Why Powerline Adapters are not good for IP Camera systems:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Good info from the video, and I appreciate it, but my conclusion would be that powerline adapters "might not" be good for IP camera systems. With my highest data rate cameras running at 4 mbps, the 24 mbps rate in the video, I assume, would work well. For a 4k camera at 30 fps, maybe not. Without a few other brands and models tested, there's a bit of assuming in the "not good" conclusion.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good info from the video, and I appreciate it, but my conclusion would be that powerline adapters "might not" be good for IP camera systems. With my highest data rate cameras running at 4 mbps, the 24 mbps rate in the video, I assume, would work well. For a 4k camera at 30 fps, maybe not. Without a few other brands and models tested, there's a bit of assuming in the "not good" conclusion.
Most of the time I have use powerline adapters in a camera install is when the router wall cavity was no way accessible from the attic. Either because the router cabling was pre-wiring during construction or the lazy installer literally drilled a hole through the outside block into the inside room and stapled the CAT5 on the outside of the house.

The times I've used a powerline is when I route all the camera cables to the attic above the garage and installed a switch in the attic above the garage door opener. At this point now you would have multiple cameras being transmitted over a powerline adapter to the room where the router and BI computer would be.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SmallNetBuilder has tested many powerline adapters. The results show up in a few sections of their website
Here's one: Powerline Charts - Downlink Throughput

If you're going to use powerline, you should generally go for what's going to be the fastest like AV2 MIMO. I would also strongly suggest looking at the test results liked above. If you look at smallnetbuilder's results, you can also see the if you're lucky actual speeds will be about 1/10th of the speed the mfgs claim.

Last edited: