Why are TV Cameras still HUGE and expensive?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I stumbled across this video and thought it to be interesting. I didn't understand all of it, but it gave me a better understanding about cameras in general.

They also show the difference in 8.4mm and 900mm focal lengths. I wish they would have said how far away the subject was though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without even watching the video I can think of 2 things that drive the cost up:
1) the optics/lens system
2) It exists in a very vertical market, not that many sold and not that much competition so the R&D costs have to be recovered in a relatively small number of sales.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Camera bodies are cheap just like automobiles. It costs $$$ to make them drive right.
Did you want to buy a spare tire too? Heck I'll even throw in a battery with the deal... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Whoops, I went back to my automotive days..

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Without even watching the video I can think of 2 things that drive the cost up:
1) the optics/lens system
2) It exists in a very vertical market, not that many sold and not that much competition so the R&D costs have to be recovered in a relatively small number of sales.
Over $200,000 of the $250,00 is just the lens, and this doesn't even include the cost of the camera.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I use to work in production at a local news station in my hometown 20+ years ago. Even then, we had $30k studio HD cameras and the damn studio tripods they sat in were tens of thousands of dollars as well.

Production level gear is expensive. That’s why no one wants to broadcast in 4k. There isn’t a desire to move to it because it’s expensive to upgrade all the equipment and infrastructure.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Trust me, even Arjun knows that a camera with a long telephoto lens is the way to go especially when it comes to broadcasting volleyball and wrestling ;)