Why PFA130-E has top and bottom marked inside?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does it matter really? I'm sure you don't want an access hole on top, but other than that? Maybe the screw pattern for non turret style cameras? It's not stopping me from installing but thought I'd ask.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's what I figured, another interesting observation. The turret completely covers the mount holes for the junction cover.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I also found it to be a little fiddly with the turret base covering the screws for the junction box lid. From memory I found the best way to do it was to

Mount the back of the junction box to the wall. I used silicon sealant around the screw holes and rear cable entry point even though there's a thin gasket. I also put a bead of silicon around the top back of the box where it meets the wall.

Make of the rj45 crimp plug connection and fit the waterproof cover. The O ring goes on the camera socket end. Use mastic tape on unused Jack plug.

Split the camera from its base. Best to use some sort of shelf / platform to set the bits on or even better some sort of neck bag to take the weight of the camera while you feed the plug through the cover for plugging in. Although I didn't it is highly recommended on here to use dialectric grease on the terminals. You'll have to put this connection to 1 side of the box to fit the lid.

At this point I put silicon sealant around the outer edges of the lid before securing it. I also put a blob in any unused screw holes.

Screw camera base to junction box lid

Push the slack on the camera pig tail into the centre of the junction box.

Fit round waterproof cable bung into centre of junction box. Slit to bottom

Fit camera, wait for image and a smile is also recommended lol.

Other things I did

I tightened the screw bungs up as well on the cable entry points. They don't come to tight from the factory.

I drilled an 1/8 drain hole in the bottom bung on the box. If any water does make its way in it will drain.

I also found out after I bought mine and fitted them there is a better box. Though maybe not as nice to look at.

@Wildcat_1 has highly recommended them in other threads. Square box and looks like the bulk of the prepwork could be done on the ground and a camera could be swapped in minutes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got two PFA130s mounted on trees and didn't use any sealant between the lid and box, camera and lid. I was doing some swap out chores and had them both open last week, after a year. Dry as a bone inside. They seal pretty well on their own it would seem.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got two PFA130s mounted on trees and didn't use any sealant between the lid and box, camera and lid. I was doing some swap out chores and had them both open last week, after a year. Dry as a bone inside. They seal pretty well on their own it would seem.
They do seem well made too be honest .It's probably a case of me over thinking things lol

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 has highly recommended them in other threads. Square box and looks like the bulk of the prepwork could be done on the ground and a camera could be swapped in minutes.
[/QUOTE]

Yes highly recommend the PFA 122 (3 hole) HERE
and PFA 121 (4 hole) HERE as they feature interchangeable faceplates that make it easy to mount the cam to the plate on the ground then quickly switch out at location. Always have a number of these on hand, work great on the 3 hole Dahua & Hikvision cams

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of mine are mounted upside down where the cable needs to enter from the top and I've had no issues with water ingress.
Hi IAmATeaf

As i say the boxes do seem well engineered. My use of silicon relates to the installation of external lights and sensors etc I find even the more expensive fittings leave a lot to be desired as regards waterproofing. So hence my belt and braces approach.

Can i ask if you used a cable compression gland on the entry port? If so what size?

There was some discussing on this as regards size metric, imperial or there's another PG size to add to the confusion.

Thanks

Griswald

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I also found it to be a little fiddly with the turret base covering the screws for the junction box lid. From memory I found the best way to do it was to

Mount the back of the junction box to the wall. I used silicon sealant around the screw holes and rear cable entry point even though there's a thin gasket. I also put a bead of silicon around the top back of the box where it meets the wall.

blah blah

blahblahblah

Great write-up Griswalduk, I actually felt my shoulders starting to raise towards my ears and jaw clench as if I was doing an installation... alone. Arecont , IQeye, hikvision, axis and vivotek are my limited exposure to installations, but I seem to care the least for the dahua install experience. However I do humbly submit, I have only done a handful of the dahua installs with their mounting box, so far.
I appreciate that they keep the footprint small with the PFA130 junction box, but it is a pain in the buttocks that the turret base covers the screws for the box cover. The inclusion of a short tether (cable) between the PFA130 base and its cover would be of help more often than not, like I have seen on the PFA121 boxes.
As I write this I am having a small epiphany of making my own cable to hang the camera from the PFA130 center opening (for grommet) once the cover is in place in order to juggle less things while the turret base gets attached.

Their mount boxes are decent quality, and in a similar fashion to Griswalduk, I also give all the hole plugs a twist to tighten and use silicon on the top edges when they have direct exposure to the wet elements

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
@SpacemanSpiff see post #8 the box wildcat uses looks like a brilliant box from a maintenance perspective though not as visually appealing. It sounds like your in the business and this may be a better option for you in certain circumstances i.e. Commercial as opposed to residential.

@Wildcat_1 have you any pictures of a turret / eyeball installs using the PFA121 boxes. There has been some interest here and I'm sure others as well as myself would like to see the overall result.

Less time spent up a ladder can only be a good thing lol

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

and PFA 121 (4 hole) HERE as they feature interchangeable faceplates that make it easy to mount the cam to the plate on the ground then quickly switch out at location. Always have a number of these on hand, work great on the 3 hole Dahua & Hikvision cams
I concur with @Wildcat_1

The base is the same with PFA 121 and 122 .. so if you need to upgrade your camera you can just swap the lid and not have to remount the box .. this is what I will do next time when I need an external junction box ..

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
@SpacemanSpiff see post #8 the box wildcat uses looks like a brilliant box from a maintenance perspective though not as visually appealing. It sounds like your in the business and this may be a better option for you in certain circumstances i.e. Commercial as opposed to residential.

@Wildcat_1 have you any pictures of a turret / eyeball installs using the PFA121 boxes. There has been some interest here and I'm sure others as well as myself would like to see the overall result.

Less time spent up a ladder can only be a good thing lol
Yes, would definitely consider the PFA121 in some settings. Became familiar with them during a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E install.

Interestingly.... the IPC-T5442T-ZE does not list them as an option for installation, though

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, would definitely consider the PFA121 in some settings. Became familiar with them during a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E install.

Interestingly.... the IPC-T5442T-ZE does not list them as an option for installation, though
I wonder is it an error / typo in the spec sheet.

Maybe @wildcat1 or @EMPIRETECANDY could confirm if they fit. I'm sure they have installed / sold many 5442's

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder is it an error / typo in the spec sheet.

Maybe @wildcat1 or @EMPIRETECANDY could confirm if they fit. I'm sure they have installed / sold many 5442's
The 5442T-ZE turret DOES fit in the PFA122 that’s how I run most of them that I do. I’ve been sharing this tip for a while and it really is a game change for quick install swap outs with the added benefit of being able to mount on the ground. I keep a number of the PFA121s and PFA122s specifically for this. Mount the box once and just switch the plates……easy.

Does it look as elegant for turrets mounting on a square plate instead of having it all circular using a PFA130, no, but it’s not a huge problem In my experience and the practical mounting benefits certainly outweigh the aesthetic gains in most cases. This is especially true when you want to switch turret for bullet cams etc or from 3 hole to 4 hole cam requirements doing it with the 122 & 122 is a great way to go.

Now with that said for restricted install spaces, entry ways, porches super close to doors, interior surveillance, installs in ceilings etc the PFA130 (only talking about for turrets here) works well and if they are stationary installs (that will always be turret style) you may opt for that look.

For me I keep buying the 121s and 122s :)

HTH and will grab a pic of a 5442 on the 122 over the next day or two if interested

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
.... I’ve been sharing this tip for a while and it really is a game change for quick install swap outs with the added benefit of being able to mount on the ground.
Guess I had not found that corner of this forum til now. So much reading... so little time ;)

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442T-ZE turret DOES fit in the PFA122 that’s how I run most of them that I do. I’ve been sharing this tip for a while and it really is a game change for quick install swap outs with the added benefit of being able to mount on the ground. I keep a number of the PFA121s and PFA122s specifically for this. Mount the box once and just switch the plates……easy.

Does it look as elegant for turrets mounting on a square plate instead of having it all circular using a PFA130, no, but it’s not a huge problem In my experience and the practical mounting benefits certainly outweigh the aesthetic gains in most cases. This is especially true when you want to switch turret for bullet cams etc or from 3 hole to 4 hole cam requirements doing it with the 122 & 122 is a great way to go.

Now with that said for restricted install spaces, entry ways, porches super close to doors, interior surveillance, installs in ceilings etc the PFA130 (only talking about for turrets here) works well and if they are stationary installs (that will always be turret style) you may opt for that look.

For me I keep buying the 121s and 122s :)

HTH and will grab a pic of a 5442 on the 122 over the next day or two if interested
Thanks again wildcat1

Great detail great response :)

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Just to confirm, the 5849 (Color4K-X) 3 hole would work fine with the 3 hole PFA122?

Also, can the junction box be mounted horizontally? That was always my plan in the spot I have, but I can alter that location if mounting it horizontally would invite water ingress etc.