Why can't lorex NVR system support NAS back up?

kelingdun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi: I have the lorex LNR280 NVR with 6 camera system I bought from Costco for three years. Generally like it and Costco has a better system now with 3MP camera. But one fatal flaw that the lorex NVR has is that it only support a local back up ( connect another hard disk next to the one inside). This is stupid because a thief that enter could just take the box and there is no trace of any evidence. This is counter to the purpose to have a security system! I called and emailed lorex to complain, they confirmed their newest system, the LNR416 NVR still cannot support backup to NAS!

Anyone figured out an aftermarket solution?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi: I have the lorex LNR280 NVR with 6 camera system I bought from Costco for three years. Generally like it and Costco has a better system now with 3MP camera. But one fatal flaw that the lorex NVR has is that it only support a local back up ( connect another hard disk next to the one inside). This is stupid because a thief that enter could just take the box and there is no trace of any evidence. This is counter to the purpose to have a security system! I called and emailed lorex to complain, they confirmed their newest system, the LNR416 NVR still cannot support backup to NAS!

Anyone figured out an aftermarket solution?
This is not a priority because NVR theft is very rare...if you are paranoid, buy a second cheap NVR...this will give you true redundancy...

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know of any NVR with the capabilities you proclaim are missing.. iirc Lorex is based off Dahua hardware and none of my Dahua's are capable of NAS recording.

You have a couple options:
1. Secure your NVR so someone cant just walk off with it.
2. Install a 2nd NVR on your network and put it somewhere else it wont be found.. but if you can do this the above option should be good enough.
3. Install local SD cards in the cameras and keep a copy of recordings there.

texazian

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got an LNR416 also.... Not sure what Lorex Tech is smoking.. .but ....

You can FTP your live videos to and NAS FTP server. Only downside so far is that you cannot select the videos to transfer ONLY LIVE videos. You can select the length of video and the download interval. This is done through the Network > FTP setup. Here's a vid that helped me.
It automatically chooses "DAV" file.. So you'll need to download the player from Lorex.
Here's the link.. Not sure why the links are under a "discontinued" folder

Lorex video players for DVRs and NVRs client software | Lorex by FLIR click See more to see other models

The other way is to use an USB disk and plug directly into the NVR.... then you can select the vids you want. This of course is a MANUAL process.