Who has Dahua NVR54xx series? Thinking about upgrading

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I started my IPC hobby with Amcrest cameras almost 3 years ago. Used a raspberry pi as a ftp server. Eventually, got an Amcrest NVR 4116E.

Now that new dahua cameras have IVS support, it's time for me to upgrade, most likely to a NVR5216-4KS2E but I'm really, really liking the NVR5416-4KS2. This thing has dual NIC which is a huge plus as it supports load balancing and I can segregate the cameras on a separate VLAN poe switch, but at the same time, still be able to access the camera individually without having to http into the camera interface to try to talk to the camera.

Does anyone have any thots?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a 5216-16P-4KS2. I did fancy the 5416 too, but I preferred to have all the cams on the on-board POE ethernet ports, so I could "sacrifice" that second nic (and avoid investing in a separate POE switch).

One could argue that these onboard POE are a "seperate" vlan, but indeed, you have to go through the NVR interface to "activate" the internal port forwarding to be able to configure the cams (in the case you would need to). Which is, luckily, not very often once deployed adequately.

Hope this helps!
CC

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, my in-law and my sister both have the 5216-16P-4KS2. I ordered it for them from Andy.

The problem is I'm trying to put this thing in a small enclosure (I need to remove it from the stock enclosure) but because of the built-in POE, the motherboard is wider. I found that the non-POE version has a much smaller/narrower motherboard. But I'm trying to justify paying almost 40% more for a 5416 vs. 5216 just to get the extra Ethernet port...

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, my in-law and my sister both have the 5216-16P-4KS2. I ordered it for them from Andy.

The problem is I'm trying to put this thing in a small enclosure (I need to remove it from the stock enclosure) but because of the built-in POE, the motherboard is wider. I found that the non-POE version has a much smaller/narrower motherboard. But I'm trying to justify paying almost 40% more for a 5416 vs. 5216 just to get the extra Ethernet port...
If you're adventurous, you can take out the mainboard from the 5216 :) you'll save a couple of inches :)

But on-topic: keep in mind these things become hot inside a closet!

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A possible solution to reducing heat and also noise may be to use another PWM fan, as I believe that the plug on the motherboard is the same type used in PC's. So may well be worth an experiment with an old PC fan laying around.

Noctua would be a wonderful choice if the plug is the same, longest life fans with good noise characteristics.