Why work on Windows 12 when Windows 10/11 still isn't the perfect OS?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am just shocked at all the consumer crap that's on windows builds that are pre-loaded onto new computers. It's more of an entertainment toy than a serious tool, and few buyers will know how to get around the required microsoft account, and they blindly follow the path to load all of their data to the cloud.
You are so right.

Even on a clean install there's a bunch of crap to disable that causes slow-downs (tips & tricks, updates for other PC's, report inking info, Windows spotlight display, animations, etc. and more). And I haven't had to set up or use a MS Account on any PC that I've installed Windows on cleanly OR on any client's new PC that I've activated, Win 10 and Win 11.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My blueiris machine is Windows 11 and now my home automation NUC is too. It seems to be fine. There's a few little oddball things I prefer 10 over, but I don't really use those machines very often.

My home laptop and my work laptop are both 10 and I prefer to keep them that way.

My old rule of thumb was that Microsoft went on an every-other good/crappy cycle. Windows95/98 was good, ME was bad. XP was good, Vista was bad. 7 was good (really good), 8 was terrible. 10 is good . . .

I started on 3.1/3.11, and really cut my teeth on Windows 95.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
My blueiris machine is Windows 11 and now my home automation NUC is too. It seems to be fine. There's a few little oddball things I prefer 10 over, but I don't really use those machines very often.

My home laptop and my work laptop are both 10 and I prefer to keep them that way.

My old rule of thumb was that Microsoft went on an every-other good/crappy cycle. Windows95/98 was good, ME was bad. XP was good, Vista was bad. 7 was good (really good), 8 was terrible. 10 is good . . .

I started on 3.1/3.11, and really cut my teeth on Windows 95.
I still use 3.11 LOL

189.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I got 6 pc's laying around the Bedroom....4 Optiplex & 2 Precisions All begrudgingly on 10 except the BI machine is on 11....after support for 7 ended and the free upgrade to 10 showed up....I upgraded all the PC's that I support to 10.
Windows 12 ( if it keeps a similar kernel) will be like windows 10 version 2 or 3 probably...
11 reminds me of a game of Hide and Seek....or Hide and go fuck yourself...I just want the Control Panel....not a " settings" window with obfuscated shit......
So since Windows 8 I have purchased Stardock softwares Start 7 on up thru Start 11 to keep the Windows 7 style home button or Start button available as well as the legacy menu's like Control panel etc...VS. the 3rd image below of Win 11 default desktop.
1699950035180.png

1699950057811.png

1699950128314.png

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
11 reminds me of a game of Hide and Seek....or Hide and go fuck yourself...I just want the Control Panel....not a " settings" window with obfuscated shit......
I still have a shortcut on my taskbar for the control panel! Funny how some of the new places they like to hide settings will sometimes take you to the control panel. 23H2 they have tried to hide stuff even more.

202.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still have a shortcut on my taskbar for the control panel! Funny how some of the new places they like to hide settings will sometimes take you to the control panel. 23H2 they have tried to hide stuff even more.

View attachment 177817
Yep, I've put a Control Panel icon on the taskbar down below on every Win 10 and 11 I've set up in the last several years, probably 50 or more (who counts) and totally agree it's a labor saver and common sense addition.....:cool:

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Two reasons.

1. A new major release allows M$ to sunset existing OS support, forcing enterprise customers to purchase new licenses and likely require new hardware.

2. I suspect 12 will be targeted at the new QCOM ARM mobile processors with AI and ML. Think Skynet.

IMG_2049.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got 6 pc's laying around the Bedroom....4 Optiplex & 2 Precisions All begrudgingly on 10 except the BI machine is on 11....after support for 7 ended and the free upgrade to 10 showed up....I upgraded all the PC's that I support to 10.
Windows 12 ( if it keeps a similar kernel) will be like windows 10 version 2 or 3 probably...
So since Windows 8 I have purchased Stardock softwares Start 7 on up thru Start 11 to keep the Windows 7 style home button or Start button available as well as the legacy menu's like Control panel etc...VS. the 3rd image below of Win 11 default desktop.
View attachment 177812

View attachment 177813

View attachment 177814
I've put Start8 and Start10 on probably 2 dozen or more PC's where the owner complained so much and it's been a great issue resolver for them. Most were former XP and Win 7 users that suffered trauma when the "start" button either disappeared or functioned too differently for them.

Great software for $5, IMO.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While Windows 11 might be more stable, I'm an old dog and it is hard to teach me new tricks. My complaint about Windows 11 is strictly with the GUI refresh. I can't seem to find SHIT on that computer when I need to..... (Adding the Control Panel to the task bar is a great idea that I will certainly be implementing. The fact that we have to do that show just how bad the GUI really is however).

As such, I am sticking with Windows 10 for as long as possible. Knowing MS, Windows 12 will be a completely different GUI too, so why send the time trying to learn W11? Perhaps I'll just make the jump to W12.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While Windows 11 might be more stable, I'm an old dog and it is hard to teach me new tricks. My complaint about Windows 11 is strictly with the GUI refresh. I can't seem to find SHIT on that computer when I need to..... (Adding the Control Panel to the task bar is a great idea that I will certainly be implementing. The fact that we have to do that show just how bad the GUI really is however).

As such, I am sticking with Windows 10 for as long as possible. Knowing MS, Windows 12 will be a completely different GUI too, so why send the time trying to learn W11? Perhaps I'll just make the jump to W12.....
I couldn't have said it better (and I think I did state similarly on another thread) regarding Win 11. It takes me 5 minutes to find, look at and change network settings in 11 that took me 30 seconds in Win 10...or even Win 7.

IMO, Win 11 is an effort to win over Mac users... or drive away existing MS users:cool:

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Gee, what could go wrong?? Microsoft has such a high success history with their hardware division.....