Wide angle that rivals 5231R at night time?

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need something a bit wider, not quite 180 degrees but that would be really nice if I could get it

Ideally dome, IP68 but its the night time performance I need as this will monitor a garage door and also the rear of my yard.

Any suggestions? Im a bit overwhelmed by the number of models available :/

Thank you IpCamtalk!

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There isn't a lot out there (In fact nothing outdoor, with good quality night that I am aware of) that does a wider angle than about 112°. If possible you could just two cameras side by side, that has the benefit of better view as well, since the focal length would be longer, of course it is 2 cameras instead of one.

Another option would be maybe a PT/Z, something like the SD1A203T-GN, or if they are available and you don't need or care about zoom, SD1A200T-GN, would do you well. They have IR, 105° hfov (with the 2.8 lense) and a Starvis sensor, so it should be great at night.

There is also something like the SD29204T-GN, which has a 112°, but it's not a starlight, although the night view wouldn't be useless, just not as good as starlight cams.
Looks like a good option that PTZ unit. This will be outdoors but out of the weather and direct sunlight. I cant seem to find it on Andys site. Is this a new model 4thmouse?

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies - SD1A203T-GN looks like the one to get. OK, ive dropped him an email. Ill go find your review :D

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like exactly what I need! Ill try and get a few of them

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This will be outdoors but out of the weather and direct sunlight.
Domes generally don't fair that great in direct sunlight. Two of the biggest mistakes people make are installing their cameras too high and using too wide of a lens in an effort to see everything while in reality ensuring that they don't have enough detail.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah however he said it'd be undercover and out of direct sunlight :), And the is the nice thing about the PTZ is he can fine tune the aim and focal length and still have quality night image. It looks like this dome fits this scenario well.
Hmmm... I need more coffee. They were also asking about an IP68 rating which few if any cameras have.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered the SD1A203T, so lets see.

Its under a carport on a timber ceiling, it wont get direct sun or weather but I like the durability of IP68 enclosures. Im sure this will be fine.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Makes complete sense. IP66 will be more than enough then - thank you!