Why use a substream?

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would you use a substream? I'm just a homeowner and I like seeing my cams + recording when there's motion. Do I really need my IP cameras sending out a sub-stream?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's easier on the computer, all motion detect settings can be applied to the sub-stream, but you can still record the main stream. That's the short answer, I'm sure others will have more detail.

Edit: I have 11 cameras, utilise the sub-stream, and the CPU right now is showing 6%. I'm not sure what the figure would be if all 11 cameras were only main stream, the CPU would go through the roof.

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. How do I point the Triggering to the substream, while the Recording is the mainstream? And... if the substream is a different aspect ratio, how so I make sure the motion zones will work correctly? THANKS!

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First check:
Camera Settings / Video / Configure - in there you have the option to select a sub-stream, it may already be filled in. If it's not simply re-load it by clicking Find/inspect button, hopefully the sub-stream will autofill.

Then:
Camera Settings / Record, check 'Video' and select your preferred recording option. I use 'Continuos'. That records both main and sub-streams. If you select 'Continuous + alerts' only the alerts are recorded in main stream and everything else is is recorded in sub-stream (this caught me out).

Reaction score
I'm just a homeowner and I like seeing my cams + recording when there's motion.
You can miss important video if you only record on motion. See below: