Wi-Fi network for BI with no internet?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I've recently started adding some wireless ancillary cameras to my BI set up and was wondering if there was a way I could create a separate network for these with no internet access using the BI camera IP range and subnet?

Here's my set up:

- BI machine NIC 1 - Has internet access. Takes in the main home network with internet access from ISP.

- BI machine NIC 2 - Takes an ethernet cable from the NIC directly to then uplink of the PoE switch powering all the IP cameras in BI. They are all wired cameras. These have no internet access as this NIC has no access to the main home network with ISP.

What I need is to preferably extend this second network with no internet access and lay some wireless IP cameras on it with no internet access.

Is this possible? I have a couple of extra routers I can use.

Bonus wish: I have a large house. Is it possible to build this second wireless network and expand the range of this network wirelessly, connecting networks, wirelessly?

Can someone please napkin and/or detailed instruction this path for me if possible? The more detailed you get the better for me.

Thank you!

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still very much a novice here, however, I attached a separate wireless router to my poe switch (which is connected to nic-2 which has no internet.) I don't currently have any wireless cams, but wanted to use a tablet with tinycam to wirelessly access my wired cams. Is this what you're looking for? I don't see why wireless cams couldn't connect the same way while still keeping them off the internet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are way over-thinking how easy it is...

What you are trying to accomplish is to get your wireless camera on the same IP address range of your cameras. This is accomplished by taking an old router and logging into it and assigning it an IP address that is the same IP address range as the cameras IP address range and assign it an unique SSID (maybe WiFi cams lol) and password. Now this wifi router is simply another device on that IP address range.

Then take an ethernet cable and attach this Wi-Fi router to the same switch as your cameras. Now it is like an access point for the cameras.

Then you wirelessly connect the wireless camera to this wifi router by telling it to connect to the SSID of this router.

Since you then do not connect it to the internet, this wifi router does not have internet access and thus the camera doesn't either.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are way over-thinking how easy it is...

What you are trying to accomplish is to get your wireless camera on the same IP address range of your cameras. This is accomplished by taking an old router and logging into it and assigning it an IP address that is the same IP address range as the cameras IP address range and assign it an unique SSID (maybe WiFi cams lol) and password. Now this wifi router is simply another device on that IP address range.

Then take an ethernet cable and attach this Wi-Fi router to the same switch as your cameras. Now it is like an access point for the cameras.

Then you wirelessly connect the wireless camera to this wifi router by telling it to connect to the SSID of this router.

Since you then do not connect it to the internet, this wifi router does not have internet access and thus the camera doesn't either.
Just to clarify, though...On that wireless router you're going to convert to a wireless AP (Access Point):
  • Turn off / disable DHCP.
  • Assign it a static LAN IP in the range as stated above by @wittaj
Thanks @wittaj and @TonyR! Happy new year as well guys! Couple of follow up questions guys:

1. Which ports do I connect from the PoE switch to the spare router? (not WAN, but a port 1, 2 or etc?)

2. Since DHCP is off... Can I create wireless APs on this spare router to get range needed throughout my house?

P. S. @wittaj check your DMs man LOL!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still very much a novice here, however, I attached a separate wireless router to my poe switch (which is connected to nic-2 which has no internet.) I don't currently have any wireless cams, but wanted to use a tablet with tinycam to wirelessly access my wired cams. Is this what you're looking for? I don't see why wireless cams couldn't connect the same way while still keeping them off the internet.
I think so bud. Can you share your router settings and cables and ports config on how you laid it out?

Separate topic, why are you using Tiny Cam over the BI app, are there benefits to it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj and @TonyR! Happy new year as well guys! Couple of follow up questions guys:

1. Which ports do I connect from the PoE switch to the spare router? (not WAN, but a port 1, 2 or etc?)

2. Since DHCP is off... Can I create wireless APs on this spare router to get range needed throughout my house?

P. S. @wittaj check your DMs man LOL!
Yep connect it to one of the LAN ports.

Yep - same process except you are not giving it internet

OK lol

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried Tinycam a
I think so bud. Can you share your router settings and cables and ports config on how you laid it out?

Separate topic, why are you using Tiny Cam over the BI app, are there benefits to it?
I think you may be over-thinking this. I don't recall that it matters which port it's connected to on the switch. Set it up as indicated above.

I tried Tinycam a couple years ago when I set up my system and liked it so much, I never even looked at the BI app.