and as you can see from the attached video, it would help if I had a camera with a narrower field of view.
With the added funny music, I thought he was going to fall down or drop the package by accident or something....:)

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently installed a 5442 varifocal, rotated it 90 degrees, and it worked perfectly for my space. As you can see its right beside the door, yet the space directly beneath and the rest of the entryway is all visible.

1684989134584.png